Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Mask off 10 times last night - what's going on?
Mask off 10 times last night - what's going on?
My ResMed Airsense 10 indicates that my mask was on/off 10 times last night when I know I only removed it once briefly during the night.  This false data has been happening more and more lately.  Does anyone know if the machine is defective or if there are any other reasons why this erroneous data would occur?  Thanks for any help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask off 10 times last night - what's going on?
Seeing that you are using a Resmed, I would hazard a guess that you have SmartStart turned on. SmartStart on the 10 series has a known problem with incorrectly sensing a mask off condition.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried turning Smart Start off for a couple of nights and it still told me I was taking the mask on and off more than I actually did.
Post Reply Post Reply
Exactly, what is telling you that you are removing your mask?  You don't list any detailed sleep analysis software (OSCAR or ResScan) that is required to determine this.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mask On/Off is a poorly named metric. It should be named Power On/Off. The machine has no way of knowing a mask has been removed.

Are you turning the machine on and off, multiple times throughout the night?

If not, post some OSCAR graphs show an evening of a lot of unexplained Mask On/Off (Power cycles).

Possible causes:
  • Smart Start - turn it off and see if it stops.
  • Check all power cables are properly seated. (Jack in back of CPAP, cable to power brick, plug to outlet)
  • Faulty outlet, change outlet. Use extension chord if it won't reach
  • Faulty power strip
Post Reply Post Reply
On my air it gives one when you first put it on.  So even if you never take it off it will show one on/off.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Judy, download the free OSCAR software, and we can either prove or disprove you are removing your mask. Using MyAir is like asking someone from Florida if it's cold outside. OSCAR can show exactly what happened, including a large leak just before shutdown.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 119 Yesterday, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Valtor
  Irregular flow rate 3 or 4 times a night showing in OSCAR Provolone 4 411 02-21-2024, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Provolone
  Unable to keep mask throughout night Overdrawn 4 242 02-10-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Overdrawn
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 216 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Mask riding up at night robbob2112 1 321 12-22-2023, 05:58 PM
Last Post: mushroom
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 683 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  Can't keep mask on all night emash124 4 577 09-19-2023, 01:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.