Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Mask Concern
Question 
Mask Concern
I'm new to using this CPAP equipment since I've only been using for a month or do. I've got an ReSMED Airsense 10 . When it come to the mask it is a full face and is an Airfit 10.

My problem has to do with the mask fit. When you look at the panel or sleep report page that says how many hours you've been using, events per hour, mask seal and humidifier it has smiley faces for everything accept mask seal.

I took off my mask and readjusted it at least  3 times and it was still giving me the unhappy face. So I then the run mask fit feature at least 4 times over a 15 to 20 minutes time period. Which means that the time between when I first did the mask fit and the 4th time was at least 15  to 20 minutes. However when I did the mask fit option that runs a mask fit test I got a smiley face each time.

How can the run mask fit test be fine but the sleep Report that says mask fit  be bad ?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Concern
Hi Chitownbooklover! - Welcome
Here is a link to a very well written article on Mask Primers by one of our members.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

I hope it may point you to something that you've might have overlooked.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're not laying down during the mask fit, it is not the same conditions as when you sleep laying down and your face relaxes. One of our members did a good article on masks and fitting, that is the 4th link in my signature. You should read it.

Did you ever try a nasal pillow mask? They are so much easier to get a leak-free fit. As long as you can use nasal therapy (minimal leaks from mouth), it is much more comfortable and effective. At this point, if you obtained equipment from a DME supplier, there may be a mask fit guarantee during the first 30 days. You should inquire whether you can try different models and sizes or even types of masks to get something that works better. I think you've given the Airfit F10 an adequate trial, and it's time to try something else.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was sitting up for both things for the mask fit test and when I did the my sleep report option. I think it has to do with the internet connection. I will try and explain why I think so using another example. 

As you know ReSMED has the myair feature that gives you a score based on several factors. But one of the problems is that data that comes from the machine has been very slow when it comes to uploading it to the myair thing. One day it took several hours for the data to upload so therefore I was unable to obtain my score until several hours later. When I was  finally able to get my sleep score it gave me my score for the previous night and the current night as well.

But for the current night it gave me a low sleep score and said I'd been using the machine for only 30 minutes.That was incorrect because  I had been using the machine for at least 3 or 4 hours. Secondly it said that it had last synced around 11:00 pm but it was at least 3 or 4 hours later.  

Could it be that it's 3 or 4 hours behind or the slow internet connection that's giving me the poor mask fit message ?
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the AirFit P10 nasal pillow mask even though I am a mouth breather. Even with the wide lady's headband over my lips under the Ruby chin strap I use to control leaks, it is much more comfortable and effective than the FFMs I have tried. I still have some leaks, but they are well within acceptable levels.

The AirFit F20 may be another viable option for you. A lot of users who couldn't get the F10 to work for them are reporting very good results with the P20.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-30-2017, 08:39 AM)Chitownbooklover Wrote: I was sitting up for both things for the mask fit test and when I did the my sleep report option. I think it has to do with the internet connection. I will try and explain why I think so using another example. 

As you know ReSMED has the myair feature that gives you a score based on several factors. But one of the problems is that data that comes from the machine has been very slow when it comes to uploading it to the myair thing. One day it took several hours for the data to upload so therefore I was unable to obtain my score until several hours later. When I was  finally able to get my sleep score it gave me my score for the previous night and the current night as well.

But for the current night it gave me a low sleep score and said I'd been using the machine for only 30 minutes.That was incorrect because  I had been using the machine for at least 3 or 4 hours. Secondly it said that it had last synced around 11:00 pm but it was at least 3 or 4 hours later.  

Could it be that it's 3 or 4 hours behind or the slow internet connection that's giving me the poor mask fit message ?

Your machine communicates with ResMed over the cell phone system, not the internet. Obviously problems with the cell phone connection could slow  or delay data transmission.  I have used MyAir some and have noted there is always a delay of an hour or more between the time I turn off my machine and when I can see my score in MyAir. I don't think it's due to connection quality or speed since the cell phone signal at my home is excellent.

As for the hours of use, it may depend on the time of day. For example, I occasionally don't go to bed until early in the morning and sleep past noon. In such cases my SleepyHead software shows the data after noon as a separate set. MyAir probably has a similar cutoff point.

I suggest you download SleepyHeaad.  https://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./

It will provide much better information and allow you to post your data in the forum as described in the links below.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Chitownbooklover,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy and finding a mask that works well for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Periodic Breathing – is this cause for concern? cyrial 2 614 06-16-2023, 06:40 PM
Last Post: David Clark
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration showing up on OSCAR. Concern? IAmBleedingOut 4 1,071 04-11-2023, 07:52 AM
Last Post: IAmBleedingOut
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  CSR, right? How much is a concern? Chinkapin 2 527 02-24-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  A serious concern Wilsonf 4 604 12-18-2022, 11:39 AM
Last Post: YipeekiOH
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,208 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,750 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.