Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Need some help and advice on new machine.
Question 
Need some help and advice on new machine.
Hi peoples:
I'm still around.

It's time for a new machine and I need some advice and help as to which machine to get.
I have been using a ResMed S9 Elite with very few problems.
My DME is trying to steer me to Philips Resperonics.
She has offered me a new Remstar System One Pro,(Last years model) which would cost me $215 out of pocket.
Also in the offering is the new Dreamstation Pro ( with heated hose), for $415 out of pocket.

My question is...is there enough of a difference between the machines to warrant spending the extra $200.? I don't mind spending it if the new machine has more benefits and options.

Thanks all
Bompa
CoffeeDont-know

Please Take Care, Stay Safe and follow the guidelines to Stay Healthy!  Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need some help and advice on new machine.
(03-08-2016, 05:25 PM)Bompa Wrote: Hi peoples:
I'm still around.

It's time for a new machine and I need some advice and help as to which machine to get.
I have been using a ResMed S9 Elite with very few problems.
My DME is trying to steer me to Philips Resperonics.
She has offered me a new Remstar System One Pro,(Last years model) which would cost me $215 out of pocket.
Also in the offering is the new Dreamstation Pro ( with heated hose), for $415 out of pocket.

My question is...is there enough of a difference between the machines to warrant spending the extra $200.? I don't mind spending it if the new machine has more benefits and options.

Thanks all
Bompa
CoffeeDont-know

I found the prs1 to be too noisy, though I was going from an elite to the auto, I also didn't like how it 'felt' breathing into it as much as I liked the elite. I'd hold out for a discounted s9 autoset or air10 autoset Big Grin

I have no first hand experience with the dreamstation
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks palerider.
I was hoping for a few more responses but I guess everybody is busy.

Coffee
Please Take Care, Stay Safe and follow the guidelines to Stay Healthy!  Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
My advice is to go for an Auto Cpap, but I don't know what your situation is, if you have any insurance coverage or is it strictly out of pocket?

An Auto Cpap would take care of any changing needs going forward, and you can still set it to a straight Cpap mode.

If you are paying yourself, have you looked at Supplier #2 for new open box units?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you liked the resmed, you may not like the resp... people seem to strongly prefer one or the other. Thats my .02
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Palerider.. I most often lean toward the "newer is better". CPAP devices are well known to be constantly improved on by the manufacturers thru better research, techniques and better parts. The life expectancy of a CPAP machine is 5 years. That isn't very long considering that it is mostly a small fan. I have a big box fan that must be 25 years old and runs like a charm.. can't say the plastic handle and grid screen has held up good. Also, you might just ask the DME to show you the total running hours (not therapy hours) on any so called last years model.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2016, 09:21 PM)JudgeMental Wrote: Palerider.. I most often lean toward the "newer is better". CPAP devices are well known to be constantly improved on by the manufacturers thru better research, techniques and better parts.

euh... sure. are you sure this was meant for me?

I often want to, within reason, go for 'newer is better' even though you won't find me camping out for three days so I can be the first person to get some new mobile phone... Too-funny

that said, the latest revisions in the cpap world (s9 ->air10 and prs1-> dreamstation) seem to be smaller steps than the s8 -> s9 and M -> sys1 move of a few years ago.

the dreamstation has a couple more features, (some of quite dubious value, like "ez start" (or more apneaforyou mode) and it *may* have new internals, I haven't taken one apart yet. the sys1 line had pretty much the same blower motor inside as the old M machines.. large and clunky.

I have been inside a bunch of S9 machines and got good pictures of the disassembly and guts of a air10, and it's the same dual turbine high speed low intertia blower as the s9 line... just a different (some would say prettier) package, with the same features, except the "autoset for her" mode on one mode. (I came to this conclusion after comparing the clinical manuals from the various air10 machines with the corresponding s9 machines)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,086 Yesterday, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 169 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,449 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  New user looking for Advice NeedSleepnea 15 325 04-01-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: NeedSleepnea
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 18 458 03-31-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 278 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 1,014 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.