Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Mask recommendations to deal with pain in septum
Mask recommendations to deal with pain in septum
I have been using the Resmed Airfit P10 since I was diagnosed, and it has been working very well until the last 2 months or so. I have developed pain in my septum area when I put the mask on, so its becoming difficult for me to use it. I use the S sized pillow.

I researched online and the F&P Brevida seemed to have high comfort ratings, so I ordered one. The mask felt extremely comfortable when I put it on. I used the XS-S sized pillow. I use an Airsense 10 AutoSet 9-15, with an EPR of 3, and a heavy ClimateLine hose. After about 30 minutes of using it, I felt air hitting my eyes. The APAP machine had reached a pressure of 11, and it looks like at that point, the mask seal was not sufficient. I switched the pillow to the M-L pillow, and immediately felt a better fit. However, now, the pillow started inflating with the inward breath, and deflating with the outward breath. I tried various levels of tightness of the strap, but to no avail. This inflation/deflation was so annoying and I couldn't get to sleep at all.

Does any one have any suggestions to improve the mask performance?

Alternatively, I could try to return it and see other options, such as the Aloha, or the N30 (I'm hesitant to try the N30i/P30i or the Dreamwear as I frequently sleep on my sides, and I suspect that the tubes on the side of the face might get crushed). Are there recommendations for pillows that don't put pressure on the septum and can handle pressure up to 15 without leaking?

The other option is to try a nasal mask. I tried the Wisp initially when I was first diagnosed, and I couldn't control the leaks. Are there options for nasal masks that can handle pressure up to 15 and an odd face contour without needing excessive tightening?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask recommendations to deal with pain in septum
I am presently alternating between the p10 and the N30 mask.  I like you also suffer from irritation from my nasal septum.  I would give the N30 a try, basically looks like a p10 with a soft cradle over the nose.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,223 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 861 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 985 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 526 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Recommendations to optimize settings roost 8 626 03-06-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: roost
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 319 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.