Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Nasty Smell?!
Nasty Smell?!
Hey guys! I'm new here, and have a pretty gross question. We just moved (thank God), but my old townhouse had roaches really bad, from the neighbors next to us. The roaches got all in my machine, and now it has a nasty smell to it. I've taken apart the mask, hose, humidifier, cleaned out the filter area, everything I could get to. But the smell is still in the machine. I'm too embarrassed to tell the place I got the machine from, so I'm coming here for advice on what to do. Please help?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasty Smell?!
Are you or your insurance "renting" (paying for) the machine? If so, take it to the DME and have them replace it or open it up and clean it. Or replace it.

If not, I'd still take it in. It sounds as if there are still those things inside the device itself, where you cannot reach without taking it apart. You might be able to do so but it comes at a risk. If it is still not yours, then opening it would break any warranty.

Don't be embarrassed. I'm sure they've seen worse.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
+1 as above. It has to be cleaned, you are now breathing in whatever is in there. Sooner the better, but no need to call 911. It was from your neighbor and most likely one of the reasons you moved. Not your fault and no reflection on you. "They developed a roach problem and we moved as soon as we could, but it seems my CPAP machine was already contaminated" Hummm are there roaches still in there? eggs? get it cleaned.

Post Reply Post Reply
I beg that you do not use the machine until this is resolved - who knows what could be in the machine but roaches are obviously carriers of a whole petri dish worth of pathogens. Also, please do not be embarrassed to ask your DME for service - you're not in any way at fault and I'm sure they've seen worse. Just tell them exactly what happened, and if they are human at all, they will help.

Unless you are highly mechanically inclined, I would not open up the machine. Also you might void the warranty, if you have one. Please just take it to your supplier, and let us know how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
You would think the intake filter would keep out roaches -- at least as far as getting into the air path.
I know Supplier #2 says their used machines are sanitized. So, there must be a way to do so.

I'm guessing not every DME has the ability to sanitize the air path.
I would want a new machine.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for the replies! Yes, I'm renting it. I will take it in asap I suppose, because the thought of breathing that mess in is just disgusting. I know roaches happen, I just don't want them in my machine! Lol! And they were everywhere.
Post Reply Post Reply
ah when the system is in use I doubt they could get into the air path. However when the mask is off there is a very direct way into the air path. Just say'in
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not really the squeamish type, but roaches make me do a full-body shudder, especially lots of them. UGH! Hope you get this fixed soon, and please keep us posted on the resolution.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2016, 02:14 PM)Possum Wrote: I'm not really the squeamish type, but roaches make me do a full-body shudder, especially lots of them. UGH! Hope you get this fixed soon, and please keep us posted on the resolution.

Will do! I'm the same way. Unsure
Post Reply Post Reply
I would bet that disinfecting the humidifier, hose and mask would take care of most of these issues. A product called Ozium is also very effective at disinfecting the blower and air pathways. It's available at automotive stores and online and is often used to deodorize and disinfect seriously bad cars and hotel rooms. Just spray some on a cotton ball or tissue and place near the CPAP inlet. It will do its work in about 15 minutes of run-time. I have actually removed cigarette smoke using this.

The only other thing that can absorb odor in the machine are the dry-lock silicone seals and outlet seal on a PRS1 humidifier. I'm sure most machines have similar silicone seals that can be replaced. The actual hard plastic and electronics are not capable of holding contaminates.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,791 2 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,810 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,211 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
  Burning Smell? BC3B 33 19,395 10-25-2023, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Teddyg
  [CPAP] Sweet morning smell..... H2Daddy 12 8,823 10-24-2023, 12:23 AM
Last Post: fly by night
  Resmed Climateline tubing smell wenfroed 21 7,658 10-08-2022, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Resmed Airsense 11 very warm to touch with burning smell Sweet72947 0 1,467 08-21-2022, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Sweet72947

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.