Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Mask TOO heavy! Help!
RE: Mask TOO heavy! Help!
Glad it worked. Please let us know how you do.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure why health care professionals recommend full face masks right off the bat... if I were an RT, I'd only recommend a FFM if all other types of masks have proven useless. FFMs are leaky, bulky, uncomfortable, more expensive and usually end up raising your AHI.

Glad you switched to a nasal mask, Jane.

Sleep-well
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2012, 10:11 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: if I were an RT,
than you would be Jack of all trades Dielaughing
Apology-2

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2012, 10:24 PM)zonk Wrote:
(12-28-2012, 10:11 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: if I were an RT,
than you would be Jack of all trades Dielaughing
Apology-2

... and Master of none... Whistle
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2012, 12:41 PM)JaneOnymous Wrote: I'm using the Amara mask as I'm a mouth breather and all is well when I fall asleep, but after a couple of hours I wake up and feel like I have a 10 ton weight on my face. It feels so freaking heavy that I can't stand it and have to pull the mask off to feel like I'm breathing freely.
I get little leaks around my eyes, too. The mask I have is the petite as I have really small features, but if I make it too tight, it causes a headache and it's tearing up my nose (wearing a bandaid at night seems to be helping with that, though.

Hi JaneOnymous, welcome to Apnea Board!

Glad the nasal mask is working much better for you.

Concerning the Full-Face Mask, perhaps the leaks around the eyes were forcing you to tighten the straps too tight, so that after a few hours the mask felt terribly heavy.

If you still have the FFM it may be useful to use again if your nose ever gets totally clogged up. To make the FFM stop leaking around the eyes, I recommend the Gecko soft gel "nasal pad" nose protector.

It protects the nose from getting cut up by the mask, it seals leaks around the eyes, and makes for a leak-free mask without overly-tightened straps.

http://www.resmed.com/us/products/gecko_...c=patients

I think Respironics makes something similar, too, but I haven't tried it yet.

Walgreens drug stores sell the "Nasal Soft CPAP Cushion" by Sleep Care Technologies which is similar and probably more economical, but I haven't tried that yet, either.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too was a mouth breather.....

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-CPAP-Anon :grin:

Keep at it.

Cheers

David
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,208 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,750 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Heavy rainout with Climateline blancobonzo 8 1,063 10-17-2021, 10:32 PM
Last Post: StevesSp
  [CPAP] AĞIR UYKU APNESİ [Heavy Sleep Apnea] yunturk 19 3,937 11-21-2019, 05:29 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,423 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.