Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Need help for a mask that will not leak at high pressure
Need help for a mask that will not leak at high pressure
Hello, I am back with another question. I have been on CPAP since 1994 and am a mouth breather. I sleep on all sides with movement all during the night due to sleep terrors and such. I recently had a new sleep study done within the last 3-4 months and my pressure went from a 16 to a 28! Mind you the last sleep study prior to this was with the VA about 8 years ago which had me at a 16 but I have had a LARGE weight gain since that time after several neck, back and shoulder surgeries.. The VA has been reading my card every 3-4 years claims all is good. Every mask I have tried leaks at this high a pressure even though in the specs it says up to a pressure of 30 for most masks. Several folks on here said I should get another study because they believe a mistake was made but lo and behold I had another study done 2 weeks ago and it is at 28. I have tried the following full face masks with no success: F&P FlexiFit 431. Mirage Quattro, Amara View, AirFit F20 with silicone and the memory foam insert and the Ultra Mirage. I am thinking of trying a total face mask hoping to prevent the leaks. Can someone tell me the difference in these 2 total face masks? FitLife Total Face CPAP Mask and just the Total Face Mask both by Respironics?  Any help would be helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need help for a mask that will not leak at high pressure
Exactly what machine was prescribe? Is it bilevel? Your pressures are very high and curious if you ever tried a soft cervical collar to keep your airway open?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used the FitLife Total Face CPAP Mask for 7 years. My pressure was 16/12 on a Respironics Bipap. It leaked but it was usable. The attachment below shows the statistics for the Fitlife used with the 16/12 pressure. Not too bad.
[attachment=6030]

I now use a different machine and the pressures go up to 25, It is the F20 Airfit ( the one with the silicon ).

[attachment=6031]

Notice that I have zero leaks at 25cm/H2O

I hope this helps.

Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
If you want to try a full face/total face, make sure you can return it. I tried 2 nights in a hospital, and within two hours ripped it off because of severe headache / pain. Could be my long hair, but I've not had pain issues with many masks other than the Amara view (hurt my nose, gave it up. Don't know what to do with mask/3 replacements, guess I'll use in emergency, but I'd go back to my Quattro first).

As for leaks, I'm fairly sure mine are positional. Plan on posting a thread about my issues soon...
Post Reply Post Reply
Most people with OSA consider themselves mouth breathers but that does not necessarily mean they can't use nasal pillows.

Nasal pillows are the best sealing mask type since the blow-off load is much less, and they create a positive seal (pressure helps them seal better).

Unfortunately, mouth leaking is common at high pressures so I use the Ultimate Chin Strap to manage mouth leaking.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 5 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 237 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,410 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 125 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 696 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 141 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 106 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.