Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Need advice
Grin 
Need advice

Trapped in blizzard. Tap/filtered water or humidifier shut off?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need advice
Many people use plain tap water. Whatever you've got; if it's drinkable, you can use it.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very much justMongo for the quick response. I will go ahead and do that. I appreciate it a lot
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi FallenAngel326,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2016, 03:44 PM)FallenAngel326 Wrote: Thank you very much justMongo for the quick response. I will go ahead and do that. I appreciate it a lot

I use plain tap water and dump it every single morning, and dry the outside of the tank and put it back in machine and run warm-up cycle to dry out it and the hose.

Every week or two I will let the tank soak in the sink an hour (or all day) with an ounce of white vinegar in the tank and the tank filled up to the brim with more tap water. The mild acid in the vinegar dissolves any mineral deposits in the tank.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum FallenAngel326! Hope you are not snowed in too long!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2016, 03:36 PM)FallenAngel326 Wrote: Trapped in blizzard. Tap/filtered water or humidifier shut off?

I agree. If you can drink it, use it. The primary reason we use distilled water is to avoid mineral accumulation. You can always soak it in vinegar/water (1:5 or 1:8) to eliminate any accumulate, but you may not even need to do that. I used tap water in my brother's bipap for a week and the accumulation simply disappeared during regular rinsing.
Post Reply Post Reply
As long as your water is better than that in Flint, MI, and doesn't have any unusual cloudiness or other possible pollutants, you should be fine with tap water. I would recommend dumping it when you wake up and letting it air dry. If you start seeing and deposits, usually white, or start noticing any odors, you should clean it with vinegar as described by others.

The only purpose for distilled water is to avoid deposits and residues.
Walter W. Olson, Ph.D., P.E.
Mechanical Engineering
Professor Emeritus, Professional Engineer
Post Reply Post Reply
Not trying to gross folks ourt but at least here, there is an "acceptable amount of human feces" in the city water.
Hence we drink bottled spring water.
And im sorry but there is no acceptable amount of human feces im blowing up my snoot under pressure LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
Ghost, I wonder how do you wash your face... especially if you consider what fish do in the water!!! And do you have a humidifier in your home?

In a pinch, I never hesitated to use tap water in the humidifier. I boil it first or let it stand for couple hours to get rid of chlorine but, I don't consider it mandatory. You can also run it through a filter. I have a Brita bottle that I do use for drinking but never bothered with filtering for the humidifier.
Everything I post on this board is nothing more than an opinion expressed by an apneak. Normally, it's based on facts and experience but sometimes, I may get things wrong or not have all the facts.
I reserve the right to change my mind. Why? Because tomorrow I may know better.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 168 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 256 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 853 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,784 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 77 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 787 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.