Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Looking for New Machine
Question 
Looking for New Machine
I have a 7 year old VPAP Adapt SV and would like to get a new one. My thinking is they may have improved operationally and have more data points to analyse. Plus the one I have needs to be hooked up via cables to a computer to download the data and it only saves 3-days of detailed data.

In trying to determine which machine has the same capabilities is mind boggling. I'm thinking it is the AirCurve 10 ASV. Right or wrong???

I have Complex Sleep Apnea. I'm going to see a new sleep doctor (PA) tomorrow as my old one is 120 miles away and I'm not sure of the new one's knowledge. My last one did not have ResMed and so the only info he had was what my DME "faxed" to him and I provided the data via CD because the DME didn't know how to get it off the machine.  Sad

Thanks...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Looking for New Machine
Hello Steve,

I just started using a new Resmed AirCurve10 asv on Feb 2nd.  I have learned that the ASV machine is not the best option if you have heart issues.  My sleep doc did a sleep study and echo cardiogram prior to prescribing the ASV machine to me.

I love this machine so far.  I have had AHI's > 5 (6.6) for only one night since I have had it.  Otherwise, I have been well below 5.  I have been on CPAP/BIPAP since 1986.  This is by far the best equipment I have had to date.  The data capabilities are amazing.  Having the the heated tubing is new to me and works great!!

The bottom line is that you should ensure your heart is healthy enough and that it is the right machine for you.  It is not made for everyone.  I am grateful that my doc ordered the sleep study and echo cardiogram prior to prescribing my equipment.

Good luck on your journey to find your new equipment!

Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
The caution for congestive heart failure with a LVEF < 40% applies to any brand of ASV. Assuming your CA is not related to advanced congestive hearth failure, you're correct that the Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV is the current model for your legacy machine. The previous generation was the S9 VPAP Adapt SV. Eitther offers full data capability and similar treatment algorithms that seem to follow spontaneous breathing well, and provide a breath when you need it The S9 would save some money if you find one, and the Aircurve 10 is a modern full capability ASV machine. The only other one out there is the Philips Respironics Auto SV Advanced. Most people I have talked to prefer the Resmed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2017, 07:55 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The caution for congestive heart failure with a LVEF < 40% applies to any brand of ASV.  Assuming your CA is not related to advanced congestive hearth failure, you're correct that the Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV is the current model for your legacy machine.  The previous generation was the S9 VPAP Adapt SV.  Eitther offers full data capability and similar treatment algorithms that seem to follow spontaneous breathing well, and provide a breath when you need it  The S9 would save some money if you find one, and the Aircurve 10 is a modern full capability ASV machine.  The only other one out there is the Philips Respironics Auto SV Advanced.  Most people I have talked to prefer the Resmed.
Thanks for that. The machine I have does not have "S9" in the name and is different shape/looking than the "S9's" I assume it is newer or am I wrong on that?

I'm also glad you mentioned "most peoples preference" because my DME was trying to get me to switch DR's to her suggestion because she does not like the ResMeds as well. I'd hate to be suckered into something I would be unhappy with. Other than the data capabilities of the one I have I'm happy with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does it look like the S8?  This is the older model from 2006-2009. As far as Philips vs Resmed, it's not an easy argument. At first blush, the Philips Respironics Auto S/V Advanced offers more ability to fine-tune therapy through settings. Timing, flow rate and many other variables can be precisely set to obtain different effects. Where the Resmed VPAP Adapt or newer Aircurve ASV shine is that the automatic settings do this better for most people. It seems better at calculating the average respiration rate, flow and volume, and allowing for spontaneous breathing, but is quick to respond in a natural way when pressure support is needed. It seems "most" users say it feel natural, and a low event rate gets recorded. With the Respironics, it seems there is a long adaptation period where a high event rate occurs, and complaints of "it feels like the machine is forcing me to breath" are heard. All of this is just my observation of many users here, and your doctor may have very good reasons for her conclusions.

[Image: vpap-adapt-sv.jpg.CROP.thumbnail.453X343.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, that's it. I had no idea, but should have because the serial no. Starts with 2007.
Thanks for the detailed information.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a current user of the Respironics Bi-PaP Auto SV Advanced (the System One 950 model). The 960 was an update to that with minimal changes. Sleeprider has extensive knowledge and understanding of this field and not to be taken lightly. He has a preference for the ResMed machine and its algorithm/response. I personally prefer the Respironics. If finely tuned, and yes it takes some effort, I found it more supportive than the ResMed (granted the one I compared was one that looked like the S-8). While the Respironics has the ability for more things that can be adjusted, which I like, it really is a matter of personal preference and what works for you. They are both great machines.
NOW - the real reason for inserting myself into this discussion is the following information. The System One 960 is now officially "discontinued" - though I am sure there are a number of them out there in the supply chain. I was speaking to Respironics last week and casually asked what was going on and if a Dream version of an auto SV advanced was coming out. The answer I got, from two different people inside Respironics, was that they had been told that it should be released the end of this month, i.e. February 2017. Just some info for you. Good Luck and easy sleeping!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2017, 03:43 PM)robertbuckley Wrote: I am a current user of the Respironics Bi-PaP Auto SV Advanced (the System One 950 model).  The 960 was an update to that with minimal changes.  Sleeprider has extensive knowledge and understanding of this field and not to be taken lightly.  He has a preference for the ResMed machine and its algorithm/response.  I personally prefer the Respironics.  If finely tuned, and yes it takes some effort, I found it more supportive than the ResMed (granted the one I compared was one that looked like the S-8).  While the Respironics has the ability for more things that can be adjusted, which I like, it really is a matter of personal preference and what works for you.  They are both great machines.  
  NOW - the real reason for inserting myself into this discussion is the following information.  The System One 960 is now officially "discontinued" - though I am sure there are a number of them out there in the supply chain.  I was speaking to Respironics last week and casually asked what was going on and if a Dream version of an auto SV advanced was coming out.  The answer I got, from two different people inside Respironics, was that they had been told that it should be released the end of this month, i.e. February 2017.  Just some info for you.   Good Luck and easy sleeping!
That is very interesting. I just got back from seeing the PA and he is definitely a Respironics man. He has prescribed a BIPAP autoSV for me, but the series was vague. Series one??? Armed with this info I will call my DME and see what they are ordering.
Thanks for the info.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to robertbuckley I contacted my DME and asked about what machine they were going to order. They said the 960 and when I asked about it being discontinued. The replacement is the Dreamstation Auto BIPAP. She didn't know what the availability would be do to some restraints by the DME's company, but would check into it and let me know. Apparently one of the features is a built-in modem vs a hang-on-the-back modem on the current model. Different size, shape, color notwithstanding...

Once again, thank you very much for the info.

Once I get the new machine I would like to get the software to view and analyze the data. Any ideas there?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi steve823,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I think #sleepyhead will work with your new machine, but hang in there for more answers to your question about data management software.
Good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and also with your new machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,209 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,799 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,757 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,251 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.