Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Mask adaptation or oxygen bleed in causing readout errors?
RE: Mask adaptation or oxygen bleed in causing readout errors?
With auto mode ASV you can have 4lt min, manual mode asv can use higher flows.

I think you need another mask. Although it is comfortable, it's not reliable enough. You shouldn't have to plug your nose to stop air escaping because it doesn't seal against the nose. Personally, I wouldn't have any of the masks that push up under your nose. I would go back to a FFM that seals over the bridge of your nose. I know it's a pain, to watch TV, read or even look at the time.

It will control CS breathing patterns, It just needs a good seal to do it.
I hope your heart is OK and you have been checked with an echogram for left ventricular flow. If there are issues, you need another machine. With CHF, CS breathing is protective.

I think your machine pressures are set up fine for now. From 3:30 on is working fine. I think all the H at the beginning of the night could be mask leak and the machine ramping up pressure to try and fix the H, but can't because of poor sealing.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Oh thanks for getting back to me, Ajack. I feel pretty good about where I am now with the leaks. Check out last night's chart and notice how the pressure levels came down! AHI  is super!

Just to clarify, the nose plug is for my comfort rather than to seal the mask. I have a deviated septum, allergies, "boggy, red" tissues. Nasal flow just dries the tissue out, makes it bleed and causes infections. The Amara view is by far the most comfortable mask I have every tried and it is sealing pretty well now. Every full face mask that covers the bridge of the nose has leaked and broke down my skin, so I am really happy to get this mask sealed. Last echo was within a year and no problems. 

I agree all the earlier hypopneas  at the beginning of the night of the 8th could have been from mask leak and the machine ramping up pressure to try and fix the H, which it could not do because of poor sealing. I looked closely at some of breaths and the machine responses and am quite impressed at how it behaved even with the leak. I'm crossing my fingers for continued success.

Thanks again for giving your time to the board and to me. I will start a new thread soon for help with reading the graphs better.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
That's a lot better than the first chart your put up. You must be pleased. Seeing that you breathe through your mouth. You could tape the outlet of the mask, where it buts up against the nose, that may also help with the leaks. You then only need to have it seal around your mouth area. The plugs would stop air blowing out of your nose by the ASV. Masks are very individual and I'm glad you have one you like. I went through a lot before I found one.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, very pleased. Last night was amazing!
I did try to put tape across the open nose hole on the mask but couldn't find any that would stick. Also, the mask is designed to have a dip that your  nose fits into (over the mask) and the material is so flexible it seals against the bottom of your nose with the air pressure. After trying tape, I realized whatever I put there to block air flow would have to be flexible enough to accept the contours of my nose, otherwise it would not allow the mask to sit at the right level across my mouth to get a good seal. A picture would be worth a thousand words here, but safe to say it wouldn't work. I think lots of people have gone through lots of masks. Getting the right mask was the worst part of my whole journey, which is why I was so reluctant to give this one up.

Thanks again for your support Ajack!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 674 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 262 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 423 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 918 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 356 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,765 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Sleep study review / O2 ring - Oxygen Desaturation SingleH 5 525 01-07-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: SingleH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.