Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

cpap machine records apneas while I am still awake
cpap machine records apneas while I am still awake
I am registering many apneas recently.  I am suffering pain from breast surgery and severe arthritis in my shoulder which makes sleep very irregular.  While I am awake my machine is showing I am having apneas although it is just me tossing and turning because of the pain while trying to get to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: cpap machine records apneas while I am still awake
Ms. B, welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your pain and suffering...

Is it possible you are holding your breath while you are experiencing the pain, or tossing in bed? Your machine may be flagging that as an apnea.

If your machine has an SD card you can download and install OSCAR (see the banner up top). Then import your data from the SD card and post a screenshot or two. There are some very knowledgable users here that may be able to spot something in your charts.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: cpap machine records apneas while I am still awake
Ms B, it would be very helpful is you will download the free OSCAR software which will tell us the number and kinds of events you are having as well as pressure settings and other data. The fact you are experiencing post-surgical pain and arthritis may be significant, especially if you are taking pain relievers. Opioid pain relievers frequents cause an increase in central apnea events which your CPAP will not treat. Central apnea is simply a pause in breathing with no effort to breathe, and this can occur in response to pain, sleep disruption, movement and drugs. We can help you to understand your problem, and suggest how to address it with your doctor if it is related to or a complication of pain relievers.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 603 Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 93 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 312 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 865 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 634 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 203 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 307 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.