Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Nasal pillows too high? Mask too short?
Nasal pillows too high? Mask too short?
As a new CPAP user, I bought two sets of Phillips DreamWear face masks to try. Both masks are medium size, but one set has nasal cushions and the other has nasal pillows.

Supposedly, the nose pieces are interchangeable in the same face mask. However, the cushion has a depression for the nose, while the pillows have added height. The extra height of the pillows pushes my nostrils up into my cheeks, and the air flow seems blocked, maybe by compression of the pillows. It seems to me that I need a large size face mask to use with the nasal pillows. I tried moving the top of the gear forward on my head to provide more length, and that helped, but it goes against the manufacturer’s instructions.

Because of multiple chemical sensitivities, I have to let the face mask parts out-gas for over a month before I can use them, so the 30-day return policy is of no help. I’d appreciate some advice before I order a large size mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal pillows too high? Mask too short?
I’m not quite sure what’s happening here. The nasal cushion cradles your nose and the pillows sit on and slightly in your nostrils. I wear pillows every night and I can’t visualize them pushing your nostrils into your cheeks.

Maybe a bit more detail and either myself or someone else can help
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
My brother, who uses pillows of a different make, says that with the air flow off, the edge of the pillows should gently touch the nostrils but not push at them. I feel and see an upward push on the nostrils. My analysis is that I need a longer/larger face mask to make more room for the pillows. But I wonder why this is not a known issue that the manufacturer would have addressed, so as to advise "Go one size up on the mask if you use pillows."
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2019, 03:35 PM)PaulaBunyan Wrote: My brother, who uses pillows of a different make, says that with the air flow off, the edge of the pillows should gently touch the nostrils but not push at them. I feel and see an upward push on the nostrils. My analysis is that I need a longer/larger face mask to make more room for the pillows. But I wonder why this is not a known issue that the manufacturer would have addressed, so as to advise "Go one size up on the mask if you use pillows."

Make sure your strap is not tight, if the pillows are being pushed into your nose it sounds like you have the mask too tight
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,763 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 125 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 696 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 106 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 118 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,422 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.