Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Machine makes groaning noise on inhale
Just got a cpap a few days ago and having a terrible time with it - got a Philips dreamstation and trying the dreamwear nasal mask. Can't sleep on side without it leaking, so generally lay on back trying to keep my mouth closed and give up after a couple of hours. One thing that is super annoying is the machine which is supposedly new makes a groaning noise on every inhale. Its hard to get to sleep listening to this mechanical "snoring". I've adjusted flex up and down and it doesn't help. Should a machine make a groaning noise - sounds like pitch of fan noise changes substantially between inhale and exhale. It's mostly silent on exhale.
Post Reply Post Reply
The only way the machine would make noise is either a loose connection at the humidifier, or a defective machine. It happens once in a while. Check the humidifier connections including the water chamber. If you still have the noise, call your supplier. The machine is under warranty.
Post Reply Post Reply
Check the seals in your humidifier to make sure they are clean, in good condition and properly installed.
Post Reply Post Reply

How sensitive is your hearing? When you inhale the blower has to spin faster to produce an increased volume to maintain the constant pressure. When you exhale it spins slower. If I concentrate, I can hear the change. I would not describe it as a groan, it is very faint. Some people seem very sensitive to noises like this, I am not. So if it is not that, then your machine is defective. That does happen, I've had one with a bad blower. It should be quieter than an fan on in the room, as a basis for comparison.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi wideawake34,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

If the noise is loud enough to disturb your sleep, have your DME exchange your machine for a new one, since you haven't had it very long, it is under warranty.
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes I can hear my fans spin up and down.

I change the filter and in many cases, the sounds stop.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 49 21,411 10-18-2017, 09:21 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  DreamStation Go and ResMed AirMini (Excessive Noise) Group 7 Racer 3 245 10-13-2017, 12:09 AM
Last Post: David Govan
Angry [CPAP] Strange mask noise Sleep1ngb3auty16 3 202 09-21-2017, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Noise level of Respironics Dreamstation vs Resmed Airsense 10 scottlink96 60 12,588 09-05-2017, 05:33 PM
Last Post: KackyW
  S9 Noise snorer131 5 1,823 09-01-2017, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Rbullock
  Machine noise, purchasing extra cpap Daisylouu 1 225 08-24-2017, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Knocking Noise offshorecca 5 248 08-18-2017, 04:01 PM
Last Post: offshorecca