[Equipment] Mask issues (F&P Simplus Full Face)
wocko1 Offline

Members

Machine: Philips Respironics Dreamstation Auto CPAP
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel SIMPLUS (Medium)
Humidifier: Dreamstation Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 5-20 cmH2O
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Mask issues (F&P Simplus Full Face)
G'day all

OK I've been having a few issues with my stupid mask leaking near my right eye. I've tried adjusting and still have difficulty trying to plug the leak, and it feels uncomfortable on the right side of my face.

Is there any full face mask that people find better?

Other than that, my CPAP has been good, getting an AHI around 3 or below, except for some days where it was 6.7 twice.
08-01-2016 12:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
chill Online

Advisory Members

Machine: DreamStation X500
Mask Make & Model: Walk-in Mask Closet
Humidifier: DreamStation
CPAP Pressure: 13-16

Other Comments: CPAP True Believer

RE: Mask issues (F&P Simplus Full Face)
No solution but my Simplus tends to blow into my eyes too. I do not enjoy it. Popping it off and back on again help, but the leak seems to come back quickly.
08-01-2016 01:36 AM
Gyddyup Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense 10
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus; Quattro Air
Humidifier: built-in
CPAP Pressure: 12.8 - 17.0

Other Comments:

am in the same boat as you guys. have tried various masks to no avail - i get fewer leaks with the Simplus. I've also tried a gel patch with no success.

changing from a medium to a small was an improvement for me. Last night my machine reported zero leaks, however i woke up several times with air blowing into my right eye - not a lot but annoying all the same.

best solution i've come up with is to tighten the mask then tighten again, not ideal but it's all that works consistently for me.
08-01-2016 06:51 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Some things to try:

Go one size smaller. The good thing about the Simplus is you only need the cushion, not an entire new mask. The one size down might help with the eye leaks.

Wear it as low as you can get it. It is way more comfortable this way, too.

Remzz liners. I have better success with leaks and comfort when I use two at the same time. Take two out of the pile together, vs one at a time then trying to line them up. Won't work that way.

If the leaks are still within a safe range, use gel preservative free eye drops each night. The thicker the better (usually labeled for overnight use). I tried the ointment and it gets everywhere and is a pain to remove.

And last, make sure it is coming from the mask and not your eye. Freaky as heck but it happens. Eye drops help with that, too.

I tried a lot of masks and the Simplus is the only one that works for me.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-01-2016 07:05 PM
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

I have found placing a couple of layers of flanelette over the bridge of my nose is fairly effective in stopping the leaks into my eyes.

It does nothing for face farts so I've tried wrapping the whole mask in flanelette as a kind of overall liner. The leak rate is relatively high (but well within limits) and the eye leaks and face farts are pretty much gone. I hold the liner in place with multiple strips of surgical tape but will have to try a more permanent solution.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-02-2016 06:36 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

I have found that the Simplus cushions lose their elasticity with time. My insurance gives them a lifetime of one month, but I find I can go longer if I tighten the straps a bit as they age. At first I was unaware of this replacement schedule and had been using the same cushion for several months. When I changed to a new one it made a surprising difference.

Note that you have to keep the cushion clean. Oils from your face will cause it to leak. Wash in warm soapy water and use soap that has no skin softeners. You can also use wipes, but again make sure you get the kind with no lotion.

Note that if your chin slips inside the mask cushion you need to go one size smaller. I started on the large and had to switch to the medium. I do believe, though, that if you switch to the small you have to replace the entire mask.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

08-02-2016 07:57 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  One good night, now leak issues? sleepyguy99 8 354 12-03-2016 02:17 PM
Last Post: sleepyguy99
  [Pressure] Another New Player with Some Leak Issues Platypus 6 231 11-28-2016 06:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Not so new member having mask leak issues erikk 9 359 11-26-2016 02:15 PM
Last Post: erikk
  Face drying out Ibiban 1 210 11-24-2016 05:10 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  Sleep Study: Nasal vs. Full Mask harmon k 2 307 11-20-2016 06:38 PM
Last Post: harmon k
  Need full face mask advice Bob32256 11 604 11-12-2016 05:29 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  Face mask ? Thunderbritches 4 317 11-07-2016 09:52 PM
Last Post: Beej