Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Looking for New Machine
RE: Looking for New Machine
(02-17-2017, 09:14 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: This is unfamiliar territory to me. You are relying on him for a prescription. His insistence is based on the ability to retrieve data I don't think he will ever look at.  Quite a conundrum.  In theory ASV is ASV.  The brand is solely for the convenience of the PA, and presumes he will even look at the data.

If the Dreamstation ASV is provided, be aware Sleepyhead may not work with it, and you would need to use Encore. It is even probably that the Encore available through the forum cannot read the data because we don't have access to most current versions.  It is a completely new machine, and it is likely the data structure is going to be different from the System One.  So I guess I would actually push for the PRS1 960 instead of the 900 series Dreamstation, assuming you can't get any movement from the prescribing physician.  In this case, it's not easy to simply use a different doctor. Your condition is not common, and it's not likely someone else can just stand in and issue the script.  This happens. http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots...the-mirror  https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/...a803f340c5 v
How would my Encore differ from what the PA's Encore would be?
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know what he is using, but likely a version of EncorePro which is actually a large SQL database program capable of managing many patient files. EncorePro is available from the forum, but I can't promise it can read the new Dreamstation. It certainly can read PRS1 960, as can Sleepyhead.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, I've been sitting here thinking (fuming) about this. I put in a call to my PA and never got a response-yet. So here's what I'm wondering: Should I make a big deal of this, maybe going back to my old DR., get insistent and refuse to take "no" for an answer? Or should I take the other device, use it for awhile and ask for a different one after using it for awhile? Or should I just take what he ordered and be done with it?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2017, 10:31 PM)steve823 Wrote: OK, I've been sitting here thinking (fuming) about this. I put in a call to my PA and never got a response-yet. So here's what I'm wondering: Should I make a big deal of this, maybe going back to my old DR., get insistent and refuse to take "no" for an answer? Or should I take the other device, use it for awhile and ask for a different one after using it for awhile? Or should I just take what he ordered and be done with it?

Opinion here would be helpful....

Is the Respironics DS BiPAP autoSV DSX900T11 an ASV machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry I missed the activity here. Both machines are ASV, the weakness is the Dreamstation will have no advanced software support.

I don't know how to get around a doctor that has specified dispense as written. This is a specialized piece of equipment and your doctor/PA has dug in his heels. Unless you can go around him to his boss, I think you're stuck. This is basically an issue of doctor control vs patient empowerment. Here are links to two other users of the Auto SV that posted today...I think you will see why I was trying to shift you towards Resmed.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...he-numbers
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...Pro-Locked
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for chiming in again. I thought I had been abandoned.....

I read somewhere EmcorePro 2 was supposed to work with the DreamStation. ? I have SleepyHead installed already so I'm ready to go when I get my machine. Wished it worked with my S8 data.

When I go in to pick up my machine I'm going to ask to see the Prescription. I guess I'll go ahead and try the machine. Who knows, maybe it will work. If it doesn't, I guess I'll have to do battle....

Thanks again for all your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
We don't abandon anyone here...we might forget to check though. Good luck with the machine. Even though it's not first choice, it should make things a lot better for you. Let's see how often you PA actually looks at the data. I'd say you have a reasonable expectation for good service if he insists on a machine that works with the software he is willing to use.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2017, 03:43 PM)robertbuckley Wrote: I am a current user of the Respironics Bi-PaP Auto SV Advanced (the System One 950 model).  The 960 was an update to that with minimal changes.  Sleeprider has extensive knowledge and understanding of this field and not to be taken lightly.  He has a preference for the ResMed machine and its algorithm/response.  I personally prefer the Respironics.  If finely tuned, and yes it takes some effort, I found it more supportive than the ResMed (granted the one I compared was one that looked like the S-8).  While the Respironics has the ability for more things that can be adjusted, which I like, it really is a matter of personal preference and what works for you.  They are both great machines.  
  NOW - the real reason for inserting myself into this discussion is the following information.  The System One 960 is now officially "discontinued" - though I am sure there are a number of them out there in the supply chain.  I was speaking to Respironics last week and casually asked what was going on and if a Dream version of an auto SV advanced was coming out.  The answer I got, from two different people inside Respironics, was that they had been told that it should be released the end of this month, i.e. February 2017.  Just some info for you.   Good Luck and easy sleeping!

Thank you for this information. I have been battling with my DME who keeps pushing the 960 at me for my Central Apnea. The doctor wants me using an ASV machine and not an auto bipap. The DME told me, with a straight face, that he has never heard of an asv machine which isn't the 960 bipap. Now it makes sense why he is pushing it on me.

DME sent me home with the second 960 model today because the first one was awful. I might have to ask the doctor to state a specific machine on the prescription, so he doesn't keep jerking me around about the machine. My sleep and health are worth being persistent. I am so grateful that my husband has been supportive through this and helping make them stay on top of it when I can't stay awake through a phone call.

I wondered why he didn't give me paperwork with the machine, but it being discontinued makes sense. I wonder how many people don't search for information and are stuck with whatever the DME chooses to give them? I am going to get more information about the discontinued model and then call my doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2017, 03:54 PM)Sleepy Beauty Wrote:
(02-14-2017, 03:43 PM)robertbuckley Wrote: I am a current user of the Respironics Bi-PaP Auto SV Advanced (the System One 950 model).  The 960 was an update to that with minimal changes.  Sleeprider has extensive knowledge and understanding of this field and not to be taken lightly.  He has a preference for the ResMed machine and its algorithm/response.  I personally prefer the Respironics.  If finely tuned, and yes it takes some effort, I found it more supportive than the ResMed (granted the one I compared was one that looked like the S-8).  While the Respironics has the ability for more things that can be adjusted, which I like, it really is a matter of personal preference and what works for you.  They are both great machines.  
  NOW - the real reason for inserting myself into this discussion is the following information.  The System One 960 is now officially "discontinued" - though I am sure there are a number of them out there in the supply chain.  I was speaking to Respironics last week and casually asked what was going on and if a Dream version of an auto SV advanced was coming out.  The answer I got, from two different people inside Respironics, was that they had been told that it should be released the end of this month, i.e. February 2017.  Just some info for you.   Good Luck and easy sleeping!

Thank you for this information. I have been battling with my DME who keeps pushing the 960 at me for my Central Apnea. The doctor wants me using an ASV machine and not an auto bipap. The DME told me, with a straight face, that he has never heard of an asv machine which isn't the 960 bipap. Now it makes sense why he is pushing it on me.

DME sent me home with the second 960 model today because the first one was awful. I might have to ask the doctor to state a specific machine on the prescription, so he doesn't keep jerking me around about the machine. My sleep and health are worth being persistent. I am so grateful that my husband has been supportive through this and helping make them stay on top of it when I can't stay awake through a phone call.

I wondered why he didn't give me paperwork with the machine, but it being discontinued makes sense. I wonder how many people don't search for information and are stuck with whatever the DME chooses to give them? I am going to get more information about the discontinued model and then call my doctor.

There is a newer ASV model now. It's a DreamStation The part number for our BIPAP autoSV is DSX900H11.
I've been having a problem with my DME as well. She told me the DR. prescribed the Respironics machine. So I called the DR. and the person I talked to was surprised at that and said he doesn't usually prescribe a certain machine. She was going to call the DME and talk to her. Promising to call me right back. That was 2 days ago so I don't know where we're at at the moment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to COmbe for finding and supplying the link to the Respironics brochure that now includes the DreamStation Bi-PAP auto SVs.
Here are the part (model) numbers for the DreamStation auto SVs in various configurations.

DreamStation BiPap AutoSV DSX900S11
DreamStation BiPap AutoSV with humidifier DSX900H11
DreamStation BiPap AutoSV with humidifier and heated tube DSX900T11

with Cellular modem add C05 or C - i.e.:
DSX900S11C05
DSX900H11C
DSX900T11C

Wi-Fi Modem add W05 or W:
DSX900S11W05
DSX900H11W
DSX900T11W

While I don't usually stick up for a DME - the fact that he didn't know these were available in the US is almost understandable as Respironics was really sitting on the release date, and until just now the 960 was the only Respironics Servo-Vent.  Shame on him for not knowing about the ResMed unit, however.  They are both great units - and when tuned in do a fantastic job of providing the PAP support required at higher pressures, and eliminating the centrals that can result.  I have just noticed that the Respironics unit has a high end pressure of 30 instead of 25.  Anybody know the top end of the ResMed?
    Now all take a deep breath and....  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,130 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,787 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,319 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,753 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,248 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.