Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Mask elbow leak
Mask elbow leak
Hi,
    I know I have seen this before on here, but I can't find it now. So I am going to just ask.  I am using a F-10 full face mask. I just noticed it last night that the swivel elbow is leaking some, so I played with it some but still leaks. Is this common. Is there a fix or just get a new one. I thought I have read on here that some people have trouble getting good ones. I know Amazon has them and I see cpap stores have them. But just wanted to see what others have done. Sinse it's a weekend and a holiday weekend probably won't be able to get one to fast. I can't sleep with the leaking mask. I can do without for awhile so I guess my insurance company will have to understand.

Thanks for the help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask elbow leak
I use an F-20 mask and the elbow connection is the exhaust vent.  Air you feel coming out is the exhale.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same problem.
It is a continuous vent, wakes me up.
Only fix I found was hold my thumb over the end of the tube and power on the machine.
It seems to make the little flapper valves start working again.
Post Reply Post Reply
The flapper valve is intended to prevent CO2 from entering and filling the hose if your CPAP is not under pressure (i.e.: the CPAP is off).

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2022, 04:43 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: I use an F-20 mask and the elbow connection is the exhaust vent.  Air you feel coming out is the exhale.

Ok thanks, it just seemed louder than normal.
Post Reply Post Reply
The quiet air elbow (???) has two functions. The first is to vent your CO2 through the diffuser (under that plastic ring). The second is the "Anti asphyxiation" valve (or the two little flapper valves) that open if your machine happens to turn off during the night.
You can usually hear them flap shut when you first turn the machine on and the air starts to flow.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2022, 05:20 PM)Sleepless in Dewberry Wrote: I have the same problem.
It is a continuous vent, wakes me up.
Only fix I found was hold my thumb over the end of the tube and power on the machine.
It seems to make the little flapper valves start working again.

Hi, I did see the flapper valves and played around with them some, it just seemed louder than normal. like more air was coming out than when I first started using cpap. Maybe I moved them around and changed them somehow when I washed out the tube with hot water. Maybe I need to not keep the elbow on when I wash it.  

thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2022, 05:33 PM)Jeff8356 Wrote: The quiet air elbow (???) has two functions.  The first is to vent your CO2 through the diffuser (under that plastic ring).  The second is the "Anti asphyxiation" valve (or the two little flapper valves) that open if your machine happens to turn off during the night.
You can usually hear them flap shut when you first turn the machine on and the air starts to flow.

Hi, I washed the hose earlier in the day by running hot water thru it, maybe I did something to the valves. I looked at the valves and they look ok, they don't have a really tight seal. I should take the elbow off next time. I will see how it is tonight. I did the mask check for leaks and it seems better. 

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
If you wash the elbow it is not uncommon for the tiny pinhole vents under diffuser ring to not dry out completely before your next use. It will make a lot of hissing noise for a short while as the remaining water blows out those holes. Not sure if that is what you are hearing.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2022, 08:49 PM)RayBee Wrote: If you wash the elbow it is not uncommon for the tiny pinhole vents under diffuser ring to not dry out completely before your next use. It will make a lot of hissing noise for a short while as the remaining water blows out those holes. Not sure if that is what you are hearing.

Hi, I think that's what it was. I used it last night and no problem plus I played around with the flappers. One might have been stuck open or out of adjustment do to washing. I will take off the elbow next wash.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 231 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 139 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 147 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 132 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 665 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982
Sad [Treatment] UARS with Aerophagia and a High Leak Rate, what next? Adam0410 9 406 02-14-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.