Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] New APAP Machine
New APAP Machine
I had a sleep study about 3 years ago,,,,, my pressure was 11 cm....my headaches went away...more energy awesome..... Anyway earlier this year I started feeling fatigued. My doc wanted me to do a repeat sleep study.....but my insurnace doesn't cover this that well. So I bout an Auto titrate and set t to 4 - 20 cm....I have reviewed the last 3 days.....O apnea, O snoring, O AHI, etc.......average pressure 4 cm? WTH? Has anyone had this happen.

Robert
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New APAP Machine
We've heard reports of people getting weird or missing the data the first night or two with a new machine. Your machine is not one that I'm familiar with. I wish I could be more help.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did test it the first day..with fake snoring, fake apneas, shallow breathing..the machine did pick up all the fake events well...

I am wondering if my sleep apnea has improved/
resolved and the CPAP was causing multiple arousals during the night

Robert
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:O apnea, O snoring, O AHI, etc.......average pressure 4 cm

Hi Robert,

That's possible, but VERY highly unlikely, unless something has changed in your life to completely "cure" you of sleep apnea (weight loss, surgery, etc.).

Remember that one night's worth of data does not a trend make. It's possible that the machine starts the day differently from what you start yours. I'd keep using it for another night at least and then check data again. You'll likely see something then.

If not, come back and perhaps we can help. Could be a problem with the machine or something else.

One thing I would change is narrowing up your pressures a bit. Operating a CPAP in wide-open mode (4-20 cmH2O) usually doesn't provide the best therapy. I'd start your pressure at a minimum of 6 or 8 and perhaps 5-6 cmH2O above your suggested titration pressure of 11 for the upper limit. Perhaps a range of 8-17 to start off, then adjusting for best AHI after that.

Click HERE for our page on how to best adjust your pressure for the lowest AHI.

Let us know how it goes, and - Welcome
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi revo39564 and WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm not familiar with your machine but hang in there for more responses to your post. Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks...I was taking testosterone shots when I was titrated.... I think that worsened my sleep apnea. The sleep study showed a few central but mostly obstructive apneas....My sleep has been poor since I was 8 years old.....

I was going to give it 1 week @ 4 -20 cm.......then switch it to 8-14 cm until I f/u with my pulmonologist. I just find it strange for 3 nights I have averaged 4 cm.....my old CPAP machine always reported an AHI of 0.1 for the last year or so........Glad I found this awesome website
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2012, 11:01 PM)revo39564 Wrote: thanks...I was taking testosterone shots when I was titrated.... I think that worsened my sleep apnea. The sleep study showed a few central but mostly obstructive apneas....My sleep has been poor since I was 8 years old.....

If that's the case, it's possible that you were incorrectly titrated 3 years ago and that the titration showed a higher AHI than what was normal without the testosterone treatments.

I'd check to see if somehow the doctor could order a new sleep study as a "medical necessity" due to a flawed initial study. Perhaps that way insurance/Medicare may agree to pay for it. Not sure if that would work or not, though.

Quote:I was going to give it 1 week @ 4 -20 cm.......then switch it to 8-14 cm until I f/u with my pulmonologist. I just find it strange for 3 nights I have averaged 4 cm.....my old CPAP machine always reported an AHI of 0.1 for the last year or so........Glad I found this awesome website

The Zzz-Ware Advance Therapy Tracking Software should have come, free of charge, with your new machine. If you didn't get it, ask your Durable Medical Equipment supplier (DME) for it - it came in the package, assuming your machine was new.

Use the software to keep track of variations in pressures, AHI & leak. If there's absolutely no variation whatsoever, something isn't right with the machine.

4.0 cmH2O of pressure is hardly any pressure at all. If this machine is working correctly and your AHI is 0.0 with 4.0 of pressure, you likely don't have sleep apnea.

But I suspect something else is going on here.

Thinking-about

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
If you have a leak in the mask (as in it moves in the night) then your data is going to be skewed.

If you continue to get the 0, try unplugging the machine, wait a half minute, then plug it back in.

Also, are you getting this data via the screen? Most machines reset the data at noon. So if you are looking at the screen after noon, it will be 0.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
yeah I am using the advanced software ...quite nice software......leaks are below 40.....got a new mask when I changed machines......I am going to give it more than 3 days....Maybe I will get a sinus infection or head cold and see if this affects it.....
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 491 Yesterday, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 376 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,364 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  New APAP machine Robert Detz 0 83 03-13-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Robert Detz
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,108 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 550 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
Gross [Diagnosis] Moved from APAP to BPAP and struggling Spicykielbasa 1 194 03-10-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Spicykielbasa

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.