Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] My S9 E quit again, but restarted--a question about its use
My S9 E quit again, but restarted--a question about its use
My ResMed S9 E quit when I was waking up

I have Smart Start set on.
When I put my mask on, and exhale the machine starts automatically.

Question
Will the machine stop automatically too if I stop breathing?

DaveL
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My S9 E quit again, but restarted--a question about its use
I detected there was no airflow from the exhilation port on my mask.

Reached over, and pushed the ON button on the S9E

I got up; read the screen on the S9E in time to see, "Reading SD Card", as the machine was starting up.

Should I turn "Smart Start" to OFF, and revert to turning my machine on automatically?
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
If it was reading SD card I would guess it lost power not just turned its self off make sure the power lead is plugged in correctly
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I'll check it. I hadn't thought of that.
I have the power brick plugged into a surge protector, plugged into the receptacle in the wall.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
Follow up

First I checked all the electrical connections. All were fine. Receptacle. Surge Suppressor. Power into brick. Power from brick to machine. All were fine.
Next, I turned off smart start. So now I have to turn the machine on, and off.

My watch says that my resting heart rate is very low.

I've run my cpap S9E this way for about 5 days now, and it hasn't shut off on my.

22,100 hours on it and counting.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
At 22,000 hours I’m sure you’ve been told to think about having to replace your beloved S9 Elite some day.

It would be wise to look for a replacement to have on hand. The S9 is a great machine, I’ve had both an Elite and Autoset. The Autoset can be setup just like an Elite.

If you like the S9, you can probably find a really good one pretty cheap. Put it in the closet and wait for your old warhorse to give up the ghost.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks John

Decision time, I know.
I have many fears and concerns about treatment, sleep docs and such...
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2020, 11:33 AM)DaveL Wrote: Thanks John

Decision time, I know.
I have many fears and concerns about treatment, sleep docs and such...

It doesn’t have to be that way.  If you have an Elite, you have data.  You can always check the numbers.  And if you feel good, the easiest way is to have your PCP give you a prescription.

For a straight CPAP, or even an APAP, you might not need a new sleep study.  Miseducated might accept an older study.

If you don’t want to use Medicare, then you can buy another S9 online.  Or, find one on Craigslist and avoid all of it completely.

Between 2001 and 2019 I used a brick and mortar DME for a year, 2011.  Before and after, it was online or eBay.  It is pretty much your choice.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi~things are different here in Ontario Canada.

My quest now is to get an autopap--the ResMed for her version, because it's registered as a cpap! I need a prescription if I buy through a DME. I have a sleep doc I saw for the first time about a year and a half ago.

My treatment has improved so much participating here. Giving credit to the sleep doc, he considered sleep quality during my wrap-up after my first sleep study in over 10 years.
I bought my ResMed S9E from a friend who abandoned cpap therapy. So I've bought used before. At that time I knew nothing about equipment. I found out it had an SD card and started learning from there! I had a "brick" before. It counted time turned on. That was all. It showed compliance!

Participating here, I've adjusted pressure. My AHI is much better! I'm finally feeling awake and alive. I didn't for the first 25 years of compliance.

My sleep doc will sell me a cpap. He won't sell me an autopap. That's what I want. He doesn't want to deal with a DME. I don't have a prescription for a new machine yet.

Guess it's time for an appointment. Probably take 2-3 months....
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
>>>My sleep doc will sell me a cpap. He won't sell me an autopap. That's what I want. He doesn't want to deal with a DME. I don't have a prescription for a new machine yet. 

Your doc should not be selling you his choice of equipment. PERIOD. FULL STOP.

The Ontario ADP site is here: https://www.ontario.ca/page/respiratory-...d-supplies

From that page:
Step 1 – Get examined ...

See a doctor at a sleep clinic registered with the ADP if you need a:
  • continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) system

• auto-titrating positive airway pressure (APAP) system

• bi-level positive airway pressure (BPAP) system
We can help you find a registered sleep clinic. Email us for a list of clinics near you. mailto:adp@ontario.ca

Step 2 – Find a business that sells respiratory equipment and supplies

There is a chart there of all the suppliers in Ontario
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV, N20, EERS?, How I quit mouth tape. Rich66 0 506 10-01-2023, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Rich66
  [Symptoms] Quit Nicotine and AHI and CA are worse ApneaND 0 281 09-23-2023, 12:39 PM
Last Post: ApneaND
  feeling like i should not have quit cpap threatment mugen4u 3 618 05-10-2023, 10:15 AM
Last Post: mugen4u
  Anyone quit CPAP because they felt worse? AlaskanJaeger 21 2,283 08-25-2022, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Wireless Quit on AirSense 10 LanceC 28 12,748 04-20-2022, 10:32 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  PRS1 Modem Quit Sending Daily Data to Dream Mapper Bubster 2 767 01-13-2022, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New CPAP User ready to quit - Central Apnea, ASV tntfrahm 98 9,434 01-18-2020, 09:28 PM
Last Post: Geer1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.