Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Muck inside my CPAP full face Mask, how do I clean it
Muck inside my CPAP full face Mask, how do I clean it
Help    Hi all,
Every CPAP mask I have used, over time a black substance forms where the cushion seals to the mask body.
The mask is made by F&P it's a Vitera mask.

I wash the mask every morning after use with out fail using Cetaphil baby Shampoo, rinse well, then I place it outside on a towel to dry.
But, after several months this black muck returns but it is only on the seal and looks grotty.

I have tried to clean it out by opening the seal joint which is very difficult, I don't want to break anything, if it comes apart, is it difficult to put back together. 
So has anyone else come across this problem, if so, how did you fix it?
I am open for suggestions Dont-know .

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Muck inside my CPAP full face Mask, how do I clean it
I've never experienced your problem. I would suggest soaking your mask in a 4% Hydrogen Peroxide solution. This is the normal strength version that you buy over-the-counter wherever you buy drugs and sundries. I would be somewhat hesitant of using a chlorine based solution since I don't know how it would react to other parts of the mask.

Please keep us posted. I'm sure you can't be the only one with this problem.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too, have never seen or experienced something like that. I'm not familiar with the mask you are using, but if it's designed to come apart, I'd sure do it. 

I use a ResMed AirFit F20 or F30. Both masks are designed to separate from it's cushion. The F20 is a piece of cake. The F30 was more of a challenge. But, I persisted and finally got the hang of it. 

I use Clorox wet wipes on my mask and cushion. It does a great job and does not harm the plastic or the silicone. I use a wet wipe about every 3rd night or so. I give my face mask assembly a good soaking / scrubbing in HOT water and dawn dish soap once a week or so. 

I'm about 22 months into my SA Therapy. No issues at all so far with any bacteria, slime, crud, or junk in or on my face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
For clarification, Clorox 
wipes do not contain chlorine compounds. I agree with Crimson nape. Chlorine will probably damage the mask. Resmed cautions against the use of chlorine based cleaners.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I believe that peroxide should do a good job. Any oxidizing agent that won't be toxic or harmful to the materials it contacts would be suitable. I happen to favour using the white powder that you can purchase for a couple of dollars from U-Brew-It wine and beer stores meant for sterilizing implements and vessels. They are either sodium or potassium metabisulfites. A teaspoon dissolved in a liter of water goes a long way, either soaked into tissues or rags, or as a drench.

Bleach is a sodium hypochlorite solution. It does contain chlorine, but not unbound, or free. 95+% of Chlorox will break down to brine over time if used as directed, according to information published by Chlorox. I make no claims about their wipes as I don't use them and am not familiar with that product.
Post Reply Post Reply
It was my Respiratory Therapist that told me about the Clorox wet wipes. He said that they would be fine and not harm my CPAP equipment. 

I prefer the lemon scented ones. The scent isn't over-bearing and is quite pleasant. It seems to dissipate completely within 30 min. or so. 

The silicone cushion was the only material I had any real concerns about using the wet wipes on. I can say with complete confidence the wipes are fine on it.
Post Reply Post Reply
To Crimson Nape, Big Guy, Melman, Mesenteri.
Thank you for all your suggestions on how to tackle my mask problem, I appreceate your efforts. Thanks

I will look for the Hydrogen Peroxide, Clorox Wet Wipes and the White Powder and see how I go.
This has to wait as I have an unbreakable appointment, after that then I will go looking for grotty mask fixes.

Big Guy, so I can use HOT water once a week, good I will try that too.
When I wash the mask every morning I do this in warm water using the Cetaphil, this gets rid of the face oil which accumulates overnight on my mask.
Bedding gets changed every week .... so I don't know how or where these black marks come from.
I change the CPAP filter too..... when I see it needs it.

I will also try and see about ripping away the mask cushion, this will enable me to deep clean it.
Did you have any problems with air leaks when you put it back together?

Jim

PS, as I live on the oppersate side of the world, if my replies are late in arriving, it is because I am sleeping on the job while you are working Coffee
It's time for breakfast!
Post Reply Post Reply
I also prefer hydrogen peroxide for disinfecting and cleaning. The solution becomes effervescent when in contact with organic material which offers both a physical cleaning and oxidation. Routine use should avoid future buildup. You will rinse but the peroxide breaks down to harmless water and oxygen and cannot harm your mask.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleeprider and thanks for your input. Smile

It beginning to look like I need to get the Peroxide, I will try Bunnings just around the corner, then at my local chemist.
That's the plan.

This forum has a lot of help, very willing and good people in here, glad I joined it.

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
Both of my masks seal fine when taken apart and then put back together. Obviously, when taken apart, they are so much easier to clean and disinfect.

When I mentioned the HOT water, I meant to say that my complete face mask, to include the headgear (straps) go into the sink as well. They can get pretty grungy if not washed every now & then. They come out looking and smelling like new. The hot water also restores the tension in them.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Mask recommendation for a sensitive side-sleeper who might have an unusual face shape PersonInNY 6 173 3 hours ago
Last Post: PersonInNY
  Diagnosed with UARS just got CPAP with mask need help setting it up nicchamilton 1 37 3 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 16 337 04-19-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: jake79
  Do you take out the Tube Outlet Connector in the Airsense 11 to clean? dharma2255 7 214 04-16-2024, 10:03 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 181 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  New to CPAP and struggling with my mask. jmswjunk4 2 119 04-11-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 153 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.