Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Nasal issues with Mask.....
Nasal issues with Mask.....
I was just wondering if anyone has had nasal issues with a full face mask. I just had a nasal CT scan done because I've been having issues & it turns out one of my upper nasal cavities is closed significantly compared to the other side which I believe is a result of having to wear my mask so tight. I'm going to have a balloon sinuplasty(along with a partial septoplasty which I don't think has anything to do with the mask) to open it up but I'm concerned that it will just happen again with having to wear the mask so tight. I try to keep it as loose as possible but any looser than I have it now & I just get these loud air leaks when it kick's into high gear after I fall asleep. I originally started a year ago with a nasal mask that didn't work, then got a large face mask which seemed to be too large based on the template that I got with the equipment. I have been using a medium face mask for about 9 months now but as I said, I believe this is causing this other issue with the closed sinus cavity. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal issues with Mask.....
Was it a nasal mask you had? [the type that covers the whole nose]

Or was it the nasal pillow/cushion kind? [the one that fits in to your nostrils]

If you are having trouble with the full face, and tried different sizes of the nose mask.. then you may want to try the nasal pillow type of mask, it puts no external pressure anywhere on your nose other than the base of the nostrils.

Personally I can't use them as my nasal lining gets irritated badly by the direct air flow blowing on it.

I use the Fisher & Paykel Eson nose mask, though I did have to go from a medium down to a small to overcome the mark and pain it caused where it sat between my eyes at the top of the bridge of my nose.

I suffer nose blockages from time to time for other reasons, but manage most of the time to continue using my mask for 6 to 8 hours per night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
MDHilz,

You should not have to wear your mask so tight that it puts significant pressure on your nose in any way.

How old is the cushion for your mask?

Is the cushion an air cushion or a gel cushion?

You might want to try a mask liner to see if that allows you to adjust the headgear more loosely.

And finally, you should review the fitting instructions for your mask carefully. Also use google to find some on-line videos that illustrate how to fit your mask each night.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 54 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 187 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 99 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 109 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 321 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 157 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.