Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Model names etc help please?
Model names etc help please?
Hello - I've been in CPAP for 15 years (it turns out), currently on a bi-level machine.

Saw my sleep Doc 2 weeks ago (First time since 09) - he agreed that between me and Pain MGNT an ASV machine would be a great idea. The problem is that It's Medicaid/Medacare...

My last titration was for CPAP only, and that was back in 2008. No work, no income, no healthcare, but 100% compliance (can prove it with all data since last Nov 2013.

I have 100% coverage thru June. Then it scales back to 'plain' Medicare. To add to it, my right TKR is being done on the 24th.

My current (old) machine is turning itself off/on randomly now.

My goal/desire was to get a new machine (even if plain CPAP and/or Autoset - but with full data and (I forget words) exhale pressure relief. I wish to stay with Resmed.

Would someone kindly tell me the top two choices in S9 Resmed machines, both 'autoset' and non-autoset, so I can write them down?

This would at least upgrade me to a machine that can 'see' centrals, and is not starting to get flaky - and then once stable after surgery I will go thru the new titration studies and everything else Medicare will require from both the Doc and I.

Does the above make sense? The RT in charge thinks Medicaid won't do *anything* for me at this point until I have a new study done. So I am having to push - the sleep Doc is great however, and we go back all 15 odd years together - as one of his worst/best patients ever (ahem) a dubious honor to be sure.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Model names etc help please?
all resmed s9 machines *except* the escape (36001) and escape auto (36002) are full data and attempt to flag centrals.

the autoset (36005) is the single level auto, then there's the vpap auto (which I have) (36006) which is a bi-level with the ability to as a cpap, an autoset (set the pressure support to 0) or a full auto bilevel machine. (it also has a vpap S mode, so it can behave like the vpap S (36004) which is pretty much a standard bilevel unit.

the asv is the vpap adapt, (36037) there's an older version, the 36007 that doesn't have a full auto mode, they look identical, so check the REF numbers.

non auto models would be the elite, (36003), vpap s (36004), vpap ST (36038) I'm not sure whether the VPAP ST-A (36009) has an auto mode.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, since it must be *only* a CPAP, not bi-level, Shoot for the S9 Autoset, or failing that, the S9 Elite.

TY

The VPAP ST-A is the latest and greatest full-blown unit with ASV and Auto mode (what I was hoping to get without all the paper-shuffling.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
If you can get the doc to write the prescription for the top of the line S9 36037 VPAP Adapt, dispense as written.
You may get lucky and get the machine you need one time rather than trying to justify 2 machines a few months apart. The alternate might be to rent the best you can arrange until you get your ducks in a row.
I did go from doctor visit to sleep lab to new ASV machine in about 2 weeks last October. So it can be done if you are very squeaky.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-12-2014, 09:17 AM)Peter_C Wrote: Would someone kindly tell me the top two choices in S9 Resmed machines, both 'autoset' and non-autoset, so I can write them down?
[Image: s9-autoset-models.jpg]

There is S9 AutoSet and S9 Escape Auto
You want S9 AutoSet ... Escape from the Escape and its cousin the Escape Auto
There is nothing S9 (enhanced algorthim and leak detection) about the Escape Auto, not even like the older S8 AutoSet
Boggle the mind ... why ResMed
S9 Elite is data capable fixed pressure machine but why getting the Elite if you can get AutoSet which can be operated in two modes, one is fixed pressure mode and the other is auto-adjusting mode ... two machines in one ... perfect solution for all occasions

Post Reply Post Reply
It's not about what I want, it's about Medicare and their rules. My sleep doc is all for the AVS machine due to pain mgnt meds. I am wanting/hoping to get something prior to my surgery in 11 days - not looking good, as my last study was in '08 and wasn't on bi-level. The switch to bi-level was documented in his notes, etc - but that isn't good enough (I am told) for Medicare.

So new studies/testing will be planned in a few months, meanwhile my machine is starting to reboot itself, and other funny things, my backup in my 15yr old brick CPAP (works fine), just old.

Post Reply Post Reply
If you need something to get you by and be a great backup, then go for the Autoset. Call up Supplier#2 and see how fast they can send one out to you. As long as you have the prescription, they can send one out really fast.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2014, 03:56 PM)Peter_C Wrote: It's not about what I want, it's about Medicare and their rules.
Medicare have one billing code E0601 for all CPAP devices (ResMed S9 - Escape, Escape Auto, Elite, AutoSet)
and E0470 for Bilevel devices
Post Reply Post Reply
US Medicare is under the impression that sleep apnea is curable or that somehow we no longer need the CPAP. They would rather pay for a high priced sleep test than to pay for another machine, especially if the patient has been good and has kept their machine alive for a while. Instead of supporting the patient, they instantly believe them to be liars and call for a sleep test. In other words, a duct taped covered CPAP isn't proof of compliance which is all they care about.

In the long run, Medicare does good, but it is little things like this that drives us nuts.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-12-2014, 01:53 PM)Peter_C Wrote: The VPAP ST-A is the latest and greatest full-blown unit with ASV and Auto mode (what I was hoping to get without all the paper-shuffling.)

I've done a little more research, and the ST-A isn't the model with asv and auto... it's got CPAP / S / ST / T / PAC / iVAPS modes,

the only one with ASV and autoASV is the vpap adapt.

the only one with everything is the VPAP Tx.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  what model is this? airwaystent 8 385 02-05-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Psychotech
  ResMed AirSense 10 Respond Model and OSCAR upsman 6 2,098 10-06-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  DreamStation 1 Menu Names? Dolfan 7 577 07-16-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Dolfan
Question [Equipment] Buying Used ResMed "Floor Demo Model" - Limitations? tehsygi 11 1,084 05-29-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Resmed Curve 10 need model # help Fiveseven108 17 1,173 09-16-2022, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Greywolfe
  [Equipment] F&P SleepStyle (new model) Help with setup? BethT 5 990 05-24-2022, 09:46 PM
Last Post: BethT
  [Equipment] Other brands and model alternatives to Dreamstation autoSV DSX900T11C ggoodrich 2 1,074 08-24-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.