Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Looking for New Machine
RE: Looking for New Machine
Sleeping Beauty, the Philips Respironics Auto SV Advanced 960 was only replaced wthin the last month by the Dreamstation. If your doctor is willing to let you try an alternative ASV ask for the Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV. Most people find this machine works with them much more naturally on auto settings.

The machine you are using can use #SleepyHead software so you can see if it is working. The software is free. Also, you can get a clinical setup manual for your machine by clicking on the CPAP Setup Manuals link at the top of this page. The manual is important to familiarize yourself with the more technical aspects of your machine and the available settings.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2017, 01:32 PM)steve823 Wrote: "Upper central Washington."

steve823:

I think we live in the same area. My primary care was a PA, Andy S. who went to work for a sleep dr.

Alan
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2017, 03:20 PM)Omak1 Wrote:
(02-15-2017, 01:32 PM)steve823 Wrote: "Upper central Washington."

steve823:

I think we live in the same area. My primary care was a PA, Andy S. who went to work for a sleep dr.

Alan

Close, Ephrata. My PA is Bill D. out of WVM. He says he has 4000 customers he sees over a wide area.
I did my sleep studies in Spokane associated with an MD. I had more wires sticking out of me than a porcupine has quills. Well, maybe not quite that much, but a close second. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, I'm getting nowhere and it's time to take a stand.
I need a quick comparison summary. The Respironics DreamStation ASV vs Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV.
Do they both have the same adjustable settings?
Do they both provide the same data?
Any distinction of one over the other that would affect a diagnosis?

Thanks....
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2017, 04:49 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Sleeping Beauty, the Philips Respironics Auto SV Advanced 960 was only replaced wthin the last month by the Dreamstation.  If your doctor is willing to let you try an alternative ASV ask for the Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV.  Most people find this machine works with them much more naturally on auto settings.

The machine you are using can use S.H.[url=http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./][/url] software so you can see if it is working.  The software is free.  Also, you can get a clinical setup manual for your machine by clicking on the CPAP Setup Manuals link at the top of this page.  The manual is important to familiarize yourself with the more technical aspects of your machine and the available settings.
The issue with the DME is he has a contract to only go through Respironics, but he didn't bother to tell me this information. My doctor let me know after speaking to the DME. The DME tried to make it seem as if I did not comprehend that the machine was set up to function as an ASV, so my doctor is sending my prescription to another DME in town.

My husband is so ticked off with the DME at this point. He even explained the algorithim on the Aircurve 10 to the DME and explained why he wanted me to use that machine rather than the one which is not working. My worst apnea episode scared my poor husband because I began convulsing, so he is the best advocate to have. I feel awful knowing my tossing and turning is harming his sleep.

You do have the right to seek out another DME if you are not happy. Finding a new P.A. will be more difficult of course. Thank you for the sleepyhead information. I am not able to use it because my computer has finally died. It would not be much benefit to have the information because I am back to waking up every 30 minutes to an hour. I haven't had more than two hours of solid sleep since I was changed to this machine. The second one seemed to work for humidity until last night when it stopped. I have no idea why there are so many issues with the humidity for these machines. I miss using a heated tube! I use oxygen with my machine, so no heated tube for me.

I hope you are able to get this worked out! As for a list of differences between the machines the only one I know of is based off of the information from the manufacturer if said machines. I don't know how helpful that would be to you. Having someone who has experiences with both would be the best bet. I won't have my new machine for another week or two. I certainly hope you have it resolved before then! If you do not I will let you know how it is going. As for me, I woke up and need to get back to sleep since it is almost 4:30am.
Post Reply Post Reply
Steve -
     The major difference between the machines is the algorithm that the machine uses to respond to what it senses is going on.  Trying to explain that in a short sentence is not possible, but includes not just how fast a response, but how long that response stays dialed in, what trips it and a bunch of other stuff - which you can dig out of various erudite articles - but won't tell you what you want to know - which should you get, what work will best for you.  Sleeprider has talked with a lot of people and believes that most folk adapt to and feel most comfortable with the ResMed machine.  THAT is probably the most important factor.  

I have used the PR machine(s) (started with Respironics when C-flex was cutting edge) and while I have used an F&P for a 14 day test for my Drs. research staff and the ResMed SV that looked like an S8 as a loaner to see if BiPap/SV was something that worked for me, I am on the PR 950 auto BiPap SV advanced.  The PR does have a few clinician adjustments that can be made that the ResMed doesn't. Other than that it is the algorithm, the algorithm, the algorithm that works best for YOU.  

I have a Doc that is brand agnostic - other than she really knows what the differences are -  and can sometimes suggest that the patient might respond clinically to a certain machine better than another.   She suggested that I go with the PR as it was what I was used to, not because it was better.  Also, she and I like to tinker with settings - but the ResMed probably would have worked just as well - and maybe better.  Don't know.

Given that whichever you choose you will be sleeping together for at least 5 years - I would try to see if you could test them out - even if it was a short chair nap at the DMEs - to see if you detected a difference.  If the SVs weren't so expensive it wouldn't be as big a decision. 

Not giving you a definitive answer - there isn't one.  Sleeprider would want a ResMed.  I would lean toward a PR, but wouldn't kick a ResMed out of bed.  Now that the Dream version of the SV is finally out - I may be looking at a new machine.  I am going to go through the same dilemma.  Do I want the new PR or the ResMed 10 ASV?
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, I finally got tired of being jerked around so I told my DME that since I was paying for it I wanted the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV. I just got an email from them today and she ordered what I wanted and said it would be in this week.
Yea..... I think? Looking forward to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2017, 08:41 PM)steve823 Wrote: OK, I finally got tired of being jerked around so I told my DME that since I was paying for it I wanted the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV. I just got an email from them today and she ordered what I wanted and said it would be in this week.

Whoa Steve!  Way to get it done.  I saw nothing but brick walls around you and you found the door. Cool!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2017, 09:25 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(03-06-2017, 08:41 PM)steve823 Wrote: OK, I finally got tired of being jerked around so I told my DME that since I was paying for it I wanted the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV. I just got an email from them today and she ordered what I wanted and said it would be in this week.

Whoa Steve!  Way to get it done.  I saw nothing but brick walls around you and you found the door. Cool!
Except that I haven't seen it yet....  Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
Those things can take time, but might be worth following up to remind them of their commitment.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,155 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,791 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,754 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,249 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.