Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Mask Airfit vs Nuance Pro
Mask Airfit vs Nuance Pro
After 4 months of CPAP, ICON machine (hire), now Respironics System One, my Nuance Pro mask is getting annoying with the noise from the vent. (Pressure 8-10).

I bumped into an ex collegue yesterday and he told me he has moved from the nasal mask to a Wisp from Resmed (being 75 I know he gets confused) as Resmed dont make that but he does go the Resmed shop and so I presume he means the Airfit as that is what he described it to me.

Does anyone have experience with Airfit vs Nuance Pro and in particular reference to the noise level?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Airfit vs Nuance Pro
Which Airfit? Do you mean the P10 nasal pillows?

The P10 is very quiet, which is the only good thing going for it, in my opinion. Several of us have used both the Nuance and the P10.

The main problem with the P10 is its headgear. It is a simple, single strap that is split part way up. This split is what holds it to your head. Allegedly. If your head is of the size it is designed to fit, you will love it. If it is not, you will either have to modify the headgear (cut the strap and add material to make it larger or take up material to make it smaller).

I don't find the Nuance to be that noisy. If the sound is getting worse, could be several things. Is the mask put together correctly? I've been known to put it together upside down. Is there moisture/condensation on the inside? That will make the vents noisy. Is it a leak or the vent that is making the noise? What is your leak rate? Has it been climbing?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
As Paula says, a properly sized and fitted Nuance is pretty dang quiet. When mine makes noise, I grab it, pullit outwards, and allow it to re-seat itself. If this doesn't work, a bit of lanolin on the bottom of my nose will do the trick. No reason a Nuance should be noisy! When was the last time you replaced the cushion? 15 nights is about the max for me.

Having said that, I had my first ever under .2 AHI the other night with my WISP.

Key is finding what works FOR YOU.

Best of luck!
Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
My suggestion is either to stay in a nasal pillow style of mask the is close to the fit of your Nuance such as the Airfit P10, Swift FX, Pillairo. If the mask sound is causing problems it could be a leak and you may need a slightly different style. For patients that are using the nasal pillow and want to transition away I have been suggesting the nasal hybrid, DreamWear from Respironics.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the noise from the air vent is an issue, then the Airfit P10 is the best mask out there. It has a different exhaust system (a fine mesh diffuser vs. the regular holes in other masks). If the mask is sealed properly then you yourself don't even hear the exhaust. And once you get used to your set pressure, you will start doubting that the machine is on. That's how quiet this mask is.

And I believe that the simple headgear is a very clever design and works very well once you get a hang of separating the 2 straps to seat it properly on your head.

And ultimately, everyone finally comes to the P10. Because 'resistance is futile!'. Smile
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, the P10 is extremely quiet. Freakily quiet. And the vent is so soft, it makes no noise when it hits the sheets. You can cuddle your partner again!

But it was the only mask to leave an actual wound on me due to the stupid headgear. I will tolerate all sorts of things in a mask but not that. Put that mask on a better headgear and I will be shoving everyone out of the way to get one. But the headgear is Neanderthal in design. A major step backward.

And I am not so sure the Dreamwear isn't a step back as well.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

I don't find the Nuance to be that noisy. If the sound is getting worse, could be several things. Is the mask put together correctly? I've been known to put it together upside down. Is there moisture/condensation on the inside? That will make the vents noisy. Is it a leak or the vent that is making the noise? What is your leak rate? Has it been climbing?
[/quote]

Dear PaulaO2 - definitely the vent. A leak is a different sound (more like a whistle). I cover the vent and I hear nothing. I also have managed to get the nasal pillows upside down (after one or two beers) - but could not sleep with that as the sound was horrendous and insufficient air. My leak rate always about 20 on sleepyhead. Is that sort of normal?

Friday night I slept with CPAP for a change. Snoring was back but no hypopneas (whilst my wife was awake anyway).
Post Reply Post Reply
It's within range so it is fine.

It could be you have a mask with bad vent holes. It happens sometimes with all masks. Or you have really good hearing. Is this the only Nuance you have had?
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
I switched to my Nuance last night in the middle of the night because my WISP was bugging me. Had no problems with noise level or leaks, but I did use a little of the CPAP Emu cream to help the seal. Ended up with a 0.7 AHI for the night.

I've never gotten under 3.0 with a P10. - the mask simply is ill fitting for me, and again, Paula has nailed it - the headgear is TOO simple.

I'll run with the Nuance for about 3 nights now, then revert to the WISP. It is nice to have 2 masks that I like and that work for me, just for the variety and the occasions where one or the other just is not working, on a particular night.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2016, 06:40 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: It's within range so it is fine.

It could be you have a mask with bad vent holes. It happens sometimes with all masks. Or you have really good hearing. Is this the only Nuance you have had?

Only mask I have had. Selected by Sleep Clinic (due to beard!). Wife can also hear the "vent" but better than my snoring apparently.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 49 3,137 1 hour ago
Last Post: yankees123
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,569 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,976 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 985 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  ResMed Airfit P10 ScottW 41 20,129 02-12-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: TexasDon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.