Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Need a non-welt producing Full Face mask - HELP!!
Question 
Need a non-welt producing Full Face mask - HELP!!
I need a non-welt producing Full Face mask. Nasal masks do not provide me with sufficient restraint to prevent leaks. And as you all know leaks invalidate much of analysis software’s output. I have both Dreamwear mask types. The Dreamwear Velcro felt pads only marginally reduce welts caused by the full-face.  I know I shouldn’t chase a zero AHI but I have come very close but only when my restraints are tight.  In fact unless my restraints are tight my scores are all over the map from 3.0 to 8.0 and vary ridiculously night to night.
The full-face has 4 restraint points where as the nasal mask has only 2. I just bought a Tap PAP nasal mask that is unique due to its pliant molded bite-plate that seems to hold the nasal device fairly well but not enough to prevent the nasal pillows that insert into your nostrils from becoming dislodged during sleep. Very frustrating because it caused no welts and tests, while awake, were excellent. Where do I go next. Is there something proven to prevent welts I could use with my Dreamwear FF mask? Or is there a non Resmed or non Philips Respironics FF mask I could buy. Help!!
Below I expound on my problems with the nasal mask and how I use my Wellue ORing Oximeter ($179.00) which is supported by excellent analysis SW for PC and smartphone.
The nasal mask leaks the most when I am sleeping my best because that is when I have my most vivid dreams (I’m either fighting or loving LOL) that cause me to move around a lot. But the movement does not impact my oxygen which is usually flat-lined at, at least, 98% for long periods of time.  I suspect some of this flat-line (once for 4 ¼ hrs.) would be REM sleep. Because my dreams are so vivid I’ve been wakened by my Oximeter Ring’s vibrating high Heart Rate alert (I set my threshold to 110 for high and 40 for low). I rarely get woken by an oxygen drop vibrating alert (my threshold is set for 92% - default is 88%) probably because I keep my Minimum Pressure set close to my Average Pressure used level. I should add, the high HR is of no concern in the above scenario because it is the result of excitement in my dream not movement (which the ORing tracts very well) and not a deep oxygen drop.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need a non-welt producing Full Face mask - HELP!!
Hi Jas102543,
I am a side-sleeper and mouth-breather, so I have used a FFM since the beginning.  I have had the best luck with the Fisher&Paykel Simplus.  I have also tested the F&P Viera, but it seems not to fit my face as well. Both have large bellows folds in the silicon seal at the nose bridge area.  You might try one or both of these.  Supplier #26 (see top banner) has an excellent mask return policy, which reduces the financial pain of tryouts.  I also found a fitting guide .pdf document on their site.

Good luck on your hunt.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2020, 02:52 PM)becker44a Wrote: Hi Jas102543,
I am a side-sleeper and mouth-breather, so I have used a FFM since the beginning.  I have had the best luck with the Fisher&Paykel Simplus.  I have also tested the F&P Viera, but it seems not to fit my face as well. Both have large bellows folds in the silicon seal at the nose bridge area.  You might try one or both of these.  Supplier #26 (see top banner) has an excellent mask return policy, which reduces the financial pain of tryouts.  I also found a fitting guide .pdf document on their site.

Good luck on your hunt.

Thanks a lot A. Becker and say hello to each  B and C Becker.  Your suggestions are the type of information I am seeking. You can rest assured I'll pursue each of your suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mouth breather and side-sleeper here as well. I've used the ResMed AirFit F20 (large) and the AirFit F30 (medium) with good results. I swap back & forth between the two. I use the F30 more often though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks "Large Male"! I followed your suggestion and I am now waiting to receive from [Commercial Link Removed] the ResMed AirFit™ F30i Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear. I had originally, foolishly, ruled out a ResMed mask because on the surface their latest appear to be duplicates of the latest Dreamwear masks that I have. ResMed has moved their hose port to the top of the head so it looks identical. However, what can not be seen clearly in pictures is the shape of the under the nose pillow on the Dreamwear is perfectly suited to those patients that "chase park cars". Yup, they are for square headed, flat faced people. LOL Unless I'm being hoodwinked, I'm expecting the ResMed F30i to have a contoured shape more conducive to the shape that the average Bear has (I still consider myself an "average" bear because I've been known to crap in the woods occasionally - I kid you not Big Guy). 
Sleep-well

-----
Moderator Action: Commercial Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
I have found keeping myself well hydrated makes the difference between a 45 minute "Mask Face" and up to several hours if I am really dehydrated. All of the coffee and other go juices tend to dehydrate me so I have to make a concerted effort to get my daily water intake.
Post Reply Post Reply
With any kind of face mask, my jaw goes slack as soon I as reach deep sleep. To maintain the seal, it has to be really tight. However, I just started using the Releaf collar, which is not the most supportive but is very comfortable. This allowed me to loosen the straps, which helped a lot. Padacheek mask liners also help a lot.

I’m currently using the F30i. I’ve lost a lot of weight this year, so the fit of everything keeps changing, but I’m using the small headgear with a medium mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
A few things that may help your mask situation. It is possible the mask is not being adjusted properly, as in according to directions. The mask should be firmly but not tightly attached. The objective is not to smash the cushion, as this will cause the mask to leak more than less. From there, the checklist is to decide if your mask has the right sized cushion for you. If that checks, then it is best to replace that mask with a different one. I've used the Fisher & Paykel Simplus and Vitera full face masks at sleep studies this year. I was given the Simplus at the end of the most recent study, and I find it better than the F20 from ResMed.

Another area of consideration is that with pillows masks, assuming these are the newer style, the cushion is not to be inserted into your nostrils but on them with maybe a very slight amount being inserted into the nostril opening. I say new style, as there were older prong masks that did insert deeper than the pillows mask. In the case of pillows masks, you may have the wrong sized cushion for proper fit.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, absolutely, the mask will seal best if not overtightened.

I use a fine-point Sharpie to mark the straps in small increments. Sometimes, even a very small adjustment can make a difference. If a change makes the leaks worse, the marks make it easy to get back where you were.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need a non-welt producing Full Face mask - Update: Problem solved – no more welts
Kudos to the “Large Male” member known by the sobriquet “Big Guy” who suggested I take a closer look at ResMed masks. I had foolishly written off their latest copy-cat appearing versions of Dreamware’s nasal and FF masks because as viewed in pictures they appeared to be identical. What I didn’t see was the ResMed nose pillow had a contoured shape where as the Dreamwear pillows were shaped best for users that chase parked cars. Yup, Dreamwear pillows are for people having square heads and/or flat faces.

I love the ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face. First night AHI was 0.6, my best score to-date. It hasn’t leaked once nor has it required me to overly tighten the mask restraints to stop leaks. And for some unknown reason I don’t have to tape my mouth shut. May take me awhile to figure that out. LOL

Bottom line: I highly recommend the F30i. Unlike previous F30’s, the F30i has the hose connection on top of the head which is major improvement.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,581 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 395 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 594 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 168 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.