[Equipment] Model names etc help please?
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

Sex: Male

Model names etc help please?
Hello - I've been in CPAP for 15 years (it turns out), currently on a bi-level machine.

Saw my sleep Doc 2 weeks ago (First time since 09) - he agreed that between me and Pain MGNT an ASV machine would be a great idea. The problem is that It's Medicaid/Medacare...

My last titration was for CPAP only, and that was back in 2008. No work, no income, no healthcare, but 100% compliance (can prove it with all data since last Nov 2013.

I have 100% coverage thru June. Then it scales back to 'plain' Medicare. To add to it, my right TKR is being done on the 24th.

My current (old) machine is turning itself off/on randomly now.

My goal/desire was to get a new machine (even if plain CPAP and/or Autoset - but with full data and (I forget words) exhale pressure relief. I wish to stay with Resmed.

Would someone kindly tell me the top two choices in S9 Resmed machines, both 'autoset' and non-autoset, so I can write them down?

This would at least upgrade me to a machine that can 'see' centrals, and is not starting to get flaky - and then once stable after surgery I will go thru the new titration studies and everything else Medicare will require from both the Doc and I.

Does the above make sense? The RT in charge thinks Medicaid won't do *anything* for me at this point until I have a new study done. So I am having to push - the sleep Doc is great however, and we go back all 15 odd years together - as one of his worst/best patients ever (ahem) a dubious honor to be sure.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
06-12-2014 09:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
diamaunt Offline

Members-b

Machine: S9 VPAP Auto 36006
Mask Make & Model: mirage quattro/pilairo q
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 9-20ish
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: Model names etc help please?
all resmed s9 machines *except* the escape (36001) and escape auto (36002) are full data and attempt to flag centrals.

the autoset (36005) is the single level auto, then there's the vpap auto (which I have) (36006) which is a bi-level with the ability to as a cpap, an autoset (set the pressure support to 0) or a full auto bilevel machine. (it also has a vpap S mode, so it can behave like the vpap S (36004) which is pretty much a standard bilevel unit.

the asv is the vpap adapt, (36037) there's an older version, the 36007 that doesn't have a full auto mode, they look identical, so check the REF numbers.

non auto models would be the elite, (36003), vpap s (36004), vpap ST (36038) I'm not sure whether the VPAP ST-A (36009) has an auto mode.
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2014 11:09 AM by diamaunt.)
06-12-2014 11:09 AM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

So, since it must be *only* a CPAP, not bi-level, Shoot for the S9 Autoset, or failing that, the S9 Elite.

TY

The VPAP ST-A is the latest and greatest full-blown unit with ASV and Auto mode (what I was hoping to get without all the paper-shuffling.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
06-12-2014 01:53 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
bwexler Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PRS 1 BiPAP autoSV Advanced, with Heated Tube humidifier
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Sleepweaver √Član
Humidifier: Resperonics Heated Tube humidifier
CPAP Pressure: Max pressure 25.0 cm H20, Max
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncorePro

Other Comments: CMS 50i with Software for SpO2

If you can get the doc to write the prescription for the top of the line S9 36037 VPAP Adapt, dispense as written.
You may get lucky and get the machine you need one time rather than trying to justify 2 machines a few months apart. The alternate might be to rent the best you can arrange until you get your ducks in a row.
I did go from doctor visit to sleep lab to new ASV machine in about 2 weeks last October. So it can be done if you are very squeaky.
06-12-2014 04:28 PM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(06-12-2014 09:17 AM)Peter_C Wrote:  Would someone kindly tell me the top two choices in S9 Resmed machines, both 'autoset' and non-autoset, so I can write them down?
[Image: s9-autoset-models.jpg]

There is S9 AutoSet and S9 Escape Auto
You want S9 AutoSet ... Escape from the Escape and its cousin the Escape Auto
There is nothing S9 (enhanced algorthim and leak detection) about the Escape Auto, not even like the older S8 AutoSet
Boggle the mind ... why ResMed
S9 Elite is data capable fixed pressure machine but why getting the Elite if you can get AutoSet which can be operated in two modes, one is fixed pressure mode and the other is auto-adjusting mode ... two machines in one ... perfect solution for all occasions
06-12-2014 04:34 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

It's not about what I want, it's about Medicare and their rules. My sleep doc is all for the AVS machine due to pain mgnt meds. I am wanting/hoping to get something prior to my surgery in 11 days - not looking good, as my last study was in '08 and wasn't on bi-level. The switch to bi-level was documented in his notes, etc - but that isn't good enough (I am told) for Medicare.

So new studies/testing will be planned in a few months, meanwhile my machine is starting to reboot itself, and other funny things, my backup in my 15yr old brick CPAP (works fine), just old.

06-13-2014 03:56 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

If you need something to get you by and be a great backup, then go for the Autoset. Call up Supplier#2 and see how fast they can send one out to you. As long as you have the prescription, they can send one out really fast.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-13-2014 06:54 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(06-13-2014 03:56 PM)Peter_C Wrote:  It's not about what I want, it's about Medicare and their rules.
Medicare have one billing code E0601 for all CPAP devices (ResMed S9 - Escape, Escape Auto, Elite, AutoSet)
and E0470 for Bilevel devices
06-13-2014 07:01 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

US Medicare is under the impression that sleep apnea is curable or that somehow we no longer need the CPAP. They would rather pay for a high priced sleep test than to pay for another machine, especially if the patient has been good and has kept their machine alive for a while. Instead of supporting the patient, they instantly believe them to be liars and call for a sleep test. In other words, a duct taped covered CPAP isn't proof of compliance which is all they care about.

In the long run, Medicare does good, but it is little things like this that drives us nuts.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-13-2014 09:30 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
diamaunt Offline

Members-b

Machine: S9 VPAP Auto 36006
Mask Make & Model: mirage quattro/pilairo q
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 9-20ish

Other Comments:

(06-12-2014 01:53 PM)Peter_C Wrote:  The VPAP ST-A is the latest and greatest full-blown unit with ASV and Auto mode (what I was hoping to get without all the paper-shuffling.)

I've done a little more research, and the ST-A isn't the model with asv and auto... it's got CPAP / S / ST / T / PAC / iVAPS modes,

the only one with ASV and autoASV is the vpap adapt.

the only one with everything is the VPAP Tx.
06-18-2014 07:48 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  ResMed Model 10 water Tank Jackie999 5 435 09-29-2016 07:30 AM
Last Post: lab rat
  Respironics Bipap S/T Gray Model - COPD Set Up Question? bowiefan 2 257 09-26-2016 11:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CONFIGURATION RESMED S9 ESCAPE MODEL ziozeb 4 359 09-24-2016 08:04 PM
Last Post: pupcamper
Question [CPAP] Adjusting Pressure on Respironics Model 362505 RobertK 20 4,391 09-19-2016 01:28 PM
Last Post: RobertK
  Respironics Bipap ST (gray model) setting question bowiefan 3 400 09-05-2016 10:32 AM
Last Post: AUDavidSydney
  How do I know what model Respironic BiPap I have? bnewberry 2 334 06-15-2016 10:29 PM
Last Post: justMongo
Cool [CPAP] Camping power supply older model wrmfuzzie 4 504 05-30-2016 12:55 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred