Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Mask fit - Does symmetry matter.
Mask fit - Does symmetry matter.
I am new to the FFM F30 and getting things adjusted. I am very close but still have some minor adjustments to make. After each adjustment, I would check for symmetry and found one strap might be longer than the other. As a result, the mask might leak more on that side. I am sure I want to get the mask square on my face. I also realize that people are not made perfectly symmetrical. I am thinking they are close enough to adjust the mask the same on both sides. 

Does anyone else consider the symmetry of the straps in the adjustment process?
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask fit - Does symmetry matter.
I note it and consider it a flag if the lengths are not close.
Post Reply Post Reply
For the Resmed P30i mask the symmetry is crucial. I find this mask the most comfortable of all the masks I have trialed - all have been nasal pillow masks - but it can be a beast to control the leaks. For good results both arms must be equal to within about 1mm. The good news is that once a sweet spot is found no further fiddling is needed and the fit appears stable over a range of pressure even after prolonged use and frequent washing.
Post Reply Post Reply
On the other hand, it might matter how you sleep - on your back or on your side. I'm a side sleeper (unfortunately), so often after adjusting the straps so there are no leaks, I then turn over on my left side and find that even a slight pressure from the pillow pushing against my mask can cause it to leak air. So I then tighten (slightly) the left strap to stop the leak.
Sometimes helps, sometimes I need to tighten the other strap as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Forget to say that my mask too is a p30i
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it needs to reasonably close on both sides. I need to start marking my headgear straps. Another aspect is masks like my Vitera and Simplus, these are more forgiving due to a bellows roll that's on the cushion.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, mostly symmetrical but sometimes after adjustments during the night I see they are not symmetrical. Depends on sleep position during the night.

I have long since marked up my straps as a good reference point esp. after the occasional wash. 

Don't know why they don't make 'em that way.

[attachment=28576]
Post Reply Post Reply
I read an article in the wiki that made me strive to adjust how I fit my masks. I'll go find a link:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Mask_Primer

scroll down until you see this:

How to achieve the perfect mask fit - GUARANTEED! by Jeffy1958

Whenever I've noticed straps aren't set with symmetry, I adjust them so that they are symmetrical. Typically I may have adjusted my straps at night because of leakage.

So I need to correct the length so they are symmetrical.

Hope this helps. It helped me.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2020, 09:41 AM)DaveL Wrote: I read an article in the wiki that made me strive to adjust how I fit my masks. I'll go find a link:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Mask_Primer

scroll down until you see this:

How to achieve the perfect mask fit - GUARANTEED! by Jeffy1958

Thanks for this link. Excellent overall Mask_Primer Wiki. Many thanks to Jeffy1958 for his How-to article for optimal adjustment of mask straps.
MacBookPro 13, Big Sur, Windows 10 (Parallels 16), FlashAir 16GB W-04,
Contec CMS50F Pulse Oximeter
Post Reply Post Reply
The F30 is a diva.  Absolute symmetry is indispensable.  Once adjusted it's a comfortable mask, but the way to the right adjustment might be long and winding.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It Just Doesn't Matter cmpman1974 6 660 12-04-2023, 12:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Can't get a good night sleep no matter what. Please help mrsleepyhead2001 1 426 11-24-2023, 01:19 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  would it matter if you ran a cpap (without humidifier) on its side?on its side snorin2 8 654 11-19-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,639 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,318 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,884 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Yup...it's now just a matter of time. Big Guy 23 2,027 12-08-2021, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Superstar

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.