Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Clogged Nose & new to CPap
Clogged Nose & new to CPap
Hi

I have purchased a ResMed AirSense 10 for her with a climate controlled hose.  I use a N20 Nasal Mask. Pressure is set at minimum of 4, maximum of 9 with ramp time of 20 minutes

I am sleeping in 2-3 hour blocks (was getting more sleep before the machine) and feel more tired than I did before I started using the machine.

I am having trouble getting the humidity settings right. I wake up with either the mask off (probably taken off in my sleep) or with a horribly clogged nose.

I started out using the Auto setting (4, 24 degrees C). I have tried different manual settings, but I end up with either a clogged nose or rain out. 

We sleep with an over-head fan going as it is really hot here in Brisbane.  Before CPap, I used a humidifier as I often woke with bad headaches & dry nose which I put down to dryness in the air.  The humidifier seemed to alleviate this problem.

Anyone got any hints on how to make my CPap journey more bearable???

Thanks for your help in advance
Deb Miles
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Clogged Nose & new to CPap
Hi Deb, welcome to the forum. I'd like to have you post a daily details chart from Oscar. We can guess at your needs, but seeing the chart gives us the kind of details we need to be certain of our suggestions. A couple thing strike me as wrong with your settings. A ramp when you minimum pressure is 4 is redundant and unnecessary. A pressure of 4.0 is too low for most users. It makes the therapy feel air-starved and suffocating. If you feel like that, increase the pressure to at least 6.0. You don't mention what EPR setting you are using, but it can make therapy more comfortable by reducing pressure 1, 2 or 3 cm during exhale. Since the minimum pressure of the machine is 4.0, your starting pressure does not include EPR, even if it is set. The minimum pressure must be at least 4 plus the EPR setting.

Set the humidifier to where you are comfortable, and remember the heated tube need to be just a little warmer than the room temperature to prevent condensation. Nose stuffiness can be increased when there is pressure on the sinuses alongside the nose. Try breathing through your nose and press where the mask rests. If it causes increased resistance, consider a mask change to something like the Resmed Airfit P10 which does not contact the area beside your nose.

More after a chart. See the tutorials linked in my signature of Organize your Oscar Chart and Attaching Files.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleeprider

Sorry I haven't replied earlier, but your post came through while I was at work.  

I'll increase the Ramp to 6 because you're right I do feel starved for air.  I'm not sure what the EPR setting is or where to find it.  Your guidance would be much appreciated.

I'll have a go at pressing on the mask when I go to bed tonight.  

I have attached a daily chart for you to have a look at.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
EPR is in the same area of the provider settings as Ramp under Comfort Settings.

Now we can see the problem with your settings. You are using a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset For Her, but in CPAP mode at a fixed pressure of 9.0 with EPR 1. You must change the mode to either Autoset For Her or to Autoset in order to get auto CPAP and the greater comfort. After setting the mode properly, you should be able to set the minimum pressure to 6.0 and the maximum pressure to 10.0. Scroll down and verify Ramp Off and EPR On Full-Tim at 2. The only reason you need ramp now is that you are in fixed pressure CPAP mode. It seems to work fine, but you could be more comfortable. I want the maximum pressure at 10 just in case you need it to make up for reducing exhale pressure by 2.0. With these settings your pressure will be in autoset or autoset for her mode at 6/4 to 10/8 (inhale/exhale). Here is a quick tutorial on accessing the clinical settings: https://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsen...setup-info
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Deb. A couple of additional thoughts.

You might want to try a fleecy hose cover to help with rain-out. They make them with zippers, which is a help when you put the cover on or take it off.

You might be able to speed up your adaptation to the new experience by setting up your machine outside your bedroom during the day or evening and using it while you do something mildly diverting, like watching TV or reading.

The next time you post a chart, could you stack your graphs like this:

Events
Flow rate
Pressure
Leaks
Flow limitations
Snores.

You can fit them all into a single screenshot by grabbing the horizontal gray bars that separate them in pushing them up a little to scrunch the graphs.

By the way, you have a tip-top machine there -- congrats!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,811 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 196 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 152 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,977 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 646 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 463 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.