Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

air pressure to mask much too strong (help!)
air pressure to mask much too strong (help!)
Hi All,

I live in Costa Rica (got my resmed s9 elite in the US) where availability of apnea support is not great.

About a week ago the air pressure to my mask went from normal to hurricane level!! I did all the setting checks that I knew about. Then I received the instructions to check the clinicians settings. Nothing seemed abnormal. I called the sleep clinic I used and spoke to the lady that setup my machine. She couldn't figure out the problem.

So I hope one of you guys might have an idea or suggestion on what is causing this, and how to fix it.

Much appreciated! /Ed
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: air pressure to mask much too strong (help!)
If you're set to a straight cpap of 14 Ed, then that's what the pressure should always be.

I'm wondering if you have the "ramp" turned on and therefor are usually asleep before the machine gets up to 14?

Also, I think you need to download the Sleepyhead software from the link at the top of the page. Install that so you can begin looking at your actual results. 14 is a fairly high pressure. Perhaps you need that, or even more. But you easily could be allright with something less, like 10 or 12. But you can't determine that until you see your ahi results, leak experiences, and so forth.

So if it were me, I would look at my "ramp" feature first. Then I would look at my ahi. If it is quite low, then I think I would take the pressure down to 13.5 for a few days and see how it goes. If acceptable, then 13....

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi tuanis,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might consider turning the ramp feature on at first 'til you get used to your machine.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you as you continue CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank for the replies.

Regarding the ramp, it does not affect the pressure at all. I have tried 0 to 45 minutes and the airflow remains very high (the same) at all stages. I am entering the 3rd year of using my machine. So I'm not a newbie. This just came out of the blue.

I have tightened my mask to the point of discomfort. But the air still gets out and whistles so loud my wife would prefer to hear me snore. Smile

PS i used the clinician settings and lowered my pressure to 8.5 for 2 nights and it did not change the airflow.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm with R_G on this one. Download the ResMed or Sleepy Head software and see what the pressure reading shows. Another method would be to actually measure the pressure by the air hose immersion test or with a U-tuber manometer or mechanical/digital equal.

I'd just take it back to the DME and have them check it. A pressure test with a digital meter is quick and easy...probably free too.

EDIT: Just read your last added comment. Something is broken and will need fixing. No point in doing any measuring.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have a hurricane then practically BY DEFINITION you have leaks.

Wind only occurs when there is a large pressure differential with communication. Your mask will always leak some, that is how it exhausts your exhalations, but if you are FEELING A LOT of WIND then it is leaking rapidly.

Either the seals are failing, the exhaust has failed (e.g., disconnected, missing part, worn out), or your mouth is open (unlikely in this case.)

Hurricanes (wind) CAN ONLY occur when air moves from one place to another rapidly (that is pretty much the definition of WIND.)

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
I had that hurricane feeling once when I had, after cleaning, puzzled together the various parts of the mask in the wrong way. With pressure set to only 6 ...
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2014, 09:38 AM)tuanis Wrote: Hi All,

I live in Costa Rica (got my resmed s9 elite in the US) where availability of apnea support is not great.

About a week ago the air pressure to my mask went from normal to hurricane level!! I did all the setting checks that I knew about. Then I received the instructions to check the clinicians settings. Nothing seemed abnormal.
. . .

Hi Ed,
This sounds like something in the control electronics may have died, perhaps one of the sensors, or controls for them.

Another poster had some trouble with pressure, and a method for testing the pressure using a tub of water was suggested. Since you're in Costa Rica and it may not be simple to have your unit tested, you might try this:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...4#pid78204

Other than that, it sounds like it would be good to acquire a backup machine.

Good luck with the troubleshooting.

A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I really appreciate it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 514 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 354 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33
  Do mask types affect xpaps rise in eye pressure? Happyeyes 4 363 01-12-2024, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mask for High Pressure on ASV PamVT41 8 544 12-16-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,638 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Mask pressure wave form with obstructive events jaredihnen 6 448 12-07-2023, 04:10 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 922 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.