Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Need recommendation on facial red marks, and perhaps a cpap pillow
Need recommendation on facial red marks, and perhaps a cpap pillow
Hello all,

I did some quick searching through the forum about cpap pillows but didn't find what I needed so I figured I'd write a post and ask all of your advice.

First off, I am a stomach sleeper. I've tried to fall asleep on my back, but it just doesn't work. Now that I have a cpap machine the stomach sleeping is a little more difficult, but still is necessary.

The problem is that I have red marks on the side of my nose now which I don't particularly like, and sometimes I wake up with the mask leaking because I'm jamming it into the pillow. I'm also not too fond of the constant white noise generated from the exhaust blowing onto the pillow.

I'm currently using the Mirage FX nasal mask, I tried the Swift FX, but I just can't get accustomed to wearing the mask on my nose. It just feels too weird to me.

So now I'm beginning to consider a special pillow purchase. The one I've seen online that seems to be well constructed, with the cpap user in mind is the CountourLiving CPAPMax (tried to post a link but the forum permissions prohibited that)

I was wondering if any of you

1.) Have a recommendation for a cpap pillow for stomach sleepers
2.) Have any methods for minimizing/curing the red marks on one's face from the mask.

Thanks in advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need recommendation on facial red marks, and perhaps a cpap pillow
There are some liners you can try. They may help with the wrinkles. Zonk makes his own out of old tshirts.

There are some reviews of pillows in the Review section
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-old-forum
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...PAP-Pillow

I don't think any of them were recommended.

I never sleep on my stomach so I have no advice directly related to that. But I sleep predominantly on my side. I have a feather pillow. I sleep with my head on the edge and the mask hanging off. The feathers let me shape it to whatever shape I need. Because of neck issues, I also punch a divot in the pillow where the mask is so I have full head support.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Also go to Supplier #1 and read customer reviews for various CPAP pillows
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Have tried sleeping on your side or even on your stomach with head turned on the side so your poor little nose not get squashed with the pillows

Edit: Paula knows me. You can make your own mask liners for few cents. Ready made liners can be expensive and waste of money

A piece of cotton jersey material cut into approx shape of the mask with a hole in the middle for your nose
It might take few tries to get the right shape but when you do, make a cardboard cut-out to keep
Just place on top of the material, trace and cut away ...

You may also get in touch with "Becky at RemZzzs" for a free sample
She posted in this thread "Remzzz liners" ... Commercial Posts

Pad a cheek another liners, Karen used to be a member in the old forum
She is CPAP used herself and her liners are washable (RemZzzs liners are not washable)
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for the links and advice. I did some searching in the review forum, but perhaps I just missed the posts. I appreciate the links being pasted here without STFA ;-)

I have some old t-shirts I'll try that trick.

Is there any trick to getting the redness to go away in general? Face cream or lotion? (I already have the red marks)
Post Reply Post Reply
No, just time. Lotion might make the skin more flexible and more willing to go back into shape.

Is it like dents (like you slept with a wrinkled sheet) or red marks that are sore?
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2013, 08:44 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: No, just time. Lotion might make the skin more flexible and more willing to go back into shape.

Is it like dents (like you slept with a wrinkled sheet) or red marks that are sore?

More like red marks. Looks like a sunburn but isn't.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe its skin reaction to the material used in the soft cushion of the Mirage FX
Try different mask, In meantime time can you still use the Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Wash the mask well with a mild soap or in soapy water. Rinse thoroughly then rinse some more. Let air dry completely. It could be a skin irritation. Several people here have had reactions to masks because they used it right out of the box vs washing first. You'd think you wouldn't have to! Others developed problems later.

The few times I've tried nasal masks, I had rash-like areas on my face, the perfect outline of the mask. We think it was heat related. Not a problem with nasal pillows!
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Forgot to ask, what S9 model are you using
Next to stop/start button shows the model name ... AutoSet, Elite, Escape, Escape Auto

AutoSet and elite are data capable machines
Escape is not data capable machine, just shows usage hours, no efficacy (AHI, leak, detailed data, etc ..)
to help you and your doctor to know if the therapy is working as should
Post Reply Post Reply
iwanttosleep, the red marks are from either the silicone touching your skin or possibly the mask being too tight, I make my own mask liners as well, here is what I do:
I bought some Remzzz’s mask liners a 6 pack and although they say to only use them once you can wash them and get about 5-6 uses. I then made a template of what I needed from their liners and went to a fabric shop and got 3 ft of 50% cotton/ 50 % poly fabric and cut out my own and they also last 5-6 uses, the next time I bought 3 ft of 50% cotton/ 50 % lycra fabric. That last me about 3 months and costs about ten dollars. No need to do any sewing.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  [Pressure] Request Recommendation for a Dial Manometer Samwrites 4 119 03-24-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,865 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 265 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 451 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] BiPAP Replacement Recommendation Prowler 1 264 01-28-2024, 09:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Equipment] N30i / P30i pillow attachment fail glomph 2 342 01-09-2024, 09:10 PM
Last Post: glomph

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.