Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Masks: My Amara View just arrived. Have you found your favorit mask?
Masks: My Amara View just arrived. Have you found your favorit mask?
So this must complete the entire range of Philips Respironics masks that I have tried and so far the only one that has been comfortable, has been what they call their "full face" cushion mask.
I will be trying the Amara View minimal contact Mask tonight and hopefully this may even be more comfortable and if not, I will be moving on to explore the Resmed range of masks.
What is your comfortable mask? Are you good with the old school masks that cover yor entire nose and mouth and go up as far as your forehead where it rests? 
Those masks seriously freak me out. I think the most I have tolerated one on my face, has been a grand total of 10 seconds before I wanted to rip it off:-) True story.
What masks do you find easy to get used to?
Don't be shy, let us hear it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Masks: My Amara View just arrived. Have you found your favorit mask?
Dream wear nasal pillow is so far the best for me.
I still have some small leaks, but lower then Pico and the same as with nasal mask.

I still want to try FFM again.
I often have congested nose and it could posibly help with breathing
Post Reply Post Reply
My collection started with that Respironics Amara View hybrid. Leaks after a few months of fiddling.

Next was the ResMed F20 AirFit silicone and AirTouch foam, full face. After 1.5 years, I've had it with that leak maker.

Next I tried ResMed N30i, a newer type nasal mask with top of head swivel connector, also got the P30i pillows cushions to have both N/P30i masks. Good masks but I breathe through my big mouth too much to tape. I would dose off and lose the tongue seal.

Next, Fisher and Paykel Simplus, a different full face with a forehead bar. Nice and reliable, but not as good as...
My Fisher and Paykel Vitera, full face, again had a forehead bar but it's leaks are manageable and consistently low. Winner.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have kinda decided to alternate between my Amara view and my F20. I like the Amara but sometimes it gets on my nerves if I can't get comfortable straing away. Some nights it seems to fit perfectly, other night I find it leaks.  The F20 rubs the bridge of my nose but is more comfortable so sometimes I use one and sometimes the other. 

I also have a F&P simplus which is okay but I don't like the forehead bit because you can't read without going screwy eyed  Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
I started out with the Quattro FX, it worked fine, except it covered my nose, preventing me from wearing my eye mask, so less than ideal, and difficult to clean. It was a compromise choice out of all the masks I’d tried at the sleep lab.

After my second sleep study, the technician suggested the Amara View, which I loved, but had trouble getting it to consistently seal at either of the smaller mask sizes. I love the hose extension, but there were some downsides to using it.

Next I tried the Dreamwear full face, which had advantages, but made it more difficult to wear my eye mask, and made my nightly routine more difficult.

I’m currently using the AirFit F30, it’s not perfect, but I’d easily rate it as the most comfortable of all the ones I’ve tried. I’ve been using it for over three years now.
Geoffrey Rush as Philip Henslowe, (Shakespeare in Love) "I don't know. It's a mystery."
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-24-2021, 10:06 AM)Boxermum Wrote: I have kinda decided to alternate between my Amara view and my F20. I like the Amara but sometimes it gets on my nerves if I can't get comfortable straing away. Some nights it seems to fit perfectly, other night I find it leaks.  The F20 rubs the bridge of my nose but is more comfortable so sometimes I use one and sometimes the other. 

I also have a F&P simplus which is okay but I don't like the forehead bit because you can't read without going screwy eyed  Thinking-about

The Amara view drove me nuts last night....Up until 3 am fiddling with it to stop the leak. Due to my rather large nose I thought I'd be proactive and ordered a Medium and a Large , however both leak like a sieve. At 2 am I found myself in the bathroom rummaging through the medicine cabinet, looking for some kind of cream in the hope that it would provide an effective seal, however all the hand creams and facial ones get absorbed into the skin after a few minutes and I am back at square one.
Eventually by 3 am I went back to dreamward full facial again.
I think I have collected th entire range of dreamwear masks by now and ready for a fun garage sale of masks only.
Post Reply Post Reply
The most comfortable mask I own is a "SleepWeaver Anew", incredibly soft on the face....BUT, it is only because it is made with a special "parachute" cloth and keeping it from leaking is a challenge.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using a nasal mask but waking up with dry mouth and chapped lips so I think maybe I should try a full face mask. I can't decide which one to give a shot, there are so many. It's good to hear what works for people.

I've been considering the Quattro Air and the Vitera...
Post Reply Post Reply
I've found the Dreamwear full face the most agreeable so far. I have tried all sorts of nasal masks too. Problem I have with nasal masks is that I have to keep my mouth shut all night somehow (and I will not tape my mouth) or I end up with very dry mouth and of course my therapy pressures go to waste every time my mouth opens up .
I know a lot of people struggle for a long time to find that perfect mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using a ResMed F30 for more than a year now and have been happy with it. I'll try another mask now and then, more out of curiosity than any problem with the F30.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] ATRIAL FIBRILLATION - CONTRARIAN VIEW? srlevine1 9 355 03-05-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 345 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 220 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 410 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 496 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 492 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 423 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.