Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] New to CPAP
New to CPAP
Hey guys:

Could you help me understand what this means?  I'm new to apnea/cpap treatment.  Showing no obstructive?  

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP
Hi falcar,
Looking for the pressure and leak rate graphs.  I see some Flow Limitation which could be driving your pressure up.  
Also some Hypopnea. Using EPR can help with FL and Hypopnea, but can also raise clear airways.
Try setting EPR to 2 and see if that helps.

There is also some leaking going on and from the graph, we would be able to tell if you are mouth breathing or your mask isn't fitted properly.

As far as Obstructives, there are none flagged on your graph.

To set up your OSCAR charts, go to View > Reset Graphs > Standard. That should arrange them in the proper order, and give us what we need to see.  Often times, if we need to see other graphs, we'll ask.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! I'll give EPR a try and change the view settings in oscar
Post Reply Post Reply
You do have obstructive events, they are just not large enough to be classified as obstructive. See my signature at the bottom of the post. It gives the classification of apnea (obstructive apnea)
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
The EPR of 2 setting seems to have helped:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Something I'd consider is turning Ramp off. With your EPR at 2, you'll be starting just 1 click above where Ramp held you, a 5 vs 4. Given that you've got a few CA now, it may be helpful there also with turning Ramp off.

A second separate action if these CA go higher and/or become disruptive, is to drop EPR to 1 for a week or so to help stabilize your CO2 flushing.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What is a CA?
Post Reply Post Reply
CA stands for Clear Airway.  This is when your airway is not obstructed and your brain doesn'r send the signal for you to breathe.

Here are the Wiki listings for Definitions and Acronyms:
Definitions:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Definitions

Acronyms:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Acronyms

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes correct, CA is clear airway to your PAP, but it's really Central Apnea event to the person that has this happening. Either way CA is different than plain old Obstructive events. In Obstructive, there's an airway collapse or restriction, while Central events are a too low CO2, carbon dioxide levels in the blood so there's no signal to breathe.

PS you're likely getting CA flags due to the higher breath efficiency and flushing CO2 from EPR. This is typical for most, except one like me that has pre-existing CA. In your case these CA diminish over a short space of time.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah! Thanks guys.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.