Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Merging my 'mask' hunt threads
Gross 
Merging my 'mask' hunt threads
You'd think after all these years on my machine, I'd have the perfect mask, right?

History:
For the last 6-8 years I've been using one 'nasal mask' (Flexi-fit 407), some 90% of the time, and when ill I'd swap to my full-face 'Quattro' mask. Not wonderful, but overall it seemed to work for me most nights, most of the time.

Then I decided to do some reading, and actually learn more about my OSA, and how to care for it, etc. In doing so, I learned that what I thought of as 'normal', was really not so good, namely, a leak rate that was/is too high most of the time. During this exploration, I realized that my multi-year old mask was leaking around the swivel - so time to replace it.

What I Tried:

I ordered a replacement of my old stand-by. But also decided since my FFM had been chewed on (by puppy), and was somewhat painful to wear, I would search for and buy a new mask.

I bought, tried, and then returned a "Sleepweaver Anew" - leaked too much to even try to sleep with.

I found in my spares box, a "Swift LT", and since I hadn't used nose pillows in many years, gave that a go for a few nights.
Found that I needed my humidity a *lot* higher! Nice fit, no leaks, comfy - but painful inside my nasal passages - like up in my head pain - too much pressure perhaps? Anyhow, something to think on, and maybe slowly work my way into...

For no real reason, I ordered a "Quattro Air" FFM to try. Have only used it one night so far, but am having real leak issues! This mask is fighting me, not painful, but whether loose or tight, leaks are an issue. Am going to skip it for a night, then try it again - I do have return insurance on it, so it *can* go back, but each return still costs me bout $20 bucks a toss - and to me that hurts.

At the same time, I ordered a "Wisp". The idea really interested me! It seems that the smaller the 'seal' area, the lower the possible leaks seem to be. Plus, replacement parts for nose pillows as well as the Wisp are a fair bit cheaper than for my other masks...

So, anyhow, I took the Wisp out of the packaging, and without touching or adjusting anything, slipped it on, started my 'mask test' and got ZERO LEAKS right out the door~! The head-gear isn't even snug, it's just sort of hanging on my head, with no stretch in it, and the 'mask' (if you can call this little cup-thing a mask) is on my nose fitting perfectly. OMG!! It's the small/MED size. Can you say 'WOW'? I can!

Now, there is a small fly buzzing around (of course) - and that is called "mouth-breathing". Prior to my nose surgery many years ago, I was a simple mouth-breather all the time. Couldn't even sit still and read a book without breathing through my mouth. After the surgery, much different. Nose breathing is where it's at in my book. Makes kissing more fun too :-)

The problem is, I randomly 'hiss' out my mouth, which raises my leak rate, and my AHI and AI too. Like above, I last tried a 'Chin strap' many years ago, and they just didn't work. So I am ordering a new chin strap Monday.

Any suggestions on which one to buy?

My concern is I just do not know if I am mouth-breathing because my jaw relaxed and dropped, or if I am breathing (hissing) between my teeth with my jaw closed?

I guess the take-away from this post is; if you haven't looked at, or tried a new mask in a few years or longer, it may well be worth your time to scope them out. Changes are happening, and the products are maturing it seems.

My next question is, which will be better? The 'Wisp', or the new "Swift FX Nano"??
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Merging my 'mask' hunt threads
I love my Wisp and you will only be able to change it when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers. Too-funny

I have not used the Swift Nano so I can not give you any guidance.

The choice of a mask is a highly personal one and what works for one person may not work for another.

I would suggest working with your DME to see if you can try each of those masks.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Peter_C,
I use the wisp with the cilicon frame and like it very much. I don't use a chinstrap but I have in the past, I could never find one I liked but of course,YMMV.
I have thought about trying the Nano to compare the two but I haven't done it yet.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
There is one thing about the Wisp I didn't mention to you and Trish's comment reminded me of it.

When the Wisp first came out, there were some issues with the fabric-framed Wisps. Hopefully, Respironics has those issues taken care of.

Given the choice of Wisps with fabric frames or silicon frames, I choose the silicon frames personally. Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As did I. I'm more interested in long-life than a possible comfort increase that cloth *might* give. Compared to other masks I've worn in the past, this is like a gift from God!

I didn't do too bad last night, the mask did feel different of course, so that woke me a few times - not to adjust, just because it felt different. Leak rate was only 0.22L/s and AHI was 8.2 and AI was 1.4, which for me is very good numbers. My O2 still dropped below 88 like 14 times, but the lowest was only 82 - so if I can get the O2 up a bit (and keep getting those numbers) I'll be happy.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,528 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Merging O2 & CPAP Data clearairways 3 618 11-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,216 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,757 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Newbie Joins Hunt for CPAP Machine jimolson52 9 934 03-10-2022, 03:45 PM
Last Post: Aldebaran
Smile [Admin Note] The "Stickies" (Important Threads) SuperSleeper 1 721 12-18-2021, 06:57 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Wiki Entries or Threads on Causes of Sleep Apnea? Helena 4 605 08-18-2021, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Helena

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.