Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: resmed quattro
Humidifier: resmed
CPAP Pressure: 4 - 15
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
Nasal Mask and pressure
I am trying a nasal pillow mask. If I start mouth breathing will it show up as a leak? Thanks Diane
01-20-2014 08:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Nasal Mask and pressure
(01-20-2014 08:29 AM)Diane Bart Wrote:  I am trying a nasal pillow mask. If I start mouth breathing will it show up as a leak? Thanks Diane

most likely. I am just guessing here but I would think that a part of that would depend on how long you are mouth breathing (or that your mouth is open); if it isn't but a quick sec or there is some small leaking from the corner of your mouth and isn't long, it may not show up as a leak.

I know I was using the blower to dry my hose and it took a little while before the high leak alarm went off. I am sure others will have more info for you.
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2014 08:34 AM by me50.)
01-20-2014 08:32 AM
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

Sex: Male

Whether or not is shows as a leak, the real problem will be air rushing out your mouth instead of into your lungs. If you think an open mouth is going to be a problem, buy a chin strap to keep your mouth closed.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-20-2014 08:47 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Hi Diane,
If you think you are going to breathe from your mouth, you could try a chinstrap to see if that helps you.
Good luck to you.

trish6hundred
01-20-2014 10:17 AM
Diane Bart Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed s9 autoset
Mask Make & Model: resmed quattro
Humidifier: resmed
CPAP Pressure: 4 - 15

Other Comments:

Tried a chin strap it was a no go. Using the nasal mask I woke with dry mouth. Changed to ffm same dry mouth even with wet mask in the morning. Will my AHI reading be correct with nasal mask if I open my mouth? I have no way of knowing how long mouth is open.
01-20-2014 11:22 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(01-20-2014 08:29 AM)Diane Bart Wrote:  I am trying a nasal pillow mask. If I start mouth breathing will it show up as a leak?

It might be helpful to distinguish between mouth-breathing and mouth-leaking. Mouth-breathing can occur when your nose is plugged up with congestion. If this happens while wearing a nasal mask the flow rate will drop to essentially zero because no air is moving through the CPAP hose. That's not going to show up as a leak.

On the other hand, mouth-leaking is something that occurs when you're wearing a nasal mask, your mouth drops open, and the pressurized CPAP air comes hissing out of your mouth. This will show up as a leak because lots of air will be flowing through the CPAP hose.

The CPAP machine has two sensors that it uses to draw all of its conclusions: a flow rate meter and a pressure sensor. When the flow rate meter is spinning it means air is traveling through the CPAP hose. The rate at which it spins is used to determine the flow rate, and when the flow rate is too high it concludes that you have a leak.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-20-2014 12:23 PM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(01-20-2014 11:22 AM)Diane Bart Wrote:  Tried a chin strap it was a no go. Using the nasal mask I woke with dry mouth. Changed to ffm same dry mouth even with wet mask in the morning. Will my AHI reading be correct with nasal mask if I open my mouth? I have no way of knowing how long mouth is open.

I'm sorry you're having this problem. Some people have recommended a product called biotene mouth wash to help with the dry mouth. Most of these issues that we experience with CPAP therapy are temporary, and they go away as our bodies adjust to the therapy.

To answer your question, the CPAP machine can't really determine the AHI accurately when the leak rate is too high. It doesn't matter though, because if the leak rate is too high the CPAP can't maintain the pressure splint and your airway collapses as if the CPAP machine isn't even there.

Getting your leak rate under control is first and foremost when it comes to CPAP therapy. If your leak rate is not under control, then nothing else matters.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-20-2014 12:30 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(01-20-2014 11:22 AM)Diane Bart Wrote:  Tried a chin strap it was a no go. Using the nasal mask I woke with dry mouth. Changed to ffm same dry mouth even with wet mask in the morning.
Dry mouth is from mouth breathing, You,ll experience dry mouth somewhat using full face mask. what do you mean "even with wet mask" ... rainout or some moisture from your breath

Leak number include mask leak and mouth leak. The number you see on the screen is the 95th percentile which means leak was at or below this number for 95% of the time using the machine so you need to check the detailed data for a better picture of whats gong on. Good mask fit indicate 70th percentile leak was less than 24 L/m but any leak small or large if interfere with your sleep must be addressed
01-20-2014 05:14 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Moisture in My Wisp nasal mask Genetini 4 123 Yesterday 06:28 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Sleep Study: Nasal vs. Full Mask harmon k 2 334 11-20-2016 06:38 PM
Last Post: harmon k
  Which disturbs sleep most? High Pressure or Changing Pressure Rcgop 7 1,283 11-10-2016 07:37 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
Question AHI Higher AFter Switch from Nasal Pillows to Full Mask Sleepypokey 8 514 10-26-2016 03:07 PM
Last Post: Kadenz
  Looking for Recommendations on Lightweight *Nasal* Mask (no pillows) Dreams of Green 16 757 10-24-2016 05:20 PM
Last Post: TheDuke
  Any tips for fitting a ResMed P10 nasal pillow mask? Spy Car 40 2,202 10-15-2016 06:11 AM
Last Post: rwelliot
Question Nasal Pillows and Mask Leak resaebiunne 19 1,072 09-12-2016 11:41 AM
Last Post: vcottom