Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Massive air leak.
Massive air leak.
I am in desperate need of some help. I have had this unit for leads than a year, and in the past few weeks, my air leak rate has gone through the roof. My leakage is around 15 normally but am now ranging from 19-34 liters/min.

I also have a heated hose, nasal pillows, and have never had problems like this before.

For the record, I have used Respironics for 9/10 years, and never had air leakage problems. I am trying to get back into another Respironics but who knows.

Just tired of this garbage S9 that has too many places to leak out.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Massive air leak.
I'm confused....CPAP machines themselves don't leak. Mabye it's a hose leak or a mask leak.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-24-2015, 05:55 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I'm confused....CPAP machines themselves don't leak. Mabye it's a hose leak or a mask leak.

That is exactly what happened to me recently as I had a hose leak even though I couldn't see the crack. I realized something was wrong when my mask was making mysterious noises. Since I had just replaced it, I figured that couldn't be the problem and decided to start with replacing the hose. Bingo.

Good luck to shrek in solving the problem.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-24-2015, 06:11 AM)49er Wrote:
(07-24-2015, 05:55 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I'm confused....CPAP machines themselves don't leak. Mabye it's a hose leak or a mask leak.

That is exactly what happened to me recently as I had a hose leak even though I couldn't see the crack. I realized something was wrong when my mask was making mysterious noises. Since I had just replaced it, I figured that couldn't be the problem and decided to start with replacing the hose. Bingo.

I've noticed that hoses are not made well. I had a crack in one that I started with,
and it's hard to see.
At least it wasn't the heated hose, just the regular one that can be replaced fairly
cheap.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, here is what I do know...
The humidifier on the S9 should have cleaning recommendations for the seals as they do get dirty and can create a leak.
The Plastic outlet to the hose is not a tight fit at all. I used some saline to clean and hopefully seal the hose but it is almost like I can pull the hose off on either the CPAP side or the mask side with virtually no effort at all.

I know the issue does not reside in the mask because that is the only part of the equation that has actually been reliable, so it comes down to either a bad hose (which is maybe 3 months old and is a heated hose), or there is a problem with the unit.

When I was driving truck, I had to dismantle the CPAP every single day so it could be stored away, So it could be an issue with the whole unit since I was told by the company I got it from that it can be run on an inverter, and I have had bad luck with that no matter what anyone says. I have blown 3 CPAP's because of using inverters.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-24-2015, 06:16 AM)OpalRose Wrote:
(07-24-2015, 06:11 AM)49er Wrote:

I've noticed that hoses are not made well. I had a crack in one that I started with,
and it's hard to see.
At least it wasn't the heated hose, just the regular one that can be replaced fairly
cheap.

Actually they can leak, it just depends on the model. My original RemSTAR that I owned back in the early 2000's had 2 possible places to leak. From the CPAP to the humidifier tank, or the humidifier tank to the outlet to the hose. However, both where actually extremely tight fitting and never had leakage problems.

Now, if you look at the Resmed S9 w/H5i you have a seal from the CPAP to Humidifier module, you have a seal that goes around the interconnect, you have a seal on the lid, you have a seal on the tank. The more complex they make these, the greater the possibility of leakage.

If you look at the Respironics units (can't think of the model numbers off hand). Yes they still have the seal between the CPAP and the humidifier, but the seal between the tank and outlet is tight. So you have gone from 4 possible air leaks on the Resmed to 2 on the Respironics.

Of course, you're always going to have the issue of leakage through broken hoses, masks, and Respiratory therapists who seem to think they know what is the best mask for you.

I hope that clarifies some of the confusion for you Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
The water tank in the H5i humidifier is pressed against an O-ring at the outlet when the lid is closed. So, the outlet may appear loose; but it seals well. Leaks are most often at the mask to patient interface. The hose doesn't last long; it's intended to be replaced frequently -- especially the "cheap" hoses many DMEs provide.

The seal in the lid of the H5i easily peels off for cleaning. When troubleshooting leaks, one should not forget the H5i to S9 interface -- with the tank removed, depress the latch on the back and separate. Inspect and re-attach the H5i.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-24-2015, 07:11 AM)justMongo Wrote: The water tank in the H5i humidifier is pressed against an O-ring at the outlet when the lid is closed. So, the outlet may appear loose; but it seals well. Leaks are most often at the mask to patient interface. The hose doesn't last long; it's intended to be replaced frequently -- especially the "cheap" hoses many DMEs provide.

The seal in the lid of the H5i easily peels off for cleaning. When troubleshooting leaks, one should not forget the H5i to S9 interface -- with the tank removed, depress the latch on the back and separate. Inspect and re-attach the H5i.

Yeah, that is exactly what I did. I just have had nothing but problems with this unit from day 1 and this particular issue is the topper. the Heated hose for the H5i is expensive, I try to keep it from kinking, and I have to use it otherwise I cannot use the machine at all because of the condensation.

You are right though, DME's love cheap garbage. The CPAP's we have today are not even close to being as durable as they used to be 10 years ago. My Respironics I had for 6 years, the circuit board fried on it, and I got this as a replacement. I about cried.

The good thing is I just had a download done (I have not done it on my computer but my therapist did the download) and they are seeing a massive leak and it is not from the hose. It is somewhere on the machine. We are hoping to warranty the H5i, but the DME is cheap (as you stated), and I may have to go elsewhere even though the machine is only 1yr old.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, I did a little checking on the humidifier.
I pulled the patient interface tube and seal. I removed, cleaned, and reinstalled.
I pulled the flip lid seal removed, cleaned, and reinstalled.
I checked the CPAP -> Humidifier seal.
I removed the tank, cleaned, and reinstalled the tank.
Instead of connecting it to the CPAP, I put my hand over the patient interface tube so it was sealed off, blew into the other side and could hear air leaking out of the lid. It makes no sense at all why it is leaking. But, at least I know where it is.
Post Reply Post Reply
IMHO: The weak point of the H5i design is the lid hinge. It just seems too delicate. Some folks have broken off one or more tabs -- usually a black one associated with the H5i body. Missing one might not be a big deal; but, at some point it becomes compromised.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 32 8 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 153 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 135 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 178 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.