Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Mirage Quattro is killing me.
RE: Mirage Quattro is killing me.
Johnny:
Welcome aboard.

I've been using a CPAP for the last 10 years. I started with a full-face mask (FFM) but after a couple years of use I switched to nasal pillows. They're much more comfortable.

I recently rented a "modern" (data logging) APAP and discovered that I'ma mouth breather and have episodes during the night where the therapy is probably not working. I decided to buy a new FFM and am having a tough time switching over because the FFM is less comfortable than the pillows. One thing I noticed is that when I fit the mask and attached it to the PAP, it was comfortable and didn't leak very much - this totally changed when I lay down, the mask leaks quite a bit from the chin area. I found that building a "wedge" of pillows (so my head is raised up a bi) and re-fitting the FFM eliminated the chin leakage.

I'm still using the nasal pillows but am working my way back to the FFM.

Hope to see your data soon!

Regards-
Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Johnny - I've had the vacuum cleaner attached to my face every night now for about 3 years. The first night I wore it I thought my life was over in numerous ways. After several weeks I regained my energy and the reward was worth the insanity of having air blown through my head.

Now, I am used to it. I'll bet you'll get used to it too. CPAP experience is like my new knees. It's not as good as it was but way better than what I had.

You wrote - "My pressure literally blows my lips apart and puffs my cheeks up."

From help here, I became aware of mouth breathing. It appears that was what was degrading my therapy and I started taping rather than going to a full face mask.

So I use nasal pillows and tape. After reading what you wrote you may be mouth breathing, and rather than create the needed pressure to keep your airway open, air escaping out the mouth diminishes the object of the CPAP therapy: to have enough air pressure to keep the airways open.

I am confused here regarding settings, and I am no exert as I have recently been coming to understand terminology and how things work after trying to figure out what was going wrong with my nightly sleep therapy.

Your machine is an APAP - right? That means it automatically adjust air pressure to what is required to prevent apneas? If it's set at a minimum pressure that is not too far from your 90% pressure than that's the pertinent setting mojo needed. Board member please correct me if I am wrong.

Is your machine set to APAP therapy?

Don't know if I am making sense but trying to help, and from what I understand (which could be wrong) if pressure is not leaking (out you mouth for instance) and your machine is auto adjusting the pressure you should not be having the issues I quoted in this post.

Hope you get it worked out. Now considering what my machine does for me I love the damn thing! In a few months I hope to say the same thing about my knees!

Good luck and keep at it.

AC
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2017, 11:07 AM)JohnnyRotten Wrote: Hello everyone,
I am sure there is a topic out there, but I have spent about 45 minutes looking and have not found the answer I am looking for. 

I am on month 2 of my CPAP experience.  And it has been hell.  I woke up more refreshed before this machine and death mask entered my life.  I am so new that I do not know any of the terms that I will need to be using and I hope that y'all will be patient with me when I have no clue what you are talking about. ;-)

Anyway, I think I would probably sleep fine it wasn't for the medieval torture device I have to strap to my face.  I have done, what I think, is everything to keep it from leaking and flubbering all night.  I have found instructions about adjusting it at my highest pressure while laying down.  And it leaks until I get it tight enough to bring on a pounding headache and red marks and indentions in my skin.  I figure this has to be wrong.  No one should have to  put up with this pain for the sake of their health.

Am I not adjusting it correctly or do I need to start looking for a different mask that can handle higher pressures?  My high end pressure is actually 2 points higher that the Dreamstation Auto CPAP (DSX500S11) highest setting (At least I think my Doctor said that was the case).  So I am using a leaf blower at night. HA.  The Mirage Quartto was fitted at my Sleep Doc.  We went through a ten, or so, masks and they decided that this one was the correct one.  BUT, I don't recall fitting it with a machine blowing air into the mask.

HELPPPPPPPP.  I can not put up with another month of 2-3 hours of sleep a night.

you need to fit the mask to your face
not all masks fit everybody right

cant you try it at the store before you leave with pressure
if the doc fitted it then i wonder if you are putting it on right
or the doc picked one for some other reason than not leaking 

i just look in a mirror and make sure mine is straight
set the stretchy things like the booklet said
put it on the way the picture showed
and mine works fine

when there is a leak which is rare
i feel it and just move the mask slightly to stop it
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 190 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Quattro FX full face mask? Wayne41 5 400 01-17-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: Wayne41
  Mirage FX Vs Eson 2 mask jblkiller 0 488 07-27-2023, 10:04 AM
Last Post: jblkiller
  Mirage Quattro Question Jimnyc2000 0 507 07-03-2023, 09:59 PM
Last Post: Jimnyc2000
  F30i killing me JamJam 1 627 06-08-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  DIY ResMed S10 Air Inlet UVC Bug Killing System MoreBeers 31 1,925 11-27-2022, 10:54 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Mirage FX mask: Wide or Standard HappyCpappySmile 0 578 08-24-2022, 11:38 PM
Last Post: HappyCpappySmile

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.