Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Neti Pot - Not just for those annoying colds
RE: Neti Pot - Not just for those annoying colds
(03-28-2012, 09:28 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: I never tried the squeeze bottle things. I remember reading somewhere that many doctors do not recommend their use because of the increased pressure resulting in water going where it ought not to go (lungs, for instance). They stated that the Neti pot is a less invasive and safer way to irrigate the nasal tissues.

Of course, if one can use the squeeze bottles without getting water into one's lungs, I would think that it would be a more complete way to "flush" the nasal cavities, since it's pressurized water.

I have and use the squeeze bottle. granted it's gross but it DOES work.

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Neti Pot - Not just for those annoying colds
(11-14-2013, 05:49 PM)Lukie Wrote: I read that it is better to use distiller water because two users in recent years got a brain eating amoeba infection. I know it is rare but I think I would use distilled.

There have been 3 or 4 cases of tap water - neti related Naegleria Fowleri (brain eating amoeba) infections in the past 20 years in the US. Even if you assume that it sometimes goes undiagnosed, the odds of getting it from tap water seem pretty low.

You could probably boil the water as well, but I'm not 100% sure boiling kills N Fowleri.

I prefer the squeeze bottle SinusRinse brand. It's easily to find at Walgreens and other chain stores.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP causing colds/sinus infections?? Decoy Dave 4 832 01-11-2022, 11:43 AM
Last Post: Decoy Dave
  Mask similar to Dreamwear Nasal without the annoying air jet? StaphAttack 8 1,059 07-17-2021, 06:12 PM
Last Post: factor
  F&P Simplus FF leaks getting annoying snowboardjoe 5 1,845 09-20-2018, 09:35 AM
Last Post: Melman
  less colds using CPAP Slim1950 2 1,402 12-20-2016, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Beej
  [Equipment] Annoying on/off beep on Respironics BIPAP S/T C series rcattell 8 6,157 11-06-2016, 12:07 PM
Last Post: rcattell
Question [CPAP] Annoying Whistle Sound SMD38972 12 15,869 09-17-2016, 08:33 PM
Last Post: old82
  cpap and colds somnia16 16 3,459 09-09-2016, 11:14 PM
Last Post: mikeindc

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.