Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Mask leaking due to opening mouth overnight
RE: Mask leaking due to opening mouth overnight
Thank you, everybody, for good suggestions... I'll start with what I can get my hands on first (considering the lockdown), which is probably the tape to tape my mouth. Will report back after a week or two when I come through my options  Smile

Good luck to all.

Regards,
Klaus
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Klausinski

I'm going to suggest something a bit different. it worked for me and it might work for you but some other points first

1. The F30 hose runs down past your chin and therefore any movement of your body during sleep can dislodge the seal.
2. Products such as Pad a Cheek can help with improving full face mask seals.
3. The soft cervical collar is a must. It supports the jaw in a way that minimises open mouth breathing - but this can still happen.

So my suggestions are:

Go for the new F30i. It's very similar to the F30 but the hose runs out of the top of the mask frame. This has a number of advantages.

Now for that different suggestion - retraining your breathing.

When I first started xPAP therapy I was a mouth breather and only managed to limit this by using a soft cervical collar. I was encouraged to
practice what was called the tongue suck technique. See, if you are a mouth breather at night you also do this during the day. The technique is simple but requires perseverance. This is how it works

Push the tip of your tongue gently on to the gum line of your upper front teeth. Suck the back of your tongue onto the the roof of your mouth. It's easy and if you've done it correctly you can open your mouth while still breathing totally through your nose.

I practiced this during the day as often as I could so that this now became imprinted as my normal at rest breathing pattern - a nose breather. I reckon it took me about six weeks but it worked. I still think about it and still try to practice it.

Just a thought - best wishes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, will try this method too... Initially I though I'd switch the machine on and the problem would be gone  Dielaughing ... I have learned already that more needs to be done... so, step by step...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 21 3 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 363 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,076 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 802 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.