Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Mask Events suddenly showing up
Mask Events suddenly showing up
I have a Respironics S9 with humidifier that I've been using without problems for about 4 years. About a month ago the hours used for the last 24 hours that show up on pressing the Info button were only about half the clock hours that I had the mask on. This is now every night, not a rare event. I've rebooted the machine, replaced the SIM card - no change. This is new. The usage hours used to match how long I had the mask on for the last four years.

The only other change I can see from when this started happening is that on the bar charts from the ResMed software, I now have "mask events" that add up to the missing time. They show up as black bands in the usage bars. The leak statistics haven't changed from what they used to be.

Does anyone know what "mask events" are or can give me some other idea of why my usage time is about half the actual time?

I should add that I'm in DME Hell. The company that sold me the machine went bankrupt and the new supplies provider (American Home Patient) won't service a machine they didn't sell. So I'm kind of on my own. I'm a Medicare patient with a year to go before the 5-year replacement.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Events suddenly showing up
A "mask event" in ResScan is the time from when the machine is turned ON to when it is turned off WHILE the machine is detecting breathing. Mask events have nothing to do with leaks, and they should not subtract from the overall machine hours or therapy hours unless breathing is not detected.

Download #Sleepyhead and we might be able to get a better picture of what is going on. Links in my signature show how to organize and post the data. We need to be able to see the flow waveform and events in order to understand why your machine is perhaps not detecting breathing during the mask event periods. This will also verify if your machine is working correctly.

With regard to your machine, Medicare will ordinarily replace a machine every 5-years unless it is out of warranty and cannot be repaired. Your new DME should be working harder to earn your future business. Personally I would look for service elsewhere. No DME actually services a machine except for simple adjustments; they send it to an authorized repair facility, or coordinate warranty repairs with the manufacturer. Once your machine is out of the warranty period, they should work to troubleshoot a problem, and determine if there is coverage for a replacement.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I forgot to add, it would help to know your S9 machine model. It is likely an Autoset, Elite or CPAP. It makes a difference as to what data is available.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi gillw,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more answers to your question.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 347 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 1,788 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,397 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 265 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 117 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 176 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 268 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.