Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironic blue gel mask
Humidifier: Resmed S10 autosense
CPAP Pressure: 4-18
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

RE: Machine Internal Disinfecting and Maintanance
I keep a light cloth over my machine, This helps keep dust from settling on the top of the machine. My mom doesn't do this and her machine looks dusty on the topside of the machine. This may or may not reduce the dust the machine pulls in, but at least it looks clean on the outside:grin:
11-17-2014 06:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

I only got so far with taking the machine apart. My computer tool kit has the right tools but they aren't long enough. I have torx (T10, by the way) the right length somewhere, gawd only knows where. It may have to wait until this weekend for me to get the right ones. I need them anyway for something else. And I hate the screwdriver for the computer kit. It doesn't hold the blanketyblank bits. Drives me nuts.

But I did take pics as I went! If nothing else, to remind me how to put it all back together. And I created a brand spankin' new Photo Bucket user just for this.

http://s1371.photobucket.com/user/PaulaO...t=6&page=1

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
11-17-2014 03:52 PM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Tobacco crud does build up in the machine. It's nearly impossible to remove other than letting the machine air out and removing some of the smell. Some people find the smell eventually goes away. Disgusting as it is, the tobacco smell is probably not harmful.

Disasembly and cleaning is rather difficult in many machines, but is possible, especially if the alternative is throwing it away.

Dust also builds up over time. It can eventually build up enough to affect operation, but it's probably not a big risk to the patient other than when it affects the operation of the machine.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
11-17-2014 04:13 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

(11-17-2014 05:32 AM)DocWils Wrote:  We DO have disinfection machines for the inner workings of every type of machine that passes air through it - large industrial types of things, mostly for surgical units and for units that have been in infected areas or need higher sterile requirements, but he sleep lab informs me that they clean and disinfect the hoses, masks and outlet of the CPAP boxes they have, and the exterior of the boxes and swap out the filters between patients, but any cleaning of the inner assembly is done by Philips themselves on a yearly basis, given the heavy use the machines get. They inform me that the machines really don't need to be cleaned all that often inside the blower assembly and the fans don't pick up that much dust thanks to the filters.

Are you talking ethelyne oxide machines? That's about the only thing I can think of that a CPAP machine might survive. I guess a real "industrial" medical ozone unit might work if you were really careful about it, but ozone might eat the plastic or corrode the metal if you had it concentrated enough to reliably sterilize. Gamma or x-ray would probably fry the memory in the computer.

I wonder if Philips actually does any "sterilization" of the machines or just "inspect, clean, and refurbish." Some of the high dollar ventilator machines have replaceable "airflow path" modules.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
11-17-2014 08:50 PM
remscape808 Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 7.9
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Thanks, Paula.

I will definitely stay tuned to this thread.
11-17-2014 08:55 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 2 6,121 10-12-2016 11:37 AM
Last Post: DariaVader
  Cleaning/disinfecting Aircurve 10 climateline hose? JVinNE 11 4,134 04-05-2015 03:05 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  Does a remstar pro m series have an internal battery dottore 9 2,047 02-15-2015 07:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 3,796 04-06-2014 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Israeli company develops "internal mask" for patients with sleep apnea mdh235 25 7,522 12-06-2013 11:31 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  reset recorded internal data ggarcia 5 1,609 12-04-2013 03:13 PM
Last Post: zonk
  Internal Memory/SD Card Question SabrinaFaire 25 8,957 11-04-2013 12:56 PM
Last Post: SabrinaFaire