Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Massive leak rate, tape isn't helping
RE: Massive leak rate, tape isn't helping
Oscar can import data from ZEO, Dreem, Somnopose, and Viatom.

In the zoomed shot, actually the first CA is preceded by dwindling breaths and so doesn't suggest arousal to me, though perhaps something earlier would provide a different context. The second one follows a little sequence of arousal, dwindling, arousal, and dwindling. This waxing and waning was set off by the recovery breathing/arousal from the first CA.

The RERA flags will drop only when there are data to suggest that the arousal follows respiratory effort. Arousals that happen without that context won't be flagged.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a cms 50F that is about 100 on amazon and 80 on ebay.  This is what I get in OSCAR.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2020, 09:32 PM)staceyburke Wrote: I used a double mouth guard for awhile. It worked fairly well but I had my wisdom teeth removed years ago and air came through those spaces. If it were not for that it worked well and cost was less than $20.

I'll have to hit up the sporting goods store, the local big department store didn't have anything in double (upper/lower) style.

(09-21-2020, 10:52 AM)staceyburke Wrote: I have a cms 50F that is about 100 on amazon and 80 on ebay.  This is what I get in OSCAR.

Looks neat but I was hoping to use the existing hardware I have and not necessarily add another gadget to my increasingly complicated bedtime routine. =)
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2020, 10:24 AM)Dormeo Wrote: Oscar can import data from ZEO, Dreem, Somnopose, and Viatom.

In the zoomed shot, actually the first CA is preceded by dwindling breaths and so doesn't suggest arousal to me, though perhaps something earlier would provide a different context.  The second one follows a little sequence of arousal, dwindling, arousal, and dwindling.  This waxing and waning was set off by the recovery breathing/arousal from the first CA.

The RERA flags will drop only when there are data to suggest that the arousal follows respiratory effort.  Arousals that happen without that context won't be flagged.

Gotcha. Might be worth making a request over in the software area?

Here's a little more context, 

A little wider view, including a RERA that happened ~25 minutes prior.

And a closeup of the first CA that night. I seem to have one pretty regularly around the 2-2.5 hour mark.

I forgot to put the SD card back in last night and missed another "zero" leak rate night. Bummer!
Post Reply Post Reply
I hate when I don't get the SD card slotted in! About the CAs: I think the earlier one comes after some disruption: you held your breath for a little bit, then breathed more deeply, then tapered, then took a couple of big arousal breaths. It's possible that all of that was part of the grand finale to a REM period -- or not. Too little information.

The other one: arousal at 5:52, then some waxing and waning before the two CAs. The earlier RERA doesn't seem on the face of it to be playing a role.

Yes, you can certainly ask over on the tech site what the prospects are for other sleep monitoring data imports into Oscar. I'm put off by the cost, but I'm semi-tempted to get a Dreem just to see whether some of my guesses about REM, arousals, etc., match up to data that come, in part, from EEG. OTOH, I'm trying not to be too obsessive!
Post Reply Post Reply
To what do you attribute the sudden drop in your leak rate?  What "add-ons" (SCC, chin strap, tape) are you using?

i am also struggling with leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2020, 09:24 PM)Dormeo Wrote: I hate when I don't get the SD card slotted in!  About the CAs:  I think the earlier one comes after some disruption: you held your breath for a little bit, then breathed more deeply, then tapered, then took a couple of big arousal breaths.  It's possible that all of that was part of the grand finale to a REM period -- or not.  Too little information.

I haven't figured out how to read the wavy lines yet so I'll have to trust you on that. Wink What kind of additional information would be useful for that CA? Pulse/ox? Different chart in OSCAR?

Quote:The other one: arousal at 5:52, then some waxing and waning before the two CAs.  The earlier RERA doesn't seem on the face of it to be playing a role.

Waxing and waning = increase and decrease in respiration rate?

Quote:Yes, you can certainly ask over on the tech site what the prospects are for other sleep monitoring data imports into Oscar.  I'm put off by the cost, but I'm semi-tempted to get a Dreem just to see whether some of my guesses about REM, arousals, etc., match up to data that come, in part, from EEG.  OTOH, I'm trying not to be too obsessive!

My other thought is that it's open source so it may be possible to tinker with the code in my (fleeting) spare time. Not sure if I've got the chops for that but I've done some software projects in the past. I'm an engineer and tend to go overboard with technical solutions to simple problems. Big Grin

In other news, I had another perfect score night last night and remembered to put in the card! One CA, one OA, one UA. AHI was only 0.39!

CA first, around 4.5 hours in:

OA about 6 hours in:

UA, might have been while I was half awake but hadn't gotten up and turned off the snorkel:

Scrolling through the data there are at least 4-5 other occasions where an obstruction happens, must be just a little too short to be flagged as a full event. Is it worthwhile posting a few of those?

(09-22-2020, 10:23 AM)Computerdoc Wrote: To what do you attribute the sudden drop in your leak rate?  What "add-ons" (SCC, chin strap, tape) are you using?

i am also struggling with leaks.

I've been using the Knightsbridge dual chin strap for a few weeks now, been dialing in the position of the bands and finally seem to have the right position and tension. It's still awkward and uncomfortable as I'm falling asleep--presses too much against the soft tissue under my jaw--but I can't argue with the results.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
Congratulations on finding something that works for you.  Knightsbridge was just too hot and itchy for me.  Nasal pillow mask and tape seem to be showing me some results.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gronk

All of those events you posted look to me like movement/arousal related you see how they have a change in the flow pattern before the event. When your numbers are as low as yours are it’s all about sleep quality I don’t see anything to change on the machine great job
Post Reply Post Reply
The Oscar data are generally not enough to figure out REM; you'd need something like a Dreem, which has EEG. However, there are changes in other parameters that are broadly indicative of REM, which is how other sleep trackers work. And one of those is respiration rate, which may increase during REM sleep. Or not.

The waxing and waning are in the flow rate, which shows you the liters per minute of air flowing in and out as you breathe. (The respiration rate shows how many breaths per minute.) The traces above the zero line are the flow rate during inhalation; the traces at the zero line are pauses in breathing, and the traces below zero line are exhalations.

Awake breathing tends to be less regular and move more air per minute than asleep breathing. So when you see those periods where the flow rate traces go higher/lower and look kind of raggedy, that's an indication of an arousal. Some arousals don't seem to disrupt sleep architecture (the succession of sleep stages), but others do.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 6 60 32 minutes ago
Last Post: ahuman
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 32 8 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 151 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 858 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.