Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Mask type
Question 
Mask type
I do not understand why I was prescribed a full face mask. The first mask I was given was to large so I got a new smaller one. My biggest problem is dry mouth and I am not sure how to cope with it. I am wondering about nasal or pillow. Are they easier or what? Going on my eleventh night and have noted no changes other than a few minutes more sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask type
Hi DRGREGORY
If air leaks out of the mask (mask leak) or mouth (mouth leaks), you won't get the full benefit of the therapy and also causes dry mouth
With full face mask, cannot be helped not breathing through your mouth

If you have no problem breathing through your nose, you can use nasal mask or nasal pillows
Both are easier to use and more comfortable than full face mask
Also don't leak as much as full face mask and don't need overtightening to create a good seal

Edit: there is Biotene mouthwash for dry mouth

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry but I have to disagree with zonk about comfort. Keep in mind that all our faces are different, that our breathing patterns are different and we sleep differently. I have found the facial masks to be the most confortable. I have tried many nasal masks and all of them were so uncomfortable that I would have stopped the cpap treatment altogether had they been the only option. I am slowly getting used to nasal pillows, but usually always go back to the facial.

My guess is that you were prescribed a facial mask because you are a mouth breather. If this is the case, and you really want to try a nasal or pillow cushion mask, you may need to wear a chin strap to keep your mouth from breathing during the night. Orherwise you will have massive leaks and the treatment will be innefective.

In the end, we are all different and the solution for one person may not work for the next person.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2015, 12:33 AM)iSteph Wrote: Sorry but I have to disagree with zonk about comfort.
You're right to disagree, we all see things from a different angle

Coffee

Post Reply Post Reply
If you don't breathe out of your mouth, try nasal pillows. For most people, pillows give the most comfort and have the least issue with leaks. A bunch of us swear by the ResMed AirFit P10 nasal pillows. The common wisdom for trying mask types, which certainly doesn't apply to everyone is: pillows > nasal mask > full face mask. I don't own a full face mask but I might get one if I'm combating a cold where my sinuses are completely blocked.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2015, 11:18 PM)DRGREGORY Wrote: I do not understand why I was prescribed a full face mask. The first mask I was given was to large so I got a new smaller one. My biggest problem is dry mouth and I am not sure how to cope with it. I am wondering about nasal or pillow. Are they easier or what? Going on my eleventh night and have noted no changes other than a few minutes more sleep.

Return the mask, and try the P10 nasal pillow mask. You can overcome mouth breathing, by using a chin strap and the tongue to roof of mouth technique.

What works for one person will not be the right choice for another. It's just a suggestion.

Also try Biotene mouth rinse before bed. I like Act Total Care mouthwash better.
Sleep-well
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The quest for the perfect mask continues...

I am a FF mask fan. The mouth even falls open so wide it breaks the seal around the chin!

I have tried chin straps but they were straining my jaw muscles.
Someone here mentioned they made a "woozle"
A chin strap that connects to the two lower straps on the FFM.
Problem solved for $3 and a trip to the hardware store!

Thank you out there in forum land. You know who you are.

=^.^=
I digress though DrGregory,
Welcome to the group and
be sure to try everything you can to get the CPAP to work
for you.
CPAP saves lives.

Cheers!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 252 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mask Type Setting Mpadgett714 1 514 12-11-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Mask type in settings isn’t the mask I’m wearing 3k9BAO 1 418 11-15-2023, 11:31 PM
Last Post: eok361
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 8 16,080 11-13-2023, 10:14 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Treatment] Where can I get this type of Boil-and-bite Mandibular Advancement Splint / MAD? selfhelpdevice 1 308 11-13-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What type of leaks are these on OSCAR? meatwagon42 2 452 11-09-2023, 10:20 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
Question What type of mask should I select on my device? hejohoo 5 588 08-21-2023, 02:02 PM
Last Post: hejohoo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.