Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Mask Cushion (?) Sizes/Shapes
Mask Cushion (?) Sizes/Shapes
I have 2 nasal masks (see profile). The Mirage came with my CPAP and I then got the AirFit because I thought the magnetic strap attachments might be more comfortable. Leaks with both masks have always been in the acceptable range, but after 3 nights of increasing leaks with the AirFit (10, 13 and 16L/min), I went back to the Mirage and the results were much better (1 and 4 L/min). Although I realize that various factors could account for this, I notice that shapes of the mask cushions (?) differ—the Mirage is more slender (and it certainly feels more snug).

It certainly stands to reason that there would be different sizes/shapes of nasal cushions, but is there a way to determine the size/shape of the one I prefer? Could I get one of that size/shape that would fit the AirFit? It doesn’t look like I could just switch them.

I’ve gotten a great deal of help and information from this site, and I’ve just made a donation!
John[/size]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Cushion (?) Sizes/Shapes
Not exactly sure what you are asking. If you are asking if your face needs, say, a size 9 mask size and then you can wear a size 9 mask from any maker and it fit the same, the answer is no. Each mask is different even within the same type.

But it could be you could go a size down in the Airfit to get that snugness you like in the Mirage.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-12-2015, 04:45 PM)Ross Wrote: I have 2 nasal masks (see profile). The Mirage came with my CPAP and I then got the AirFit because I thought the magnetic strap attachments might be more comfortable. Leaks with both masks have always been in the acceptable range, but after 3 nights of increasing leaks with the AirFit (10, 13 and 16L/min), I went back to the Mirage and the results were much better (1 and 4 L/min). Although I realize that various factors could account for this, I notice that shapes of the mask cushions (?) differ—the Mirage is more slender (and it certainly feels more snug).

It certainly stands to reason that there would be different sizes/shapes of nasal cushions, but is there a way to determine the size/shape of the one I prefer? Could I get one of that size/shape that would fit the AirFit? It doesn’t look like I could just switch them.

I’ve gotten a great deal of help and information from this site, and I’ve just made a donation!
John[/size]

When I see an increase in leaks, I've found that washing the mask will eliminate the problem. The worst thing that can happen is this trick won't work for you.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got an e-mail from ResMed today on "finding the right mask fit" that addressed my (apparently puzzling) question.Smile It included templates for determining proper "cushion" size. Clearly, the one I prefer is standard and the other is wide. Since switching to the standard I have minimal leaks. I assume other manufacturers have their own guides, I wonder why no sizing was done by the DME.

FWIW here's an excerpt:
Q. Where can I find mask fitting guidelines?

A. ResMed is happy to offer fitting templates for many of our masks. Click your mask below to open a PDF file of the fitting template.

Please note the following when using these templates:

Read the directions on the template carefully before cutting and using them.
The fitting template for the Ultra Mirage™ full face mask is three-dimensional and not available online. Please contact ResMed Customer Service (800-424-0737) to request a fitting template.
Mask fitting templates should be used to aid in the fitting of masks. The use of these templates is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional, sleep technician or equipment supplier.
Altering the size or dimensions of the original PDFs in any way may compromise the quality and accuracy of these template printouts. To avoid this problem, ensure you are printing at the actual size by turning off all page scaling in your printer settings. You may also refer to the ruler within the printout to ensure the printout is the accurate size.
ResMed nasal mask fitting templates:

AirFit N10/Swift FX Nano (90kb)
Mirage Activa/Ultra Mirage II (45kb)
Mirage FX (988kb)
Mirage Micro/Mirage Activa LT (41kb)
Mirage Vista (139kb)
ResMed full face mask fitting templates:

AirFit F10/Quattro Air (60kb)
Mirage Liberty (100kb)
Mirage Quattro (170kb)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 502 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Switch to memory foam cushion? Toddsims 4 516 12-28-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Very intermittent nasal cushion collapse BillfromMissouri2 4 384 12-10-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  F20 Touch (foam) cushion --Longer Use and Larger Leaks snorin2 18 1,986 09-26-2023, 03:09 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
  heated cpap tube sizes please! Always Confused 2 625 08-22-2023, 11:02 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
Surprised ResMed AirFit N30 Nasal Cushion & P10 pillows WW4B 1 730 08-15-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: cdplatt

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.