Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Machines Offered by DME - anyone have experience with these?
RE: Machines Offered by DME - anyone have experience with these?
(12-30-2013, 06:11 PM)Airstream Wrote:
(12-30-2013, 04:48 PM)Surly Wrote: I have used both the Resmed S9 Autoset and Philips Respironics Remstar Auto 560. Both are top notch APAP devices and most needing APAP would do well with either.
Surly, having used both, is the Respironics as as quiet as the S9? That's an important factor for many people.

I've also used both. The blower units of both are extremely quiet. Most of the noise people complain about with these two machines are actually caused by the mask's exhaust flow, mask leaks, mouth leaks, rainout gurgles in the hose, or the amplified noise of one's breathing being conducted from the hose through the bedcovers or pillows and directly into the inner ear through the bony skull behind the ears.

That said: The pitch of the Resmed S9 is a higher pitch than that of the PR System One. If you have a slight hearing loss in the range of one of these machines, that's the one that will sound quieter.

It's also important to note that a few (but not most) S9 users report hearing a whistle noise during the EPR cycle.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2013, 06:11 PM)Airstream Wrote: Surly, having used both, is the Respironics as as quiet as the S9? That's an important factor for many people.

I would say that the 560 seems marginally louder than the S9. Not too much in it though.
Post Reply Post Reply
There have been mixed reports about the noise level of PRS1 machines versus ResMed machines. Some have reported that some of the the ResMeds are louder than others, even of the same exact model number.

Both machines are very quiet. After a few weeks the noise will fade away into the background and you won't hear it anymore. Meanwhile you can make some white noise to mask it. We use an air filter to accomplish this task, but if I'm alone and take a nap I find i don't need it anymore.

The thing I don't like about the ResMed machines is that they store only one week of detailed data, so if you don't download it to a computer weekly you'll lose it forever. There really is no reason for this. My PRS1 machine is over two years old and the SD card has 92% free space.

The thing I don't like about the PRS1 machines is they don't give you as much detailed data on the machine's display screen. You have to download it to see most of it.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy either machine as they're both good. The far more important consideration is making sure you get a fully data-capable machine.

And the ResMed machines are a bit more expensive. The slightly older PRS1 50 Series machines are a bargain.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2013, 07:08 PM)robysue Wrote: It's also important to note that a few (but not most) S9 users report hearing a whistle noise during the EPR cycle.
Mine noisy somewhat all the times and don,t use EPR
I believe the problem is due to a faulty design, Resmed knows about the problem and more likely would be fixed with the next release of S10

This might gives an insight when the next release is due ... S9 II or S10?
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-S9-II-or-S10

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2013, 08:07 PM)Sleepster Wrote: And the ResMed machines are a bit more expensive. The slightly older PRS1 50 Series machines are a bargain.
+1
But if your insurance paying than cost might not be an important factor. Do your sums, whats your gap payment or rents if on 13 months rental plan. If no insurance than costs is major factor
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you robysue, Surly and Sleepster. The PRS1 machines do seem like a viable alternative to the S9 Autoset based on your information.
The original poster, Apena_GM, certainly should take note of this and take a closer look to compare features and price, if that is a factor. Personally, I was surprised that Respirioncs made a machine comparably quiet as the S9.
We I first started therapy, I was on a Respironics Bi-pap, and it was not quiet. I don't know what model it was and didn't know that there were different types of machines at that time. In all fairness though, they had me over 20 cm and I am sure that was a factor.
Anyway, great info! You guys are a wealth of information!
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2013, 08:15 PM)zonk Wrote:
(12-30-2013, 07:08 PM)robysue Wrote: It's also important to note that a few (but not most) S9 users report hearing a whistle noise during the EPR cycle.
Mine noisy somewhat all the times and don,t use EPR
I believe the problem is due to a faulty design, Resmed knows about the problem and more likely would be fixed with the next release of S10

This might gives an insight when the next release is due ... S9 II or S10?
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-S9-II-or-S10
Same thing with mine Zonk (whistle), but it is very minor.
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Today finally i got my PR 561. DME tried to give the bottom shelf cpac as insurance covers only for that.Decided to pay half out of the pocket but this machine is really good and it will work better then "brick''.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2013, 02:47 AM)LETMESLEEP Wrote: Today finally i got my PR 561. DME tried to give the bottom shelf cpac as insurance covers only for that.Decided to pay half out of the pocket but this machine is really good and it will work better then "brick''.

Glad to read you got what you wanted.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2013, 02:47 AM)LETMESLEEP Wrote: Today finally i got my PR 561. DME tried to give the bottom shelf cpac as insurance covers only for that.Decided to pay half out of the pocket but this machine is really good and it will work better then "brick''.

Are you sure that your insurance only covers the bottom of the line CPAP or is that what the DME told you? Anyway, glad you don't have the brick so you can monitor your results.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 415 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  My Resent Experience: Momsworry 3 102 03-23-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  csa machines cexer 1 73 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 672 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Central vs. OA Events: Switching Machines or Tweaking Current CPAP Settings? fjones416 4 498 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 595 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  Any experience with paradoxical breathing? pezhead99 3 543 11-12-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: pezhead99

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.