Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Mask Choices
Mask Choices
Hi all, I am a new CPAP user as of a couple of weeks ago. Currently I am trying out mask number three. A Fisher&Paykel Zest nasal mask...size petite XS. So far the leakage has been mild but I am having to use gel pads for the bridge of my nose. Wondering if anybody else out there has a pressure rate of 18? I'm thinking that is where most of my trouble lies...that and the fact that I apparently have a tiny face Rolleyes . Thanks for any help...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Choices
Hi KatNapZzz,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Don't be shy about trying different masks 'til, you find the one that works for you; some people have to try many of them.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck with your CPAP therapy and finding the right mask.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2014, 09:52 AM)KatNapZzz Wrote: Hi all, I am a new CPAP user as of a couple of weeks ago. Currently I am trying out mask number three. A Fisher&Paykel Zest nasal mask...size petite XS. So far the leakage has been mild but I am having to use gel pads for the bridge of my nose. Wondering if anybody else out there has a pressure rate of 18? I'm thinking that is where most of my trouble lies...that and the fact that I apparently have a tiny face Rolleyes . Thanks for any help...

If the leaks are mild, the mask is handling the pressure fine. As to whether or not the pressure is too high, that's more of a function of what is needed to control your apnea events. So monitor your results and discuss this with your sleep docs.

As far as changing masks are concerned: I'm a big believer in giving your mask a little time. It takes awhile to establish a relationship with a little give and take sometimes needed. In the end, if you find you are just not compatible, then yes, move on. But I'm not one to just pick up any old mask that comes down the street.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2014, 09:52 AM)KatNapZzz Wrote: Hi all, I am a new CPAP user as of a couple of weeks ago. Currently I am trying out mask number three. A Fisher&Paykel Zest nasal mask...size petite XS. So far the leakage has been mild but I am having to use gel pads for the bridge of my nose. Wondering if anybody else out there has a pressure rate of 18? I'm thinking that is where most of my trouble lies...that and the fact that I apparently have a tiny face Rolleyes . Thanks for any help...

I have used the large Zest nasal mask and my pressure was 20. I had no trouble with the mask leaking but could not keep my mouth from leaking even with a chin strap. I did not have any problem with the bridge of my nose but from what I have seen and read it might be better if you used a larger mask that hits your nose higher (more up toward your eyes). I think that the mask size may be more a function of the size of ones nose and the smaller the mask the easier it should be to get a good seal at a given pressure since there is less force trying to push the mask away from your face.

Best regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2014, 11:53 AM)PaytonA Wrote: I did not have any problem with the bridge of my nose but from what I have seen and read it might be better if you used a larger mask that hits your nose higher (more up toward your eyes). I think that the mask size may be more a function of the size of ones nose and the smaller the mask the easier it should be to get a good seal at a given pressure since there is less force trying to push the mask away from your face.

People with high bridges (bump at the top of their nose), seem to have this challenge...

(1) Get a large mask to accommodate one's higher bridge.
- vs.-
(2) Get a more-appropriate smaller mask to get a better seal.

Is their any full-face mask that can accommodate nose bridges through design or adjustment?

Somewhat related is the problem of us mouth-breathers. I never hear of full-face mask users using chin straps. Mouth-breathers often can assigned a full-face mask to solve the problem but that can lead to mouth dryness (and maybe stomach air).

Are their any masks that specifically address mouth-breathers?

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2014, 09:52 AM)KatNapZzz Wrote: So far the leakage has been mild but I am having to use gel pads for the bridge of my nose.
Whats the leak reported on the machine sleep report and Resscan (median, 95th percentile, maximum)
Do you get happy smiley face or red sad face in the morning

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2014, 10:36 AM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi KatNapZzz,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Don't be shy about trying different masks 'til, you find the one that works for you; some people have to try many of them.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck with your CPAP therapy and finding the right mask.

Thanks for the welcome!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2014, 01:42 PM)zonk Wrote:
(03-17-2014, 09:52 AM)KatNapZzz Wrote: So far the leakage has been mild but I am having to use gel pads for the bridge of my nose.
Whats the leak reported on the machine sleep report and Resscan (median, 95th percentile, maximum)
Do you get happy smiley face or red sad face in the morning

Honestly, never get the chance to notice any face in the morning. I just reach over, push the off button, and unmask! My 95th percentile was something like 38.4, I think max was like 164 or something in that range. I'll take notice tomorrow morning. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2014, 11:53 AM)PaytonA Wrote:

I have used the large Zest nasal mask and my pressure was 20. I had no trouble with the mask leaking but could not keep my mouth from leaking even with a chin strap. I did not have any problem with the bridge of my nose but from what I have seen and read it might be better if you used a larger mask that hits your nose higher (more up toward your eyes). I think that the mask size may be more a function of the size of ones nose and the smaller the mask the easier it should be to get a good seal at a given pressure since there is less force trying to push the mask away from your face.

Best regards,

PaytonA

Hi Payton,
I did try a small nasal mask from a different company but although it did reach higher on the bridge of my nose the bottom ends up sitting on top of my upper lip. And yup, I do have to use a dang chin strap. I think I miss the days of just jumping into bedBigwink and going to sleep!
Post Reply Post Reply
your leaks are not mild imho. They should be no more than 24L. FYI.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,139 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,207 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,748 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [split] CPAP Machine Choices - Jerry Sends Buying CPAP Out Of Network Jerry Sends 11 1,682 03-01-2022, 01:35 AM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  [Equipment] High RDI low AHI. Overwhelmed with machine choices, OSCAR data, etc.. ldinks 8 2,655 12-02-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Equipment] Oxygen Concentrator Choices mgwmgw 1 910 10-03-2020, 04:54 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.