Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Masks [What to use with stuffy nose]
Masks [What to use with stuffy nose]
New to CPAP, enjoying great success 
My only problem is i suffer from stuffy nose every once in a while and my pillow style mask (that I normally love) doesn't work 
Does anyone switch to a full face style mask for this reason when this happens
Do not want to make permanent switch just when i am stuffed up?
Thanks for looking 
look forward to the respose
Cheffy
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Masks [What to use with stuffy nose]
Hi Cheffy,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

You’ll probably get different responses, but for me, I’ve never had to switch from a pillows mask when congested.

Surprisingly, early on in my treatment, I discovered that the air delivered via nostril was enough to clear out any nasal congestion I was suffering with.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Same with me. I used a full face mask for a while for another reason. When I had seasonal allergies blockage, I had more trouble with the FFM than I did with my pillows.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Many years ago my thought was that every user needed a FFM as backup for when they were stuffy.  I could certainly use a FFM when stuffy but what I discovered was that when I was real bad stuffed, just using pm P10 pillows, or my nasal mask for a couple of minutes really cleared it up.  

That said, you should always have a backup mask that you can use.  It can be the same model or a different one.  You never know when the dog will discover a new chew toy, or it fell on the floor and you stepped on it (Cruuunnnchhhh!!!).

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Cheffy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy and finding a mask that works well for you.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Originally I switched to a FFM when I was stuffy, and that was an ok solution.

But so many here have said their P10s blow right through the stuffiness, I finally decided to give it a try. Sure enough, they're right! It was tough to breathe for maybe(?) 2 min, but sure enough it opened up my breathing passageway and it no longer was stuffy (while on CPAP). I'm quite impressed! It didn't take too long (just a couple minutes).
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the great responses 
i will keep with the pillow style i have now and see if it breaks up the stuffy.
But i love the idea of having a back up and will probable go full face for that
thanks for the help
Cheffyu
Post Reply Post Reply
There are somethings that help with stuffy noses--nasal sprays, Breathe Right nose strips and theNeilMed Sinus Rinse system--I've used the spray bottle not the NetiPot. I have a chronic rhinitis that nothing helps--my nose is a little stuffy all day. I started out with the Sinus Rinse because I didn't know how I would sleep without the CPAP mask and not open my mouth. After awhile I quit using it and found my small amount of stuffiness does not get worse, but better, under pressure with CPAP. I've only had about 3 incidents of waking up not able to breath with my nose firmly plugged up in two and a half years of CPAP use. I've had to do some pretty heavy breathing for a minute or so a few times but then things open up again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Similar experience here. A P10 or similar nasal pillow mask actually helps relieve what used to be pretty obtrusive rhinitis. As mentioned, give it a few minutes to get working when you start your session, and give it a few days to get used to it. Use a dab of Lansinoh if needed. Only advice I'd add is to use the humidifier and heated tube functions, assuming you have them, and perhaps adjust those setting up or down according to your preference and comfort level.

Welcome
[Image: animated-smileys-dancing-078.gif]
Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana
Post Reply Post Reply
Vomit I was staring at the above post too long.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 202 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 152 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,983 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 173 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 348 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 649 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.