Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Mask sticking to face with moisture
Mask sticking to face with moisture
Hi folks
I am waking in the morning with the FF mask stuck to my face. It leaves a red mark around my mouth and cheeks.
I think I now have a slight fungal infection around my chin.
I switched off the humidifier and went back to the non heated hose but I was still damp this morning though not so bad as before.
It doesn't seem to be caused by a tight mask but more by condensation in the mask.
Bedroom temp about 13C.

Anyone got any ideas.
Regards
John
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask sticking to face with moisture
G'day John. Can you tell us what settings you're using on the humidifier? Generally speaking the heated hose should avoid this kind of problem.

If not, try using a mask liner - these are made of cloth and sit between the silicon and your skin. I have a Pad-a-cheek which I find pretty good, while other members swear by Remzzz.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2014, 08:48 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: G'day John. Can you tell us what settings you're using on the humidifier? Generally speaking the heated hose should avoid this kind of problem.

If not, try using a mask liner - these are made of cloth and sit between the silicon and your skin. I have a Pad-a-cheek which I find pretty good, while other members swear by Remzzz.

Thanks Paul fellow Perthite.
I have tried humidifier off and humidity @ 1.0 temp 27° but get the same result.
I am just coming to the end of my CPAP trial using ResMed Auto S9 and either quattro Air or F&P Simplus. I'm not sure which mask I will buy.
I had intended to buy the Auto Res med but the sleep Doc reckons the non auto would do on fixed pressure. I will look into the mask liners.
Any thoughts?
Regards
John
Post Reply Post Reply
The H5i humidifier has a couple of different modes, but some of them might be disabled by the technician. On climate control auto, you only get the option to set the temperature and not the humidity level. In this mode the humidifier automatically manages the humidity level to prevent condensation. If you don't have this mode you might want to get it turned on. You can access it via the clinician menu - you can obtain a copy of the clinician manual by email from this address: http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual Scroll down to section 3. See page 11 in the manual.

Regarding the actual machine, I'd be inclined to go for the Autoset if the price difference isn't too much to stomach. There are a number of reasons: 1) The Autoset will run at a low pressure until an apnea is detected and then increase pressure as required. After a while it will reduce pressure again. This means you're running at the lowest pressure which will keep your apnea under control. This is primarily a comfort thing, and if your max pressure is 12 then it might not be too much of a problem for you. 2) Your pressure needs will vary from time to time, depending on aging, general health, even sleeping position. The Autoset can adjust for these. 3) Having the Autoset is a bit like having a titration test every night. The Autoset will home in on the ideal settings for you. Then with Sleepyhead or Resscan software you can view how things are going and whether you need to adjust any settings.

If you do decide to go for a constant pressure machine, make sure you get the S9 Elite and NOT the Escape. The Elite (and Autoset) record a very detailed account of your breathing, pressure, leaks etc - these can be invaluable in fine tuning your therapy and tracking down gremlins. The Escape does not record any of this data.

Best of luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2014, 08:41 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: The H5i humidifier has a couple of different modes, but some of them might be disabled by the technician. On climate control auto, you only get the option to set the temperature and not the humidity level. In this mode the humidifier automatically manages the humidity level to prevent condensation. If you don't have this mode you might want to get it turned on. You can access it via the clinician menu - you can obtain a copy of the clinician manual by email from this address: http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual Scroll down to section 3. See page 11 in the manual.

Regarding the actual machine, I'd be inclined to go for the Autoset if the price difference isn't too much to stomach. There are a number of reasons: 1) The Autoset will run at a low pressure until an apnea is detected and then increase pressure as required. After a while it will reduce pressure again. This means you're running at the lowest pressure which will keep your apnea under control. This is primarily a comfort thing, and if your max pressure is 12 then it might not be too much of a problem for you. 2) Your pressure needs will vary from time to time, depending on aging, general health, even sleeping position. The Autoset can adjust for these. 3) Having the Autoset is a bit like having a titration test every night. The Autoset will home in on the ideal settings for you. Then with Sleepyhead or Resscan software you can view how things are going and whether you need to adjust any settings.

If you do decide to go for a constant pressure machine, make sure you get the S9 Elite and NOT the Escape. The Elite (and Autoset) record a very detailed account of your breathing, pressure, leaks etc - these can be invaluable in fine tuning your therapy and tracking down gremlins. The Escape does not record any of this data.

Best of luck!
Thank you Paul. I have bought the ResMed Auto and a Simplus mask.
My AHI is now 3 or less. I have also ordered a Pad a Cheek and a hose lifter and hook as I find the hose gets caught up sometimes.

The mask still sticks to my face, hopefully the Pad a Cheek will help.

Thanks again for your help..
John
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Paul
Just realized I haven't given you any feedback.. I have been using the Pad a Chhek liner and the problem is cured. Also the tube hook works well.
Thanks for the help
Regards

John
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 394 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 594 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 168 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  Low o2 with full face mask Eabhainn 2 264 02-09-2024, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ItsComplicated
  Full face mask tightness pushing jaw back and leaks wickedsleepy 11 744 02-07-2024, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.