Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Nasal Pillows - how to make them work?
RE: Nasal Pillows - how to make them work?
(10-30-2013, 09:05 PM)djjwilly Wrote: It sure is aggravating to read in more than once place here that patients aren't being appraised of all the available sizes of pillows for the swift fx.

There is a conflict between regulations that force DME's to provide a certain level of service and the free enterprise system that makes it profitable for them to do so. I don't know how to balance that conflict for maximum patient benefit, but this is a good place to start. Provide information that empowers patients to seek and demand a higher level of service.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2013, 01:39 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Also, use a salve to reduce that pain while your nose toughens up. Lanisoh is marketed as a salve for nursing mothers, and it works as well or better than anything else I've tried. After a few months I found I no longer needed any salve.

Lanisnoh makes a bunch of baby related items.

You want Lanisnoh HPA lanolin. If you just go looking for "Lanisnoh," you may end up with diaper rash cream or maybe something else.

I wouldn't use neosporin. Continuous use of antibiotics promotes the growth of antibiotic resistant bacteria, including MRSA. This applies to other usage, not just on CPAP. Use it when you need it, but if you're putting it on every week, or every few days, you may be encouraging problems for yourself.

Neosporin also has petroleum jelly in it, and that may damage mask parts over time.

Aquaphor is somewhat like neosporin without antibiotics, but it has petroleum jelly in it, too.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Swift FX nasal pillows and every night before I put it on I put a little aloe gel around my nostrils. Seems to help even if it dries before I put on the mask. I think a major problem is a lot of people make their masks too tight. I loosen my strops until all they do is lightly put the pillows in contact with my nostrils. When I turn on the machine the pillows inflate and seal. I have very little problem with leaks.
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't get any irritation from the pillows. I do wash them often and that keeps skin oil to a minimum. There's something about the silicon being clean that really helps keep them in place. I'm still struggling with keeping the mask on more than four hours. I think that's a physical impossibility for me. I see the doctor this week. I hope I can get out of there without any problems. This technology is so primitive. I'm still shocked by the fact that I waited almost two hours to see this nurse practitioner for one of my first visits. That's longer than any doctor I've seen in almost twenty years of being disabled. I can't seem to believe what she says about being so caring, not if she does stuff like keeping a person in an inner room without one magazine to read for all that time. I almost left. DJ
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2013, 04:09 PM)robysue Wrote: .....
First, you don't over tighten the straps. I keep the straps on my FX ridiculously loose---so loose in fact that without the machine turned on, my mask is likely to fall off my face. But once my machine is turned on, the pillows fully inflate and rest against my nostrils very firmly but gently....

That is how I run my Pilairo as well. It floats lightly against the strap and is very comfortable - even when lying on my side.

I notice the F&P have a new style headgear for the Pilairo - from the pictures it looks a bit like the Swift plastic headgear.

Post Reply Post Reply
The last few nights I've gone back to the nose pillows, and I am beginning to like using them. Nice and light...

Update on the 'Wisp' - I still really like it, but the excess air is somehow bouncing up and onto my face (I dislike air blowing on me intensely). But the seal is amazingly wonderful.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
You need to figure out where the air blowing on your face is coming from. If it's from the exhale vent, that's one thing; if not from the vent, you have a major leak. Air blowing on your face can dry out your eyes, leading to eye problems.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2013, 09:36 AM)PollCat Wrote: You need to figure out where the air blowing on your face is coming from. If it's from the exhale vent, that's one thing; if not from the vent, you have a major leak. Air blowing on your face can dry out your eyes, leading to eye problems.

On the Wisp, it's from the vent Sad

And, I have already had my left eye-lid removed and re-attached (long story about sleeping in a moving truck for years) - but yes, air in the eyes is not fun!
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
I told my husband I am going to use plumbers putty around the nasal pillow to stop any leaks Dielaughing He actually said, mmmmmm, that might work. I could also try gum??????? LOL
Post Reply Post Reply

Hi Marnid2014, I know you were just kiding, but, I think plumbers putty has patrolium in it, you might not want to do that as patrolium can break down your mask over time, just a thought.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 83 4 minutes ago
Last Post: johnbrain
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,763 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 541 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 317 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Not sure what to make of my OSCAR data Machinist 3 213 03-10-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Machinist
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 396 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.