Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] My Sinus Probs Part 2 humidifier help needed
My Sinus Probs Part 2 humidifier help needed
Ok, still having major sinus problems from last time...probably 6-7 weeks now. Anti-biotics don't help, sinus tablets not helping. Had brain scan and I still have a brain! Tho it did show a thick membrane around the sinus walls. Been more diligent in my cleaning, but have just realised something that I am unsure of. I live on the Gold Coast, in Australia, and it is ALWAYS humid here. When I first got my machine, I was told to leave it on auto and that's it, but now I am unsure about how the humidifier works.....should I be using a humidifier in a humid climate? Sorry for such a dumb question but my supplier is of no help whatsoever so I'm going alone on this.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My Sinus Probs Part 2 humidifier help needed
maybe a referral to ENT to rule out any nasal issues
humidity something you have to tweak to find whats works best for you
everyone is different. some need less or more humidity and some none
I need more humidity all year around regardless of the weather otherwise my nose get stuffed up
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi weeble,
You could turn your humidifier completely off since you live in a humid climate or you could turn it way way down and see how you do with that.
I hope this helps, keep us posted.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Zonk, yeah I will be going to an ENT but not just yet as they are all away on holidays

Trish6Hundred - I originally had it on auto, then lowered it manually but still had problems. So if I turn it off completely - I would I still need to use the water chamber or not?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2012, 08:17 PM)weeble Wrote: Ok, still having major sinus problems from last time...
what are the sinus problems

Post Reply Post Reply
If you turn your humidifier off completely, I wouldn't think you would necessarily need to use the water chamber, you could probably even disconnectit but hang in there for other suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2012, 09:06 PM)zonk Wrote:
(12-18-2012, 08:17 PM)weeble Wrote: Ok, still having major sinus problems from last time...
what are the sinus problems

Major headaches, pain around the eyes...Because I have had constant headaches for 2 months, I had the brain scan. However, I've had sinus problems ever since I started therapy on and off - every couple of months. I do believe therapy and sinus probs are related with me. Next step ENT for sure
Post Reply Post Reply
Sinus problems can be very finicky to diagnose. The humidifier is designed by the manufacturer to be a comfort feature. Some like a hot muggy feel and others like cool breezes. I've heard of some that will even put crushed ice cubes in the water tank at bedtime. Its what make you comfortable without iritating your sinus.

I live in Florida and we also have very high humidity year around. Our air conditioners do, however, remove a lot of the moisture when run. I place/keep water in the tank at the full level and do not turn on the heat. This is called pass-over humidification. Works for me, because any type of increased speed of air will have a drying effect, so I want some moisture. Don't we blow on nails to dry, ointments on sores to dry??

And yes, if you care to, you can even remove the water tank. No harm.

However, I do see a visit to your ENT in the future if problems continue.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks JudgeMental, very informative. I have just gotten off the phone to resmed who assured me that I can just use the slim line hose no problems. So will try that for a couple of weeks and see how I go. If that fails, I will try what you suggest.

Will no doubt post again with results....

Thanks everyone
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2012, 09:42 PM)weeble Wrote: Thanks JudgeMental, very informative. I have just gotten off the phone to resmed who assured me that I can just use the slim line hose no problems. So will try that for a couple of weeks and see how I go. If that fails, I will try what you suggest.

Will no doubt post again with results....

Thanks everyone

Hi Weeble,

From someone that has suffered with allergy problems my entire life and is also hot-natured, I've never liked really humid air but, after trying my humidifier at all different levels I've found that 5.5 works the best for me and the air is really humid.

My sinuses have never been so clear in my entire life until I started running the humidifier at a high level.

I realize that everyone is different as well as the climate you live in but, if you're using the A/C or heat in your house then either one of them will act as a de-humidifier.

I've finally gotten used to the higher level of humidity and will keep it this way because my sinuses are finally working normally for the first time ever, I have gone for days without blowing my nose whereas before I would be blowing it all day trying to get rid of excess mucus that was stuck inside my head.

Between the S9's excellent humidifier and the ClimateLine hose (currently set to manual mode at 78 degrees F) I've finally found sinus nirvana, something I never thought possible before. Grin

Good luck!

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 187 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,518 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 144 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Eagerly seeking ancient CPAP part ! Visualist 3 301 03-12-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Visualist
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 97 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Help needed SteveC 23 1,062 03-02-2024, 05:16 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 29 9,893 02-26-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.