Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] My mask sucks! please help
Angry 
My mask sucks! please help
Is there anyone who can tell me about a mask that actually fits? I have cheeks on my face and I sleep on my side. so naturally the pillow pushes my cheek into the mask and makes it leak. what's worse is that there's a vent on the hose that blows all over my face. Who was the idiot that designed this crap??? Did they not actually test their product before putting it out there? FACT: Everyone's face is different. Why are they not automatically custom fitting to each persons face???
<sarcasm> Cleaver Good-work</sarcasm>

One size fits none has never worked for me. I'm always the odd sizes when it comes to pants never the even sizes (aka the one's the actually make). I'm always the 4e wide shoes which are impossible to find in stores. so why should I expect my face to be any different. I have bruises on the bridge of my nose!!! Perturbed I'm not a happy camper!! Hate-cpap Cant-sleep-well Thumbs-down-1 Crying-into-tissue

Please help!

PS why are full face masks only sitting on top of the face instead of including the open mouth for mouth breathers??? you can't open your mouth with a "full" face mask. why not make it so people can actually sleep with their mouth open and the mask will accomodate that??? seems damn simple to me!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My mask sucks! please help
Not sure what masks you've tried, but several are configured to allow the jaw to drop, and hybrid masks are particularly good at providing a seal without using the cheeks and bridge of the nose. Also, there are specialty CPAP pillows with alternative fills and shapes that can help FFM users sleep on their side without putting pressure on the mask. Have you looked at any of the alternative mask styles or pillows?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-08-2016, 01:47 PM)goldenvocals369 Wrote: PS why are full face masks only sitting on top of the face instead of including the open mouth for mouth breathers??? you can't open your mouth with a "full" face mask. why not make it so people can actually sleep with their mouth open and the mask will accomodate that??? seems damn simple to me!

No matter what type of mask you use, you will have to try to overcome mouth breathing. No mask will accomadate mouth breathing, nor will your machine. If you have a lot of leaks from the mask itself or from mouth breathing, your AHI readings may not be accurate.

Try a chin strap and see if that helps.

You can also try the "tongue to roof of mouth trick." This takes practice and commitment, but will work for most.

Place the tip of your tongue right behind your front teeth, and suck upwards so that tongue is resting at the roof of mouth. This will create a seal at the back of your throat and air will not escape. Like I said, it takes practice, but becomes natural after awhile.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually a Fitlife does accomodate mouth breathing and results will be accurate with it.
Its designed to be fitted and put on with the mouth slightly open per instructions.
You can close your mouth or open it easily though.
Its a very commfortable mask. Large but comfortable.
My go to masks are ESON, Simplus, and Fitlife.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi goldenvocals369,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I’m sorry you are having such a rough time finding a mask, it’s the hardest part of this therapy. Some people have to try quite a few masks ‘till they find one that works for them, it looks like you’ll have to do that, too; don't be shy about asking to try as many masks as you need, ‘till you find the one that works for you.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy and finding a mask.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-08-2016, 06:54 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: Actually a Fitlife does accomodate mouth breathing and results will be accurate with it.
Its designed to be fitted and put on with the mouth slightly open per instructions.
You can close your mouth or open it easily though.
Its a very commfortable mask. Large but comfortable.
My go to masks are ESON, Simplus, and Fitlife.

I agree and if that darned mask had come in a medium size, it would have been perfect.

Currently, the Simplus is my backup mask and am able to keep my mouth slightly open so this is another mask that golden vocals might want to try if this hasn't been done already.

Post Reply Post Reply
goldenvocals369, if you would fill out your profile, listing the exact name and model of your machine and mask, plus settings, it will be a lot easier for members to answer your questions. There's a tremendous amount of experienced people on this forum who are happy to help--most of us have been through the first "birth pains," some worse than others.
Post Reply Post Reply
You may like the RespCARE Hybrid FFM. It's a combination mouth seal/nose pillow mask. Has a much smaller mouth seal area. Also, has a chin support so no chin strap needed. Kit comes with all three sizes. Good luck finding what works for you.
Cheers,
otrpu
Love your family, treat your friend(s) well, and don't waste your time. Everything else is just so much BS. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for all the suggestions.

FitLife looks like it would blow in my eyes because it covers the whole face. I'm looking for something that's preferably 3d printed that fits my face "like a glove" so to speak. I don't like nasal only applications because I have to keep my mouth shut. Thanks for the suggestion, but chin straps? no way! not going to go there. I believe in design fitting the customer not the other way around. I think there could be a mask that would allow for completely slack jawed mouth opening like eating a big burger. :-O one that goes down to the neck allowing enough space for the chin and jaw to completely yawn open. That's what mouth breathers need without blowing in one's eyes. I wish there was a scuba like piece for the mouth that would adjust as your mouth opens and closes that would be the best. or a mouthpiece that would seal your mouth in an open position maybe with a mild adhesive? I dunno I'm just spitballing because I have no idea what is even available.

The idea about pillows is a bit troublesome to me, this means I'd have to travel with special pillows. or have to buy a bunch of sets and send them to where i travel ahead of time... yeah this doesn't sound too appealing.

There has to be a solution that actually works without doubling the amount of crap i have to carry when traveling. speaking of traveling how do I use a CPAP on an airplane? is there a battery pack I can use? Is there a Cigarette adapter for cars? Does it depend on my specific CPAP machine?

After watching a review on youtube, I want to try the RespCARE Hybrid FFM. It seems like side sleeping and belly sleeping while mouth open with sleep apnea is a real bear. I like to sleep with my left or right eye on my pillow with a bit of pressure. it's comfortable so i go with it. (I guess i'm just weird.) but i simply can't do that with a CPAP mask. I might have to go to hobby lobby to make my own special pillow to get the comfort I need. but I really don't like the idea of a special pillow. Sad

I'm too picky. and to make matters worse I've got champagne taste on a water budget. (note water = free)
Post Reply Post Reply
Nothing will work like nothing is there. Try nose breathing with scuba gear, no joy. If you want to scuba dive you have to deal with the restrictions that make it functional. The same goes for CPAP masks. There are dozens, if not hundreds of them on the market and none are perfect: never leak on any face (or even one) no matter the position and how you chose to breathe.

Mouth breathing only matters if it leaks pressure. The throat does not care if the pressure enters through the nose or mouth as long as the throat gets pressurized.

Wide open like eating a burger? Really? Discover some reasonable expectations and make them work. Adapt and overcome, or start a company that makes 3D printed masks for those that can afford custom (I doubt that insurance will pay for them any time soon) and except in extreme cases I really doubt that they would seal any better with all the movement that people do while sleeping.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry Wellue Checkme Sucks & CTD Brewskie 3 447 01-18-2024, 07:39 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,207 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Retesting ... Sucks. :( dosco 5 1,619 04-20-2022, 12:41 PM
Last Post: Startup2016
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,748 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  After Four Failed Machines it is Clear - RESMED SUCKS Akhenaten33 24 3,891 10-10-2021, 09:06 AM
Last Post: FLcracker
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,093 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.