Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Mirrage Quattro letting me down
Mirrage Quattro letting me down
I've been using the Mirage Quattro FFM for 5.5 years. I've liked it from the start; and it has served me well. I need a FFM because I will mouth breathe; and my IPAP will go to 18 -- higher if I let it. Plus, I am not a fan of pillows. also, I like the adjustable nose bridge on the Quattro. it helps me get a comfortable seal at the top of my nose.

Just recently I have been bothered by leaks. The curved seal surface that "floats" on my face seems to blow outward. It's like my face has changed (yeah, Aliens.)

Oddly, a new mask cushion is actually worse that a well used one.

My therapy numbers are still good. I just sleep fewer hours because I get fed up with trying to readjust the mask.

That's my story -- and I'm stickin' to it.

[Image: Detail%20Data%2013-14%20March_Page_3.jpg]
[Image: Detail%20Data%2013-14%20March_Page_5.jpg]
[Image: Detail%20Data%2013-14%20March_Page_1.jpg]
[Image: Detail%20Data%2013-14%20March_Page_2.jpg]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mirrage Quattro letting me down
I didn't have much luck with the Mirage Quattro either. I got one to use when feeling congested, but I had trouble with leaks that sounded like a trombone playing on my face. I haven't had much need for a full face mask lately after I needed to increase my pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mongo,

How old is the shell of your Mirage Quattro? I am just thinking that possibly over time the shell has distorted some making it increasingly difficult to maintain the seal and maybe the older pillows are more conforming than the new ones. I guess what I am trying to ask is, "Is it time for a whole new mask?"

The other question is whether or not your facial topography has changed in the 5.5 years and maybe you need to modify your fitting procedure. I find that on my face there is kind of a teeter totter effect with my cheekbones being the fulcrum. The tighter that i make the bottom straps, the further our I need to extend the adjustable nose bridge portion of the seal and vice versa. The more that I retract the adjustable nose bridge, the looser I can have the bottom straps.

Just my initial thoughts.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2015, 06:13 PM)big_dave Wrote: I didn't have much luck with the Mirage Quattro either. I got one to use when feeling congested, but I had trouble with leaks that sounded like a trombone playing on my face. I haven't had much need for a full face mask lately after I needed to increase my pressure.

I think that 5.5 years of good service is pretty good luck but that is just my opinion and we all know what opinions are like.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I was thinkin' what Payton was thinkin'.... How scary is that?

either that, or your fuel jets need cleaning.

You could get a new Quattro...... Or you could just migrate to the P10 like Paula is going to do........... Resistance is futile.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2015, 06:38 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Mongo,

How old is the shell of your Mirage Quattro? I am just thinking that possibly over time the shell has distorted some making it increasingly difficult to maintain the seal and maybe the older pillows are more conforming than the new ones. I guess what I am trying to ask is, "Is it time for a whole new mask?"

The other question is whether or not your facial topography has changed in the 5.5 years and maybe you need to modify your fitting procedure. I find that on my face there is kind of a teeter totter effect with my cheekbones being the fulcrum. The tighter that i make the bottom straps, the further our I need to extend the adjustable nose bridge portion of the seal and vice versa. The more that I retract the adjustable nose bridge, the looser I can have the bottom straps.

Just my initial thoughts.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

I've gotten a complete new mask roughly once per year. The present frame frame is about 6 months old. And, I have a complete new spare still sealed in the bag.

I find exactly what you describe relative to the lower straps versus the adjustment of the nose bridge. Once I get the mask to fit, I could go night after night with the same adjustment. (Maybe just a little tweak.)

I have had round cheeks since I was a kid. A friend did a caricature of me when I was a senior in high school 50+ years ago. In a caricature, one exaggerates a persons features. So, it has theses big round cheeks. I wasn't fat either -- I was 6'2" @ 165 pounds.

I think the cheeks are the fulcrum as you point out. Also that's where the mask seal has been blowing out.

Seems like it was more often, but you can see the large leaks where the mask lost seal; and I was fiddling with it last night.

I must confess that in the last 5 years, I have been aging fast.

I think I'll put a new cushion in tonight.

As for the P10:
...We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender Churchill
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Had a better night last night. Over 8 hours sleep with an AHI of 0.7 I feel good! (Sung to the tune of James Brown.)
I need to pull out one of my spare mask cushions and check the packaging to see that's it's genuine ResMed and not some cheap knock-off.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quattro FX full face mask? Wayne41 5 361 01-17-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: Wayne41
  Mirage Quattro Question Jimnyc2000 0 477 07-03-2023, 09:59 PM
Last Post: Jimnyc2000
  RIP Quattro FX dave1013 5 709 08-16-2022, 04:12 PM
Last Post: dave1013
  Mirage Quattro Headgear GidgeMo 0 544 11-14-2021, 01:32 PM
Last Post: GidgeMo
  Mirage Quattro Sizes tulip0852 5 925 10-15-2020, 11:42 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Full Face Mask - Resmed Mirage Quattro vs F20 struts 5 6,457 07-31-2020, 10:06 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  [Equipment] Quick question - Quattro Air v F20 DeepBreathing 2 986 01-11-2020, 03:12 AM
Last Post: DeepBreathing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.